semipermanent RAM mount

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
I tried a variation on a theme and gorilla glued a tee nut in a 1 1/4" disc of 3/8" plywood. The idea is to mount it to the panel with 3m command adhesive strips and then screw in a ram ball.

Last edited:
Should work. RAM makes stuff like that all ready to bolt on if that one doesn’t work. (You probably already know that.) I’m looking for a similar solution for my iPad mounted in my radio stack’s empty slots from a second radio and removed Loran unit’s previous location. Just need a solid blank to mount in my stack rails. Might hafta fabricate something.

I worry that the velcro adhesive will leave a residue when removed; command will not.

Last edited:
Suction cups invariably fall off, and I don't like being heads down with a yoke mount, so I tried making a poor man's Aspen by putting the phone over the AI/DG.

I stuck 2”x2” velcro (fuzzy side) to the back of my iPhone case (yep, don’t care how it looks) and a 2”x2” Velcro square to the airplane dash above and to the side of the instruments. I run FlyQ on it and it does not block any instruments and is just below the visual area so I am never “heads down” for a quick scan of position or traffic.

I also have a mini 4 but so far just use that on my lap or seat if necessary. I have found that 98.7% of all the functionality of an EFB (VFR) can be handled by the phone. For long XC it is nice to know that there is a backup having two devices. I have stratux with GPS so the phone also acts as a backup GPS if the stratux has an issue and the stratux and iPad act as a backup if the phone craps out.

It basically works exactly as the OP intended and easy to take on and off. So far I am at more than a year and I have not yet replaced the velcro, but I don’t think it will be a big deal to peel off the Velcro and stick new ones on. In reality, I will probably only have to replace the fuzzy side on my phone first. And I keep a set of sticky Velcro squares in my flight bag just in case.

Suction cups invariably fall off, and I don't like being heads down with a yoke mount, so I tried making a poor man's Aspen by putting the phone over the AI/DG.
It will eventually break the face of your DG. It’s a terrible idea. That glass is not designed to hold your phone. If the DG is not INOP it will be soon.

It will eventually break the face of your DG. It’s a terrible idea. That glass is not designed to hold your phone. If the DG is not INOP it will be soon.
That hadn't occurred to me, thank you.

I used velcro to attach my iPhone case’s belt clip and just snap the phone in and out as needed.

I used velcro to attach my iPhone case’s belt clip and just snap the phone in and out as needed.
My next thought was about mounting a modified belt clip to a standoff attached to the panel above the AI.

Why spend thousands on an Aspen?

Last edited:
Well, after a year, the command adhesive failed. Next up, gorilla mounting tape squares.

Attaching the suction cup at 12k ft seems to keep it on there for a loooonnnggg time

The most wonderful adhesive in the world for these things:

3m 5200 fast cure.

It will do things that vhb double sided tape can only dream of.

Put it this way: my 8 235w solar panels are mounted on top of my Rv with the brackets glued, not screwed, to the fiberglass roof with it.

15000 freeway miles and counting. Come to think of it, so is my satellite dish, WiFi extender and more.

They also sell it in smaller tubes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worry that the velcro adhesive will leave a residue when removed; command will not.
OR MELT IN THE HEAT.
Had that happen myself, makes EVERYTHING sticky...

The most wonderful adhesive in the world for these things:

3m 5200 fast cure.

It will do things that vhb double sided tape can only dream of.

Put it this way: my 8 235w solar panels are mounted on top of my Rv with the brackets glued, not screwed, to the fiberglass roof with it.

15000 freeway miles and counting. Come to think of it, so is my satellite dish, WiFi extender and more.

They also sell it in smaller tubes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5200 is indeed very good, very strong stuff. ONLY use it in instances where you NEVER want to separate the joint in the future...ever...for any reason. Personally, I hate the stuff because it's such a one-way street.

The gorilla squares seem to be a VHB knockoff. The phone, offset on an arm, puts enough torque on the mount that it twists the adhesive a bit; the 1" disc is probably not enough to hold it properly.

A RAM-B-238U with VHB tape finally did the job.

Using a smartphone as primary AI is a bad idea. I’d stay vfr while hiding my actual AI.

Agreed. Luckily, my plane is VFR only.

Even VFR I'd be reluctant. Battery goes bad / dead, smart phone over heats, etc. Even VFR I make use of the Attitude Indicator and DG.

I'm surprised the tape survived a summer with all that heat in the cockpit.

Seems to be working for you; thanks for sharing.

I swapped the x-grip for a magsafe. Seems okay so far.

Back