Does this plane exist?

They don't want turbocharging for maintenance and costs. And pressurization is the biggest reason not to go with the Cessna 340.

So how about the 335. Same as 340 but without the pressurization

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So how about the 335. Same as 340 but without the pressurization

A 335 is still turbocharged. Frankly the turbos are the more expensive part of the equation in my experience, although pressurization is very bipolar. Crack a windshield, there goes $20k. The pressurization caused no issues on the 414 (or the MU-2... yet...) but the turbos on the 414 cost a lot of money.

So far I have heard two real solutions: 1) Southwest, 2) moving.

I'm struggling to figure out what family is actually together enough to make 900nm trips weekly (unless it's little kids, but then they'd fit in a 310), and if you were doing so, why you wouldn't just move to your destination or use the airlines, can afford a high performance twin but not turbocharging, and is surprised to find that they might actually need turbocharging and pressurization to be able to fly the mission?

So many questions...

Beech 18? It's a little older and a little slower, but you get to the destination in style.

Beech 18? It's a little older and a little slower, but you get to the destination in style.

That will get old quickly for that frequent of travel.

I wonder why piper kept the fuel capacity so low on the seneca. Why not bump up the fuel capacity and make it a 200 knot airplane?

Maybe because they already had exactly that in the Navajo...;)

Not sure why you summarily dismissed one of the airplanes that seems to fit most of your stated requirements?

However in the piston world, I think the mission screams 340 RAM VI/VII.

This. While I generally am one to talk people out of turbos unless the mission really calls for them, IMO if you're operating in the mountains on a regular basis (as opposed to just flying over, or going on a once-a-year vacation) you want the turbos. Otherwise you may find yourself in a situation where you have one engine fail, and handle it properly, but can't make it to an airport before you meet terra firma. The turbo will help you remain aloft in that scenario, and will help you get to minimum IFR altitudes in a much more reasonable amount of time during normal operations.

Now, if you're gonna have turbos, you might as well make use of them. That means climbing high on longer trips to get the higher TAS... And if you're taking pax frequently, they'd much rather have pressurization than plastic straws shoved up their nose (and causing lovely burning sensations as they dry out mucous membranes...)

The 340 is essentially a 310 with a back door, turbos, and pressurization. Yes, those things cost money, but they're worth it for your mission.

Back