Foreflight Primer

Dean Dyke

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Alger60
Just asking, as a PPL student I didn't know what I would need from Foreflight so never bothered with a subscription. Now that I'm nearing solo and have a subscription I have no idea the degree of what it can contribute to my experience or even just the basics. Are there any resources out there besides the Pilots Guide to Foreflight Mobile, and iPadpilot.com?

I think the most important resource for how to utilize (and how not to utilize) Foreflight is your instructor (aside from the materials you mentioned). Then again, I earned my PPL without using plane GPS or tablets even once, so it's preference and flight school policy driving what you do.

One thing you can do is fly in X-Plane (or I think MS Flight Simulator X) while your ipad is connected to your network. Do that, and you can practice flying while using Foreflight (there are guides for how to set this up online... it's pretty easy).

I use ForeFlight for traffic, weather, sectional, etc. Foreflight with a scout is an awesome tool to have

Just start going through and tapping buttons and see where it takes you. Majority of Foreflight is self explanatory. Some it will be way out of your league as a student.

Save your money and get Avare.

Foreflight is an amazing app. When I got my PPL I had to use paper charts. As I walk around the airport, I see younger looking CFI's around and they may be familiar with ForeFlight and can probably give you. If your CFI is an old head you will probably be teaching him to use Foreflight.

One little trick on ForeFlight is a nice visualization for pattern entry. I don't use it often but it's handy to have when flying to a new airport for the first time. In the FPL box, if you click on Procedures on the right side, you may select different pattern entries (teardrop, overfly, etc). Handy, but definitely not checkride material.

I also like the ability to plan a flight on the Foreflight's website, then synchronize it with the app.

The only downside I see with ForeFlight is the cost of subscription especially now that it is part of Boeing. I am looking for other iOS-based electronic flight bag apps -- and no, I am not crazy about Garmin Pilot.

Back