Spirit Air - Gear Down @ 2000 AGL

MetalCloud

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MetalCloud
In Vegas and saw a Spirit on departure. He was at 2000 AGL and his gear was still down.

Any thoughts / news?

Yeah, there’s quite a downhill gradient headed to 26R.

Just thought it was odd.... I was by the pool and must have watched 3 dozen planes if not more. That was the only time I saw / have ever seen that.

Just thought it was odd.... I was by the pool and must have watched 3 dozen planes if not more. That was the only time I saw / have ever seen that.

It’s also possible the pilots delayed raising the gear just to show that Airbus who’s boss! :p

Its kind of a long shot but I had a case once where the crew miscalculated their fuel order and didn't realize until we were done fueling them. They asked us for a defuel. When we told them how long it was going to take and what it was going to cost, the crew decided to just fly the first leg a little lower and keep the gear down so they'd burn off enough to make landing weight.

You can’t take off with the brake temps above 300 degrees. That said, the brakes are automatically applied during gear retraction, and if you take off in the high 200’s that can push it over the top. You will get a warning to put the gear down for cooling.

Also certain brake mel's require a certain amount of time before retraction. Mostly for inop temp sensors.

Or the fuse plugs blow, and you have no inflated tires for landing.

I fly the Bus, and assume the Bus has the plugs like other planes I have flown.

Don't you just love all the "you don't need to know" info that's not in the bus manuals......

Don't you just love all the "you don't need to know" info that's not in the bus manuals......
OMG!!! I was blown away with the lack of info as compared to my corporate days.
I guess that’s the way they want it....

They have gotten away from the “Lets make them know how to build the airplane” mentality when there is nothing a pilot can do about it in flight anyway. Although the pendulum may have swung just a tad too far in that direction.

Back