Baltimore Aquarium

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
was going to take the kids to the Aquarium one of the next few weekends. Was doing some planning. Seems best way is just to take the bullet and fly into KBWI. Landing fee is steep for what I’m used to with Signature but it is what it is. Close to where I want to be. Anybody have any experiences flying GA into BWI? For me it’s less then an hour flight.

It's remarkably easy as 'big' airports go. They basically have a dedicated GA runway right in front of Signature. Unless the wind is really out of the wrong direction, that's where they land us little planes.

What you pay extra at Signature, you can save on ground transportation by taking the 'Frightrail' downtown. Martin State would be another option, not sure what they have for ground transportation.

BWI is not all that difficult to fly into. Note that the fees are roughly:

$15 landing fee.
$40 parking fee to the state if you stay more than four hours.
$$$$ gouge to Signature for the privilege of walking through their building.

You'll want to call Signature.

I had a meeting at the old CIrcle-Bar-W ranch (now Northrop-Grumman) right off the airport years ago when I was based at IAD. It would have been like a 20-minute flight versus a painful drive but I couldn't burn enough fuel enroute to buy any at SIgnature's rate to get passed a substantial handling charge.

Note that BWI isn't quite in the city. You'd need to drive 20 minutes and then park downtown on the pier (not too far from the Aquarium). Mass transportation is worse. The BWI rail station takes you up to Penn Station which is not exactly in the inner harbor either.

Last edited:
Hey, or fly into Cincinnati's KLUK, and go to the Newport Aquarium, just across the river in KY. It's in an entertainment complex known as Newport on the Levee.

Back