Rans S-21

Kansas Flyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
James
Anyone here building one? They appear to be very impressive.

I've been following the S-21's development and I think that it might be the ideal bird for me if I ever decided to build.

I'm not building but have eyeballed them.
The deal killer for me is the useful load... especially with the the titan engine, which gives the better short field performance and better speeds. But
Im not as petite as I once was lol.
I wonder how spacious the cabin feels...

There was one at our airport this weekend. It's a very impressive plane. The cabin looks fairly large, the baggage area is also very nice. It's good looking plane too. He told us it cost about $180K to get it from the factory, but it would only cost $90K if he had built it himself.

This is the plane we got to check out. (Not my photos).
52779976_2449271818419142_6325401802304913408_o.jpg

52857242_2449272005085790_3089805730509750272_o.jpg

I'm not building but have eyeballed them.
The deal killer for me is the useful load... especially with the the titan engine, which gives the better short field performance and better speeds. But
Im not as petite as I once was lol.
Well the LSA numbers with the Titan engine are downright abysmal. But I'm not sure why you'd put a Titan engine if you were looking to go LSA. Certified as an EAB, the weights don't seem bad. Not great, but not bad IMO. I have no aspirations for bush flying but the ease of ingress with the high wing is attractive. I'd be curious to see real world numbers for an S21 on small tires and wheel pants with the Titan motor.

I’m waiting on the S-11 to come out. ;)

I was watching this with great interest until I procreated and needed a 3rd seat.

My A&P/IA is building one with the Titan Engine. Wings and most of the fuse are complete. I’ve been able to see the progress since I see him 2-3 times a year. The kit looks pretty complete with a lot of the mundane tasks complete, e.g. panels pre-drilled, etc. Still all in all beyond my skill level.

It looks like it’s going to be very nice when he is done. His problem is he is going to have to sell something to get it in the hangar - either his V-35B, his Grumman Lynx or one of his two Porches. I bet it it sits outside.

Back