FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
Uh oh, it's Satan's odometer reading:
IMG_20190407_204316528.jpg

Better drive some more.

Looks more like a bunch of sixes. They come after five and before seven.

Looks more like a bunch of sixes. They come after five and before seven.

My wife took her car over to get emissions inspected a couple of months ago. At the time it had a bunch of sixes on the odometers as well. The lady who was operating the emissions station seemed genuinely spooked by it, and made a couple of comments to my wife about it. There are, apparently, people who take this seriously.

I was raised Catholic, and I don't remember anything being mentioned about it. I think horror movies have more to do with the fear that some people have of that number than anything they learned in church. I do recall from my New Testament class that the Book of Revelation was mostly a commentary on the political events of the day, and that the "666" was probably a code word for the Roman emperor Nero.

Superstitions aren't based on facts or logic. So you can't reason or explain away someone's fear based on what they don't know or understand. Personally, I find nothing to fear in any number, although I have never seen an elevator un the U.S. with a button for the 13th floor. They have that button in Japan without ill effect; but Japanese has a second, often-used word for "four" (yon) because the official word "shi" sounds too much like the word for death (shi). Not being native, I have much difficulty telling the words apart, although "4" is used many, many more times and in completely different situations. "Can I have death beers?" just doesn't make any sense . . . . .

Years ago I had a ‘90 Volvo 240 wagon. I drove it until the odometer read 203966 and the trip odometer read 569.8 - which was my phone number at the time.

-Skip

Superstitions aren't based on facts or logic. So you can't reason or explain away someone's fear based on what they don't know or understand. Personally, I find nothing to fear in any number, although I have never seen an elevator un the U.S. with a button for the 13th floor. They have that button in Japan without ill effect; but Japanese has a second, often-used word for "four" (yon) because the official word "shi" sounds too much like the word for death (shi). Not being native, I have much difficulty telling the words apart, although "4" is used many, many more times and in completely different situations. "Can I have death beers?" just doesn't make any sense . . . . .

When I was in school, I lived on the 13th floor of a residence hall. The university had no intention of bowing to superstition. I have been in older buildings that did not have a 13th floor.

Countered with God drives a Jeep.
@Everskyward - she’s got a few more miles now.
24b53f5144c79f9481c53047abfca459.jpg
She never imagined that she would reach that number. Better than being a hangar, um, garage queen. Even my 2012 Forester, the only car I have, has fewer miles.

Last edited:
I’m still sad that US Highway 666 (northwestern New Mexico, near the Four Corners) was renumbered about 15 years ago, because of complaints about the satan thing.

It made perfect sense to be numbered 666, because it was a spur from the famous US Highway 66, which in turn got its number for being a spur from US Highway 6, which crossed the US (and was the basis for Victor 6 airway as well). And besides making sense, 666 was memorable, too.

It’s now US Highway 491, which is totally unmemorable.

When I was in school, I lived on the 13th floor of a residence hall. The university had no intention of bowing to superstition. I have been in older buildings that did not have a 13th floor.
The hospital I work at some of the floors have a a room 13. Some don’t. Isn’t that weird??

Back