Interesting coincidence while flying the other day, and some lessons learned

M1tchell

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
M1tchell
I had a good learning experience while flying the other day, and thought I would share in case anyone else can take something away from it.

I haven't been doing much flying in the past few years and been trying to get back into it, so I've been flying with an instructor lately to get my BFR (or proficiency check, whatever we're calling it now) done and to get more comfortable in the plane again.

In case you want to follow along on skyvector or something, we decided to go to Navasota (K60R) from Conroe (KCXO) and shoot the VOR approach at Navasota. Weather was good, checked the NOTAMs, good to go so we stepped to the jet. Got airborne and headed west, went to TIM the VOR.

The morse code for the Navasota VOR (TNV) is:
_
_.
..._

The morse code I was hearing though was:
_.
..._

The morse code sounded right except that the first dash was missing. So instead of morse code for "TNV" I was only hearing the "N" and "V."

We talked about it, instructor agreed that something wasn't quite right, so he suggested pulling it up on NAV2, but it sounded the same. Then he looked on his knee board where he has the morse code all spelled out, and aha, the morse code is spelling "test." So the VOR must be out.
So then he called up the Montgomery County RCO on 122.2 and asked about it, and they said yep it just got NOTAM'd out. So even though the VOR seemed to be working we figured the signal may not be reliable, so we just did some visual approaches and came home.

So back home I looked at the NOTAMs again, and sure enough, there was a NOTAM for the Navasota being out of service starting right at about the time we took off. Also I looked at the morse code and sure enough, "TEST" in morse code is:

_ . ... _

which sure did sound a whole lot like the last 2 letters of the navaid, which are:

_. ..._

So I know this got long-winded, but I was reminded of a few things and thought maybe someone else can learn from it too. Things I learned:

1. Pay close attention when you tune, identify, and especially MONITOR your navaids! This ties into #2 which is:

2. Those things can go out at any time with little or no notice! If we had taken off just a few minutes earlier, we might have tuned and identified the navaid and called it good, then it easily could have gone out in the middle of our approach or something. Maybe the navaid was still working right and maybe it wasn't, I don't know. But if we were IFR in the middle of the approach when it went out, I think its likely that we wouldn't have even known. I mean, how closely do you MONITOR the morse code while you're dealing with everything else that goes with an instrument approach?
And finally,

3. I had either never called up a FSS in flight, or it had been so long ago during my Private Pilot training that I don't remember it. But there's nothing to it, and they are very helpful. I told the instructor that I don't remember ever doing that before, so he had me call them back up and ask for the altimeter setting at my current location and the pertinent NOTAMs back at Conroe. Did it, and it was easy. So if any of you guys are like me, and unsure about calling up a FSS in flight, just call them up and ask your questions. They'll ask your tail number and current location, then they'll tell you what you want to know and do whatever they can to help.

Last edited:
Agreed re: FSS. Did it for the first time on my first dual cross country to open a flight plan. Easy and helpful!

As I read the post it sounded as if you were hearing what you wanted to hear instead of what was actually being broadcast. It's not like there isn't any task saturation while flying the plane, trying to set up for the approach while also trying to listen to Morse code. What was the little flag showing in the window of the course indicator?

And yes, I have done that before....

I have found FSS in the air to be most accommodating. I have heard folks call them in the air and ask to make phone calls to relay messages and order food.

As I read the post it sounded as if you were hearing what you wanted to hear instead of what was actually being broadcast. It's not like there isn't any task saturation while flying the plane, trying to set up for the approach while also trying to listen to Morse code. What was the little flag showing in the window of the course indicator?

And yes, I have done that before....

I have found FSS in the air to be most accommodating. I have heard folks call them in the air and ask to make phone calls to relay messages and order food.
That's right, I read on the chart what I expected to hear, then I heard it (well, 2/3 of it). In this case the 4 letters of "test" happened to be the same dashes and dots as the last 2 letters I expected to hear. That's the big coincidence I was alluding to. If it wasn't a nice clear VFR day at Mach 0.15 with all systems in the green, would I have noticed? I think so, and I hope so, but I can see how in a hurry with a bunch of other stuff going on it could have been missed. That AND it wasn't NOTAM'd out 20 or so minutes before. If it went from transmitting "TNV" to "TEST" in the middle of the approach, I think it's pretty likely that I would not have noticed since the Morse code is so similar. So from now on I'll keep that experience in mind and pay real close attention to the Morse code even after I first identify it. That's the message I'm trying to send :)

Also I don't remember what the flag showed, I guess I didn't pay that much attention before we scrapped the VOR idea.

Good pick up. Would be easy to listen to that once and think you heard it right.

I was lucky enough to know Morse code before becoming a pilot. It helped a lot during instrument training especially!

That's right, I read on the chart what I expected to hear, then I heard it (well, 2/3 of it). In this case the 4 letters of "test" happened to be the same dashes and dots as the last 2 letters I expected to hear. That's the big coincidence I was alluding to. If it wasn't a nice clear VFR day at Mach 0.15 with all systems in the green, would I have noticed? I think so, and I hope so, but I can see how in a hurry with a bunch of other stuff going on it could have been missed. That AND it wasn't NOTAM'd out 20 or so minutes before. If it went from transmitting "TNV" to "TEST" in the middle of the approach, I think it's pretty likely that I would not have noticed since the Morse code is so similar. So from now on I'll keep that experience in mind and pay real close attention to the Morse code even after I first identify it. That's the message I'm trying to send :)

Also I don't remember what the flag showed, I guess I didn't pay that much attention before we scrapped the VOR idea.

But you DID catch it though. So you only almost heard the wrong thing, you caught it. Things like sound can trick anyone. I was rcording music, and mixing it down, and was adjusting the faders for volume, and EQ, and it was almost there. So I just needed that little bit more, and adjusted fader for that track and gave it a little more mid range and volume and voila, just right.

Except I noticed a minute later, the track I adjusted was an empty track with no sound on it. I really hear my tweak make THE difference, but obviously it hadn’t.

Quick question, do you think it made your react differently that you had someone to mention it to, discuss the discrepancy with or would you have probably reacted and made the same decisions after even alone?

I was lucky enough to know Morse code before becoming a pilot. It helped a lot during instrument training especially!

Yep! I remember beginning instrument training. New-to-me instructor and I went up. At the point where I was listening to the VOR identification he says to me: "How do you know that was correct? I didn't see you verify the Morse pattern with the chart."

I just simply replied: "I don't need to."

As LongRoadBob said, you did catch it, and one of the definitions of learning is a change in behavior due to experience. So you found your mistake, corrected it, and learned from that experience. You will probably never make that mistake again. I would say it was a good flight.

Or just install an IFD540 navigator that decodes the Morse code for you ;)

Yep! I remember beginning instrument training. New-to-me instructor and I went up. At the point where I was listening to the VOR identification he says to me: "How do you know that was correct? I didn't see you verify the Morse pattern with the chart."

I just simply replied: "I don't need to."

.-.. --- .-..!

Back