Rough River Kentucky Fly-in 2019 - April 26-28

FYI...No fuel at Rough River so just in case you miss the NOTAM for KJQD: no fuel available until May.

We will pick up some kitties at KJQD which will fly with us to Michigan and we had planned to get gas there. So we will look for a different fuel stop...

Arriving mid afternoon Friday to stay at the Sleezy Hotel. Can’t be worse than some of the VOQ’s I was billeted in back in the day......or can it???

Cheers

Just additional info if anyone is curious.
how crazy...

April 25, 2019 at 9:19 AM CDT - Updated April 25 at 9:24 AM
HENDERSON, KY
State police say the plane that crashed in Henderson was possibly stolen.
Two men were found dead in the plane Wednesday morning at the City-County airport just after 7 a.m.
KSP says those men have been identified as 47-year-old Barry A. Hill and 48-year-old George Tucker, both from Sanford, NC.
State police say neither Hill or Tucker were certified pilots and the plane they were flying was from the Rome, NC area and is believed to have been either stolen or the men were unauthorized to use it.
State police are working with the NTSB and FAA to piece together what happened.

The plane was a Bellanca Viking...

Let's see what the weather does tomorrow. Plane's out of annual. Allegedly I'll even have working brakes now, so I got that goin' for me.

Let's see what the weather does tomorrow.

How's your xwing technique?

BECMG 2611/2612 30010G20KT 9999 SCT006 SCT015 QNH2983INS
BECMG 2615/2616 32025G35KT 9999 FEW050 520003 QNH2990INS TX22/2518Z TN11/2614Z

We going to get a bit of a late start tomorrow. Got to pull a kid out of school early and get them to grandmas before we head east. Should leave around 2pm followed by a fuel stop in Dexter or Kennett, MO. I'm guessing we'll arrive around 7:00pm.

Mebee Sat morning. Mebee just drive. We'll see. I could haul more bourbon if I drive. Prolly the same door-to-door time.

How's your xwing technique?

BECMG 2611/2612 30010G20KT 9999 SCT006 SCT015 QNH2983INS
BECMG 2615/2616 32025G35KT 9999 FEW050 520003 QNH2990INS TX22/2518Z TN11/2614Z
That correlates with the forecast 32 kt tailwind I am seeing. Hmmm.
MOS forecast has it 28020KT at 4 PM and 27012KTS at 7 PM.
Based on that, we'll probably depart KENW AM to enjoy the tailwinds, but take a long lunch and fill up in the area and get in closer to 7 PM than 4.

Reckon that forecast would make for an interesting campfire.

Cheers

That’s going to be an interesting Xwind for landing.

You've got a twin, just differentiate throttles.
Might be fun to try that technique in a sim. Tomorrow, probably not. But keep the ideas coming. I need all the help I can get.

I have booze, plates, cups, a waffle maker, mix to do breakfast in the event that there isn't a restaurant option for breakfast.
I will chip in for meat or whatever else once on site.

This is going to be fun!

Also, winds look like crap so I will be filming your landings.

As Dave said we should be there early afternoon Friday. Hope there’s still ramp parking available for a 39’ wingspan.
I thought we covered this in the past. There was a rule voted in that the twins...being they are heavy and sink in the mud...get first dibs on the paved surfaces. :)

Might be fun to try that technique in a sim. Tomorrow, probably not. But keep the ideas coming. I need all the help I can get.
Usually if I'm worried about running out of rudder I just keep the speed up to give it a little more effectiveness but with 3200 to start with...

Looking forward to seeing everyone down there!!

I thought we covered this in the past. There was a rule voted in that the twins...being they are heavy and sink in the mud...get first dibs on the paved surfaces. :)

Usually if I'm worried about running out of rudder I just keep the speed up to give it a little more effectiveness but with 3200 to start with...

Looking forward to seeing everyone down there!!

I might be the next heaviest after the twins.... hoping for a paved spot.

We are super heavy and need a spot on the pavement... :p

Somebody contact the KY Air Guard to roll out the steel planking.

Cheers

I’m altering my plans a bit, forecast winds in the area are high, OWB has a forecast of 310 18-29kts which is pretty much a direct crosswind at rough river. Supposed to die down in the evening so I’m just going to plan on being in around 6-7pm.

Can someone post a parking report tonight? Might run over in the morning young eagles got canceled.

Last second planning, gonna try and make it tonight and head out tomorrow around noon.

I’m still looking at launching this afternoon hoping the weather calms down a bit.

Halfway there. Just stopped for fuel and food. Holy crap it's bumpy we're getting our asses kicked

Wheels up around 2:30. Terrible head winds coming from Atlanta

Do any of you guys have a handheld so you can give us tips when we start arriving?

Back