Back in the saddle again

Mycroft17

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mycroft17
Didn't fly for over 21 years. Finally got the bug again. Took a couple months to get everything lined up for my medical, but got that last week.

Joined a local club, went out twice with a CFI, total 2.4 hours flying, 2 ground, 5 landings. Passed club checkout and Flight Review. I was expecting it to take a lot longer.

Didn't fly for over 21 years. Finally got the bug again. Took a couple months to get everything lined up for my medical, but got that last week.

Joined a local club, went out twice with a CFI, total 2.4 hours flying, 2 ground, 5 landings. Passed club checkout and Flight Review. I was expecting it to take a lot longer.

CONGRATS!!!

You had the basic skills and just needed to knock the rust off.

Don't wait another 21 years to fly again..:lol::lol:

[QUOTE="
Joined a local club, went out twice with a CFI, total 2.4 hours flying, 2 ground, 5 landings. Passed club checkout and Flight Review. I was expecting it to take a lot longer.[/QUOTE]

I got back into flying last year after 15 years. I must admit I spent considerably more time with a CFI than that. There was so much that has changed and while the physical act of flying wasn’t challenging - everything else took more time. I am also 60 and was just shy of 200 hrs total time when I restarted so that may be a huge factor as well. I then started my instrument training and will be taking my check ride next month.

Is 3 hours enough to be back in the saddle and safe after a 21 year absence? I’m not trying to be negative, but proficiency takes time. I may also be somewhat biased because I jut finished reading the “Killing Zone” about GA accident rates. Anyways - congrats on your return and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also 60, with 250 or so hours previously. I already had my Instrument Rating, and the CFI was really happy with how well I could still do hood work. We also had some gusty crosswinds this morning, so we got that review done really quickly.

I don't consider myself proficient yet, but safe enough to go up solo and knock off the rest of the rust.

Congrats!! My story is similar. Took longer to get my flight review done then check out on club plane I did separate. For me the flying part came back quick. Radio management and that new fangled thing called a GPS took awhile to learn how to integrate into the task management

29 years for me. In airplanes, that is... Been flying helicopters for a gazillion hours.

38 years for me...22-60. Now I am back at it enjoying the wonderful world of flying. I even bought a few planes.

Like riding a bicycle... :D

Good job! I didn't fly for 11 years and started again in '17. I think mine was a little over 3 hours. And still took me longer than that to get comfortable.

Back