Electric Scooter for OSH and other airports

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
Is anyone using electric scooters to get around at Oshkosh? Are they even allowed?

I’ve thought about picking up a compact folding bike for a while to throw in the plane when I go somewhere in case I want to get to town that’s a few miles from the airport and no crew car available. I recently visited San Diego and rented one of the Bird electric scooters and it was a lot of fun. If this could be useful at OSH that may be enough to get me over the fence to buy one.

Here is one I was looking at today.

https://gotrax.com/collections/electric-scooters/products/gxl-commuter-scooter-hand-brake-edition

Even if not useful at OSH does anyone carry something similar in the plane for getting around towns?

Not allowed at OSH. Here's mine:
upload_2019-4-22_18-11-18.jpeg
upload_2019-4-22_18-11-35.jpeg

The motor is from a company called "bike motor" and it will push me around at about 20mph on the flat.

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-22_18-9-40.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-22_18-9-40.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 17
  • upload_2019-4-22_18-10-10.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-22_18-10-10.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 16
  • upload_2019-4-22_18-10-53.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-22_18-10-53.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 17
You can use whatever you'd like outside the display grounds, e.g bike around the North 40, etc. But once on the main grounds, only EAA shuttles, EAA vehicles, feet and for those with disabilities wheel chairs. There's a company that rents motorized "Single-seat personal electric conveyance vehicles, specifically designed for those with disabilities"

(https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan...guest-services/general-disability-information)

but that's about it.

From that page:

"NOTE: Individually owned or rented automobiles, motorcycles, mopeds, bicycles, and all-terrain vehicles are not recognized as authorized vehicles for guests with disabilities and are not allowed on the convention site."

Outside the airport - whatever the local traffic laws permit.

They are allowed in the North 40 an in Scholler but not inside "the gates".

Thanks for the info. This will be my first time going and I’m planning on camping. Sounds like the scooter won’t work great for most of OSH.

it is alot of fun, has it limitations and ive have departed from it at high rates of speed before but yeah it is alot of fun!

it is alot of fun, has it limitations and ive have departed from it at high rates of speed before but yeah it is alot of fun!
I would need a death wish to get on one of those, but it sure does look like fun. I would have been all over one of those about 40 or so years ago.

I don't know what the current rules are, but back when I camped at Scholer (figure that was 2008 and 2009) you were allowed to take scooters up to the gates and park them there. I think that's still permitted. But as stated, you can't use them once in the grounds. Frankly I think it makes sense - just put on a good pair of shoes/sandals.

@jesse has had a few different manners of getting around, including a cheap Chinese dirt bike and then more recently a smaller scooter. Both of them worked really well and I think would be valuable assets to have.

The first year I showed up I rode my motorcycle - a Honda VTX 1800. That got a "scooter" pass so I rode it up to the gate each morning.

Not for oshkosh but I use a onewheel and will take it on flights with me. I have an older version onewheel plus

www.onewheel.com
Looks like it’s worth about what they want for one monthly payment. That’s ridiculous. I’ll streak across Oshkosh before I buy a skateboard I have to finance.

That looks like a broken arm and/or collar bone waiting to happen.

Ive come close! No different than a skateboard really. But my 41 year old bones can feel every fall a little too good. Not gonna lie it can bite you quick but its also realy docile and smooth if you trust it and stay within it and your limits.

Looks like it’s worth about what they want for one monthly payment. That’s ridiculous
Yeah they are expensive no doubt but dang its a blast and they are built like a tank. When I bought mine 2 years ago they had the onewheel plus and shortly after they went with the XR which tanked the resale of the plus. I do wish though they were less expensive but they can barely keep up with orders so it must be working.

Are skateboards allowed? I am in the midst of building an electric one.

I can always throw it in the plane and use it in place of a courtesy car, lol.

Holy crap, just looked at the price.

I was amazed at the number and variety of scooters and quads and golf carts and bikes and .... . Glad I took my bike, worked out great. Don't forget to take a head light for night time. Gets dark out there when in need of the biffy in the middle of the night!

I had a scooter that I brought “inside the gates”. Make you’re you walk it through the gate, or just fold it and carry it. Don’t be obnoxious about it once you’re inside either.

I have a folding bike for my personal airport transportation needs, I need to finish adding the new battery pack for it so I can be even lazier.

Off-roading with little tiny scooters isn't practical anyway.

How much crash and burn is involved until you get the hang of it?
Not much actually. I pulled it out of the box, charged it up and off I went. My wife tried it next and she did great too. The initial part is trusting it will balance you and you not over correcting, which can cause pilot induced oscillation which can result in a shoulder strike. I would venture to say the hardest part dismounting.

My crash and burns came from getting comfy on it and exploring the limits of it and me. I also ride mostly on grass but have no problem on the road either. Just figure grass is softer. Haha

Not much actually. I pulled it out of the box, charged it up and off I went. My wife tried it next and she did great too. The initial part is trusting it will balance you and you not over correcting, which can cause pilot induced oscillation which can result in a shoulder strike. I would venture to say the hardest part dismounting.

My crash and burns came from getting comfy on it and exploring the limits of it and me. I also ride mostly on grass but have no problem on the road either. Just figure grass is softer. Haha

I live in an urban environment, and most of the places I go are within a 3-5mi radius, and OW looks like a wicked cool way to get around town. Although I haven't ridden one in decades, I used to be pretty good at downhill slalom skateboarding, used to ride long board skateboards down mountain roads[1], and used to snowboard. So I think I'd pick it up. I'd really need to try one first, though, as they're kind of pricey.

[1] In the Catkills, at night, by the illumination of a friends Cadillac following us down the hills to light the road for us[2]

[2] Yeah, I know...

That one wheeler reminds me of riding a floor buffer when I was a young guy.

You a veteran? Most people I know who rode a buffer, myself included, did it in the military. And it usually never ended well.

You a veteran? Most people I know who rode a buffer, myself included, did it in the military. And it usually never ended well.

BTDT, haven't thought of butcher's wax in years...

I live in an urban environment, and most of the places I go are within a 3-5mi radius, and OW looks like a wicked cool way to get around town. Although I haven't ridden one in decades, I used to be pretty good at downhill slalom skateboarding, used to ride long board skateboards down mountain roads[1], and used to snowboard. So I think I'd pick it up. I'd really need to try one first, though, as they're kind of pricey.

[1] In the Catkills, at night, by the illumination of a friends Cadillac following us down the hills to light the road for us[2]

[2] Yeah, I know...
If you have ridden any kind of board sport then yeah you will pick it up really fast. I used to skateboard as a kid and snowboard as an adult. I had no problems on it.

And for your mission man yeah the OW is perfect! I ride mostly off road trails since I live out in the country. But I take it to work and ride it to the gym and what not. I also have the fender on mine to keep my legs clean and dry.

I haven't read up on the pint but my plus gets a good 7 miles on concrete. And it takes about 45 mins to fully charge. The XR gives you what 12 miles...you would enjoy one!

I don't know what the current rules are, but back when I camped at Scholer (figure that was 2008 and 2009) you were allowed to take scooters up to the gates and park them there. I think that's still permitted. But as stated, you can't use them once in the grounds. Frankly I think it makes sense - just put on a good pair of shoes/sandals.
I agree, it makes a lot of sense. Working for the EAA at Oshkosh and I'm sometimes on a golf cart. The hardest thing to do is avoid hitting people who are walking around while looking up! People will walk right out in front of you. Luckily, we can go out past the flight line and really get across the grounds quickly.

Thanks for the info. This will be my first time going and I’m planning on camping. Sounds like the scooter won’t work great for most of OSH.
Since you've never been there, I recommend looking into the trams. They work great for getting around and they're free. They run specific lines and you can easily get from one end of the field to the other.

Back