Six killed when plane from Houston crashes near San Antonio

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/s...s-near-san-antonio/ar-BBWbhxF?ocid=spartanntp

Six people are dead after a small plane traveling from West Houston Airport crashed at the Kerrville Municipal Airport Monday morning, DPS has confirmed.

The Associated Press is reporting all six people on board died in the crash.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the incident that took place around 9 a.m.

The Federal Aviation Administration says the wreckage was found about six miles northwest of the airport.

The twin-engine Beechcraft BE58 took off from West Airport just outside of Houston earlier this morning.

The NTSB will be leading the investigation. The names of the passengers have not been released.

Kerrville is located northwest of San Antonio.

:(:(:( RIP

Jeez man that is awful. Wonder what happened.

Too much weight burned up the fuel quicker than expected or just a miscalculation and maybe added reserve into the wrong column? Or maybe had to drive around a storm system and that used their fuel.

there were no storms, flew over there an hour later.
There was a deck at 1000-1500 but not very thick

Flat impact, tail wing distortion indicate rotation to the right,little damage to one blade on the right engine. All indicate right engine out vmc departure. Very similar to a baron accident south of Dallas years ago the killed two friends.

Flat impact, tail wing distortion indicate rotation to the right,little damage to one blade on the right engine. All indicate right engine out vmc departure. Very similar to a baron accident south of Dallas years ago the killed two friends.
The aircraft had already been in the air for over an hour and was approaching Kerrville when the accident happened.

Plane from 1999. Registered 2006 to Jeffrey Weiss of Houston.

Second class medical.

Certificate: AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
Date of Issue: 6/11/2010

Ratings:
AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND
PRIVATE PRIVILEGES
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE SEA

The aircraft had already been in the air for over an hour and was approaching Kerrville when the accident happened.

Vmc velocity minimum controllable. Lost right engine, got slow lost control entered vmc spin.

Noting to do with airport departure, departed controlled flight due to vmc loss of control.

Vmc velocity minimum controllable. Lost right engine, got slow lost control entered vmc spin.

Noting to do with airport departure, departed controlled flight due to vmc loss of control.
Ah, my bad, I read your original post incorrectly.

Ah, my bad, I read your original post incorrectly.

No prob, my post probably want really clear to people that are not multi rated.

I lost two friends years ago in a baron tho a vmc event. Photo are almost identical. Even the planes were the same colors.

No prob, my post probably want really clear to people that are not multi rated.

I lost two friends years ago in a baron tho a vmc event. Photo are almost identical. Even the planes were the same colors.
Might be onto something there.

Terrible. Right now many families and friends are suffering pain that seems it won't end.

I wish the blessings of peace to them.

Plane from 1999. Registered 2006 to Jeffrey Weiss of Houston.

Second class medical.

Certificate: AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
Date of Issue: 6/11/2010

Ratings:
AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND
PRIVATE PRIVILEGES
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE SEA

Daaaaaammmmmnnnn

Given that they had 6 on board I wonder if they went light on the fuel and ended up burning or using more than expected.. useful load around 2K lbs, right? .. since we're speculating and all

No wreckage trail, or skid marks, if you will. Like it fell straight down from the sky.

This one hits close to home, please remember that it's a small world and non-pilot family/friends are reading online looking for answers. Jeff was a super nice guy, and a very accomplished pilot. Our family lost good friends in this crash, have a little respect and give them a period to grieve before ripping the pilot apart in standard POA fashion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one hits close to home, please remember that it's a small world and non-pilot family/friends are reading online looking for answers. Jeff was a super nice guy, and a very accomplished pilot. Our family lost good friends in this crash, have a little respect and give them a period to grieve before ripping the pilot apart in standard POA fashion...

I understand what you are saying, and I sympathize with you and the family and all his friends, but I don't think anyone here was "ripping the pilot".

You see this sentiment in local news stories all the time. And while it is well-meaning, browsing relatively unmoderated Internet forums for answers into the demise of a loved one just is not the best thing to be doing. In addition, anything posted by an emotionally connected person could be used as part of a potential investigation. I’m sorry for your loss though if you personally knew the occupants.

Perhaps I misspoke, not saying anyone here has ripped on this pilot, just a friendly reminder that family and friends of crash victims often wind up reading these accident threads.

I've been thinking about this for awhile, and after looking at the altitude loss and speed excursions during the last minutes of the flight, an odd thought occurred.

As is known, there were six people on board. The condition of the crashed aircraft and a witness description of the last moments of flight are consistent with a Vmc roll and spin.

“I looked over and watched him drop down out of the clouds,” Simmons told the Express-News. “The rear end of the plane was real low, like he was trying to stay in the air. It was like he was dragging the tail end of that plane. Like he had a lot of weight in the back or something.”

The plane flew southward into the wind, Simmons said, then “banked to the right, real hard, and just flipped on over, upside down, and nose-dived to the ground.”

Is it possible the aircraft was loaded at the aft CG limit, and that after the loss of an engine, the insufficient elevator authority coupled with a higher AOA, drag created by adverse yaw, and control surface deflections caused the aircraft to slow below Vmc and depart controlled flight?

There were five middle aged men and one woman on board, but of course I cannot make any guess regarding their weight or seating order in the aircraft.

I know the aircraft had burned off fuel weight, but I don't know how that affects CG in a Baron. Another fuel consideration is that perhaps the initial fuel load was reduced because of gross weight concerns, and fuel starvation caused the loss of one engine. The resulting loss of control could have occurred before the other engine quit. This scenario could also explain the absence of a post-crash fire.

Is this really dumb conjecture?

Last edited:
No, it isn't a dumb conjecture. I had also thought about seating order and rear CG limits, but I am not familiar with the Baron.

People sometimes ask my why I chose an Aztec, instead of something faster and better looking. ;)

Vmca = 64 kts IAS, Vyse (single engine at 5200 lb gross wt) = 88 kts. Stall speed clean (at 5200 lb) = 61 kts IAS (Vso = 55 kts).

On paved runways the mains normally come off about 80 kts indicated and I am through the blue line before my hand can reach the gear lever.

Last edited:
No, it isn't a dumb conjecture. I had also thought about seating order and rear CG limits, but I am not familiar with the Baron.

The CG moves back slightly as the fuel burns off, but the plane would need to have been loaded very indiscriminately to begin with for the fuel CG shift after less than 2 hours of flight to make it uncontrollable.

I recall there is a maximum total weight limit for the rearmost pair of seats in the 6-seat Bonanzas, but I don't know if the Baron also has a similar limit. In the Bo a single adult male in the back row could easily hit that limit.

Last edited:
Back