Avidyne monitor standby frequency wiring

Piper18O

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Piper18O
We just installed the Avidyne IFD440. I think we are going to like it a lot, based on the 2.4 hours we have flown with it so far. We were disappointed in one thing. The shop that installed it, did not know anything about the ability to monitor the standby audio frequency. I read somewhere that this was possible by only wiring a couple of pins to an unused switch on your audio panel. I have a KMA 24 (the -03 version) and do not have an adf in the plane. Is this as simple as running 2 wires from the IDF440 to the adf switch on the KMA 24? If so, can anyone tell me which pinouts from the IFD go to which pins on the KMA?

Probably only one wire.

When I get to my office, will find my install manual copy, follow-up.

why would there be more wires? My Icom A210 and GTN650 do that without any extra wiring or switches.

why would there be more wires? My Icom A210 and GTN650 do that without any extra wiring or switches.
Depends on how the radio implements it. My SL30 also has a stby monitor function that's internal to the radio, and I can toggle that function via the radio controls. Since it's all internal to the radio, no extra wires are required.

The IFDs have a separate audio out for the standby freq. My IFD has the COM1 out wired to one input at the audio panel and the stby freq wired to a different input at the audio panel. I enable the function by switching ON the stby freq line for monitoring at the audio panel.

I dunno how the GTNs do it.

upload_2019-4-22_18-26-15.png

You should be able to run the line from P1006, pin 7 to the ADF In on your audio panel (J241, Pin S or Pin 11), and I rather suspect that the audio Low on pin 34 will likely be the same as the ground for all other audio on the KMA24.

View attachment 73638

You should be able to run the line from P1006, pin 7 to the ADF In on your audio panel (J241, Pin S or Pin 11), and I rather suspect that the audio Low on pin 34 will likely be the same as the ground for all other audio on the KMA24.

We need to run pin 7 from the P1006 to Pin S on the KMA 24 audio panel. Then we run pin 34 to the ground pin 1, which is the ground on the KMA 24 right?

We need to run pin 7 from the P1006 to Pin S on the KMA 24 audio panel. Then we run pin 34 to the ground pin 1, which is the ground on the KMA 24 right?

Probably, although I'd bet it works without doing the ground connection.

Back