Learning the paperwork side of aircraft maintenance and modification?

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
I'm currently shopping for my first plane, and although I don't want to work in maintenance professionally I would eventually like to get an A&P through logged maintenance/assist time.

But for now, I am just looking at planes and trying to understand what can or has legally been done to the planes I look at.

I am really curious about how STCs, 337s, and shared type certificates work. I have lots of questions ranging from "Can I remove the back seats of a plane and subtract their weight, or would I need to have an A&P do a new W&B?" to "Since the Cessna 150/152 share the 3A19 Type Certificate, can an O-235 be installed in a 150 without an STC?"

My questions are less about yes/no answers and more about understanding the process, so I am looking for a website, some videos, or a study guide of sorts to help me better understand it. Can anyone recommend a good source?

I would eventually like to get an A&P through logged maintenance/assist time.
Give your local friendly FSDO a call and talk to a maintenance ASI and ask him what they will require for you to realize that desire.
Can anyone recommend a good source?
https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/onlineresources.aspx?categoryId=42&masterId=2&n=amt
https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/onlineresources.aspx?masterId=2&n=amt

The above links cover a number of things. Pick which ones suit you. Some of your questions would be answered easier if you had some more general knowledge that those links above should be able to fill in. Once get a basic handle on things, post your questions here. Good luck.

Well, since some of an A&P's job is to research paperwork, it seems to me that if you found an A&P to believe that what you log as maintenance time is valid, and is willing to sign you off for it, that you could cut that time down immeasurably. Last time I looked the requirements were for 18 months airframe or 18 months engine OR 30 months airframe and engine combined. I know for a fact that I was with the airlines for 5 years, but only half time since I was in college at the time. So I cobbled together three months with this mechanic, two months with this mechanic, and so on to put together that 30 months. It isn't all getting greasy, it is learning how the system works.

Jim

Most of the answers to your questions lie in the type certificate data sheet. Basically, if its not in there then you’re going to need an STC or a 337 or some other sort of supporting document with an authorized signature. I’d add that the TCDS’s are not some rigid, nailed down format they are documents that have usually been amended numerous times and have a whole lot of footnotes so interpreting them isn’t always easy.

I would start by reading and understanding of FAR 43 and 43-A,
Then know the nomenclature in FAR 1.1
FAR 91.400 series is also nice to know.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/

Read the manuals and the FARs. Regarding "an A&P through logged maintenance/assist time", that does not sound very realistic to me. It takes three years full-time to qualify and, unless you are talking about a club with a few very active a/c, it will take you forever to get that much time logged.

It has been done, but it isn't quick. If I get the chance, I would like to attend an A&P program, but stepping out of the workforce for even just a year when I don't plan on working as an A&P seems unrealistic. Working on my own plane, and helping my club, working with the CAF when I can for the next 10 years seems more realistic.

Back