What is your shortest Cross country?

KFRG to KHPN. Not sure of the mileage, but departed Farmingdale north and landed a White Plains north. I think the Hobbs-Stars lined up and the Hobbs showed 0.0 flight time. Of course it probably just flipped and/or was about to flip. Yes, Citations have a Hobbs.

WAIT!!! Could be Teterboro to Newark.... Taking off and landing south.

I've regularly gone from NC26 to 14A (4 miles away) for fuel.

When I was based at VKX I sometimes popped over to Hyde which probably isn't more than a mile.

KFLP - 3M0 Timmy was teaching me how to land on de grass.

Shortest Commercial was SXM/St. Maarten to Saba. It's about 25 miles. My shortest flight, landing on the shortest runway, and it being a legally closed runway.

Griffing Flying Service maintains regular passenger service between KPCW Port Clinton, Ohio to 3W2 Put-In-Bay.
A mere 7.5 miles from runway to runway.
"The shortest airline in the world"

I once flew from HFD to EHT, Pratt & Whitney's Rentschler Field, which is now a stadium.
.5nm

I was actually wondering if I would see this pairing... It's impossible for two airports to be closer.

LOL. Well, you have my short xc to Capitol beat. Any chance it was a 36 departure to a "straight in" on 3? Because that would be pretty funny.

No, it was from 28 to 27. I'm sure the flight distance was more than the [corrected] 3.9nm :rofl:

Airnav says 3.9nm. How do you get a distance of 0.3?

You know what, I'm not sure! :confused: I used SkyVector to get the distance, and I think I might have looked at the ETE or something else. Thanks for the check!

Mountain Valley (L94) to Tehachapi Municipal (KTSP), 2.2 nm

3. Personal flight (non-commercial)
I did KMSP to KRST in the CRJ a few weeks ago! 66 nm.
<- you own a CRJ for personal use?

You didn't specify which definition of "cross country" to use
well he did say:
Only criteria is departure and arrival airports cannot be the same airport.

But to answer the question, KSEE to KMYF and back is a pretty common hop for me, for one reason or another.. 8nm in a straight line. And with SEE usually using one the 27's and MYF the 28's you basically take off, cross a small mountain, and land

**If we're talking the 50nm rule, it's funny that people try to find airports RIGHT at 50nm, when the whole point is to build XC time. I used to do the same, KSEE - KRAL I did many times when building hours, at 70nm it was a good length, or KSEE to KHMT was 54 nm.. thing is, if you're trying to build time anyway why not do longer things? I started doing KMYF to KSBP at over 200 nm I found this still got me the hours I needed and was more experiential as far as getting settled in cruise, crossing a few different airspaces, and weather not being guaranteed to be the same as your departure, and at 160hp C172 speeds there's a good chance weather will have evolved somewhat after your departure time

I have flown in 121 aircraft from KOAK to KSFO, but not PIC so it doesn't count. That's less than 10 miles.

Part 91, as PIC I flew from KBDR to KHVN - about 14 miles.

-Skip

Last edited:
04FA - X51 and vice-versa 4.2 nm. Did it many many times in the Luscombe as it was based at 04FA which is private and does not allow training or t&g.

About 400 nm

Yeah, I wasn't referring to the technical definition of 50 miles.
There is no technical definition of 50 miles. The 50 mile minimum only applies if you want to use the cross country time against the requirements of a limited number of (as in, not all) certificates. And, for some reason, this particular minimum (and not the others that are different) applies in the mind of some people for reasons that are not clear to me.

My shortest cross country flight (according to the FAA definition) would have been between 26w and 3np. 2.6 nautical miles.

This thread proves how passionate we can be for flying when we will all fly walkable distances.

KFFA --> KMQI is a walkable "distance" of 6.0 nm, about three-fourths of which is overwater since KFFA is on the Outer Banks and KMQI is on an island in the Sound behind them. It's also the closest fuel . . .

I've made several 8nm trips from my former base at KHTW, up the river to I41, a nice 2000' grass strip. Right now, I fly 10.4nm for fuel, since there is none at my base.

And let's not forget the many flights KHTW --> KHTS, Class D, just 4.3nm across the river. Take off on 26, turn crosswind, call Tower and already be on base entry for 30. This proximity meant we turned crosswind early when using preferred 26 at HTW, to avoid accidental airspace incursion.

Last edited:
thing is, if you're trying to build time anyway why not do longer things?
If you're trying to build time then startup, taxi, run up pattern exit/entry and shutdown help pad the logbook. :)

I've done KDWA to KEDU a few times(back before they had those identifiers...) 4.4NM, good times. Would have almost been faster to taxi.

I once flew from HFD to EHT, Pratt & Whitney's Rentschler Field, which is now a stadium.
.5nm
Serves the dang place right. Went into Hartford one misty morning and Approach had me lined up with the beautiful precision-painted runway across the river and kept pestering if I "Hartford" in sight. Having never been there before, I told 'em I had it. I hadn't. A passenger who often flew in there tapped me on the shoulder and says, "Isn't that the City Airport down there on our left?" Oops. :oops: Had to make a major adjustment in landing direction.

The shortest flight I've ever been on, as a crewmember, was in Vietnam. Loaded up barrels of JP4 in a C-7A, took off, flew about a mile or less to the other side of the river and rolled them out the back, then went back for another load. Did this all morning long. Why? The Army had a heliport there and for some reason couldn't refuel where we loaded the barrels and there was no bridge. Our's was not to reason why, etc. I think we left the gear down until we flew to Long Binh for lunch.

If you're trying to build time then startup, taxi, run up pattern exit/entry and shutdown help pad the logbook. :)
This explains why people do those 20 minute run ups..!

Thing is, from a time value perspective you're going to learn more actually flying somewhere far as opposed to going to the same airport 51 nautical miles away 10 times

Serves the dang place right. Went into Hartford one misty morning and Approach had me lined up with the beautiful precision-painted runway across the river and kept pestering if I "Hartford" in sight. Having never been there before, I told 'em I had it. I hadn't. A passenger who often flew in there tapped me on the shoulder and says, "Isn't that the City Airport down there on our left?" Oops. :oops: Had to make a major adjustment in landing direction.

I worked at HFD for ten years as a line guy, flight instructor, and then charter pilot. Don’t feel bad, that was a regular occurrence there. I don’t know how many times I heard the tower say, “It looks like you are lined up for the wrong airport. We are the smaller one on the West side of the river”. :)

Are we measuring airport center to center or lift off to touch down
7OR0 6OR9 1.1nm center to center, much shorter from lift off to touchdown.

Brian

I might have a shorter one, but it was to an uncharted strip.

KNZY KSAN. 2 miles as the crow flies but I figure I flew about 2.8 from lift off to touchdown. Departed 36 at NZY, right crosswind directly into a left base for 31 at SAN. That runway isn’t there anymore. I was a student pilot out soloing, on my way to SDM to play around. I did it just to say I did it. Landed 31, taxied to the end, did a 180 on the runway, departed 13 and continued on to SDM. Told my CFI, he said don’t do it again.

I was actually wondering if I would see this pairing... It's impossible for two airports to be closer.

I beg to differ: Spadaro (1N2) and Lufker (49N) are a mere 500 feet apart, with parallel runways.

Shortest flight I've made is Goodspeed (42B) to an uncharted private strip 1.8NM south. Take off from 14 at 42B and depart straight out, turn 20° right, straight in to the private strip.

Fairfax in Kansas City, Kansas to Downtown Kansas City, Missouri the only thing separating them is the Missouri River. Both airports had a control tower and I was cleared for takeoff and cleared to land in the same transmission. The two towers had a facility memorandum that. Departed to the southeast from Fairfax and landed to the south at Downtown. Didn't get above 50 feet and wasn't airborne for more than a minute probably much less. Fairfax has been closed for many years now. They built B 25's there during WWII.

MLE - OMA or OMA-BTA. Either trip is 12 NM. The shortest I've EVER done, though, was 3M0 to BPK. A whopping 4 NM.

Back