Rough River Kentucky Fly-in 2019 - April 26-28

Hmm... great socializing...everyone’s looking at their cell phones! LOL
Actually, they were talking about the movie The Terminator, someone threw out the challenge as to what car Arnold drove through the police station

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Just landed in Hastings. Could not reach Indianapolis Center up to about 2,500 ft ,couldnt get Louisville eirher, gave up on getting a clearance and just cruised underneath until I found a hole near Columbus. Got up to 7500 and had a better ground speed than I did down low. Made about 140-145 knots at 7500 feet.

Actually, they were talking about the movie The Terminator, someone threw out the challenge as to what car Arnold drove through the police station

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
which Bill did find out was a 75 Nova.

I think Bryan came the furthest.

Tim bested me by two miles for ground vehicles based on the distance between our houses but the ground prize must go to Bill Jennings regardless of distance since it was via motorcycle.

Cheers

Thank you everyone for your parts in making this happen! It was great to see some old friends and meet some new ones. Look forward to seeing ya'll again.

@EdFred I should have text that back to the group. I departed IFR off the ground with a phone call to get the release. It was the same for me with Indy Center not answering me till 2500-2700 I think and I was IMC out of 1500 or so. Tops were only at 4000something with smooth ride above. I had a bit of a head wind till the end where it finally died out. Always love taking off in a dreary overcast to quickly break through to this. :)
Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 4.09.00 PM.png

I knew the tops weren't very high and knew they weren't very thick I just didn't know that there's no radio contact below 2500. Had it been worse where I NEEDED clearance I would have tried 121.5 and seen if anybody could have gotten a relay for me.

Sue and I totally enjoyed the weekend. This morning’s departure should be a nice encouragement for those there looking for excuse to get their IR. As expected the tailwind home at 15,000’ was but a small fraction of the headwind on Friday. Oh well, still safely back in Atlanta in 1½ hr.
Thanks to the organizers. It was great. Looking forward to the next one.

It was so much fun! We are looking forward to next year’s fly-in. Just dropped off our furry passengers. Filed IFR, clouds were at 2,900’ up to 4,000’. Overcast clouds were all the way to Fort Wayne...

The four marshmallows enjoyed the smooth ride at 7,000’:

5F67169D-F30B-4089-AF15-E8C8EE89FE6C.jpeg

Last edited:
PoA door prize? Or? :eek:

...Plane is in the hanger.
I'm going to have a beer and start shopping for a mooney.

Ah, the siren song of more airspeed.
Resistance is futile... :D

Thanks everyone for the pictures. Those of us who live vicariously through them appreciate them a great deal!

1200 miles round trip.
Head wind both ways.
12 hours in the log book.

Plane is in the hanger.

Speed is a good thing.

What happened to the Cirrus?

1200 miles round trip.
Head wind both ways.
12 hours in the log book.

Plane is in the hanger.
Don't forget to log the Mooney time so you can get a head start on your insurance requirements. @eman1200 I am sure will sign your logbook.

@EdFred I should have text that back to the group. I departed IFR off the ground with a phone call to get the release. It was the same for me with Indy Center not answering me till 2500-2700 I think and I was IMC out of 1500 or so. Tops were only at 4000something with smooth ride above. I had a bit of a head wind till the end where it finally died out. Always love taking off in a dreary overcast to quickly break through to this. :)
View attachment 73747

That plane! Man what a freaking beast.
Can't thank you enough for taking me up in it.

The Okies are safe and sound back in the Heartland. Pretty good flight overall. 98 mph GS for the last 120 miles or so, rain showers and a bit of turb coming into Tulsa, picked up some carb ice climbing through the cloud hole over Rough River, but otherwise smooth sailing.

We had such a great time. All you guys are great fun, and I enjoy every minute of hanging with you. Even you, @EdFred . Can't wait for the next gatherin'.

Love from the Lyon clan.

The Okies are safe and sound back in the Heartland. Pretty good flight overall. 98 mph GS for the last 120 miles or so, rain showers and a bit of turb coming into Tulsa, picked up some carb ice climbing through the cloud hole over Rough River, but otherwise smooth sailing.

We had such a great time. All you guys are great fun, and I enjoy every minute of hanging with you. Even you, @EdFred . Can't wait for the next gatherin'.

Love from the Lyon clan.

I picked up carb ice as well doing that. First time it has ever happened to me.

Only ice I got on the way back was what I had mixed with my bourbon while I was flying. Wait what?

Back