GTX345 & New ADSB FISB Weather Products

netsurfr

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jose
Can any of you with a GTX345 connected to Garmin Pilot or Foreflight let me know if you are able to view the newest ADSB/FISB weather products (cloud, lightning, turbulence) during flight? Supposedly the GTX345 is capable of receiving and sending the new weather info and the latest version of both apps support those new FISB products but it doesn't work for me and trying to figure out if I'm the only one with the issue so would really appreciate any feedback...

Yes that's the announcement that came out last year but I'm trying to determine if other 345 owners are getting the new fisb wx products to show up on their flight apps cause I'm not

What software level are you on?

I’m flying today so I will check, but it’s looking like severe clear for the flight so not sure I’ll be too helpful.

Yea see what you get and let me know. Trying to figure out if it's a problem w/ just me. Thanks

It doesn't indicate if all GTX345's are capable or only the ones being released by Garmin to resellers today.
(I'm about to buy one and naturally want to get the connection to Ipad capability.)

Yes, it was receiving. I had clod tops and turbulence on my foreflight and the data updated a few times that I saw. No cell capabilities on any of my iPads nor did I Pack for the flight.

My 345 software was updated in Jan of this year when the mandatory service bulletin came out from Garmin. You sure your actually connected? Reset your BT and see. Wipe it from the iPads and the 345 and start over.

Mine is connecting fine. I'm just not getting the new FISB weather products to work. Must be the 345 firmware. My 345 hasn't been updated since install (last Summer). What SB are you referring to?

That's the SB for the GTN firmware to 6.51, which I already have but that doesn't update the GTX345?

I had the 650, 345 and the FS210 all done at once.

I bet that's my issue. Will have to get the GTX345 updated... Thanks!

I bet that's my issue. Will have to get the GTX345 updated... Thanks!

I'm not on that software. Mine was done Jan and they released that in Feb. Are you running a GTN?

Yes I'm running GTN's with 6.51 but my understanding is that the GTNs are still not capable of supporting the latest FISB products (clouds, turbulence, center advisories, lighting, turbulence). Garmin Pilot & Foreflight do when connected to an adsb in device that supports those and the GTX345 supports them but it must be a firmware version that was released after my install last Summer.

It’s such a complex matrix of what’s talking to what with all this new stuff. Get the updates and cross your fingers!

I know mine works feeding the iPads so somethings right.

I know what you mean but yes the gtx345 connects directly to the ipads via Bluetooth and that's how adsb info gets to ipads.

I know what you mean but yes the gtx345 connects directly to the ipads via Bluetooth and that's how adsb info gets to ipads.

If you go into Utilities in the GTN menu, open up your LRU menu and it will show all the devices. You can check your software level of each LRU from that menu. A call to the shop or Garmin with that info might make the diagnosis a bit better and save an hour of labor if it happens to not be the SW levels.

Ok checked and my GTX is at firmware level 2.12 so I bet this is the problem. Latest firmware is 2.52 if I recall so...

Mine is connecting fine. I'm just not getting the new FISB weather products to work. Must be the 345 firmware. My 345 hasn't been updated since install (last Summer). What SB are you referring to?
Mine works just like @Unit74 mentioned. To my knowledge, it hasn't been updated in the 2 years I've had it.

You mean you're getting the recently released ADSB/FISB weather products like cloud tops, lightning, turbulence, etc... to display on your ipad and your GTX345 is 2 years old?

You mean you're getting the recently released ADSB/FISB weather products like cloud tops, lightning, turbulence, etc... to display on your ipad and your GTX345 is 2 years old?
Correct. I first noticed it coming back from Sun n Fun and double verified after seeing your post on the way back from the Kentucky fly-in yesterday.

Thanks. So far the only pireps I've seen about this working has been in FF so should probably test with FF to see if I get different results than GP.

Want to circle back on this thread in case others run into same issue... My problem is fixed. Turned out it was not a firmware issue (my gtx is version 2.12 & FS510 is 2.10) but a configuration/setup issue. If you have a FS510 and a GTX345 you should either disable the BT function of the GTX and only connect to the FS510. I was connecting to both the GTX & the FS510 and that created a problem where I was not receiving the latest ADSB weather products but everything else worked. As soon as I disconnected the ipad from the GTX345 the new weather products started showing up.

Back