Funny question; go kart as tug

What’s the trick? It pivots right at the front of the mower.
View attachment 73498
The only trick I know when pushing the plane with a mower setup like yours/ours is to not watch the front of the plane and instead watch the tail and turn the wheel on the mower in the direction you want the tail to go....that does work....for like 17 seconds and then the mower is at 980 degree angle to the plane :)

I have modified mobility cart with two old batteries that pull my 1350 pound plane just fine. I can guarantee my electric motor is less than 6 1/2 HP.

I don’t have any trouble with my flight crew moving my coupe in and out of the hangar. They learned early on that if they wanted to fly that they had to share in the workload of Pre and post flight ops. Even though I have a tug and a mower, I wouldn’t dream of using it for the Ercoupe. If the tires are at the right pressure it’s one of the easiest planes to move. Also, you absolutely do not want to use the tail eyebolt for towing or pushing as it’s designed more for holding in a downward position than risking putting a side load on it and damaging the tailcone.

Attachments

• 68DB2346-47C2-4D43-A52D-905F49E26939.jpeg
    68DB2346-47C2-4D43-A52D-905F49E26939.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 15
I can move a 2800 pound 182 and I guarantee I have less than 1 horsepower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Someone needs to invent a human-powered pedal tug. If I wasn't a stupid MFer, I'd do it.

I keep seeing this vision of a small go kart pulling a plane down the runway and the plane lifts off.

It is likely that the biggest issue with a go cart is that they are usually geared for speed, and aren’t designed for a lot of time getting to speed. So many of them will be slipping their clutch at the speeds that are likely of interest as a tug, which lead to an early clutch death.

Back