Long cross country

Guys, from a Foreflight planning standpoint, would I treat each "leg" as a separate flight plan? I can't seem to figure out how to treat a waypoint as a full stop.

Also, on such a journey, if I'm filing with FSS is it best practice to file them separately?

Guys, from a Foreflight planning standpoint, would I treat each "leg" as a separate flight plan? I can't seem to figure out how to treat a waypoint as a full stop.

Also, on such a journey, if I'm filing with FSS is it best practice to file them separately?
Separate on both. You can save the flights separately in ForeFlight and get a briefing for each, either before you leave or before each leg. For situations like this, I do wish the EFB apps like ForeFlight would add a “divide flight at this waypoint” command so you could plan the entire trip as one and then divide it into separate legs without having to remember the entire route.

When I do trips like this I plan the whole flight but break it up into legs and brief/file each one separately. Oftentimes when you stop for gas and brief the next leg you may find that the updated weather might make it more conducive to adjust your original planned route a bit. This allows some extra flexibility in your planning and route.

Less than a month ago I did a trip from the upper Midwest to Florida in a VFR only airplane. I planned well in advance but the only thing that remained the same 45 minutes before departure were the origin and destination airport.

Earlier, someone said that you need to add 90 minutes to the flight as the preflight.

I find that on a long cross country that the weather is not perfect, I do not sleep well the night before. Add that to the go, no go, add more time to the rest leg portion of your flying.

Regarding Entire Trip Or Legs For EFB:
I use GP so call this generic. When I research a long trip I put all of them in to get total distance, total flying time, etc. But prior to flying the trip I enter individual legs. There are delays, weather changes, etc. And long trip can require more fuel than the plane holds so a single multi-leg trip will compute as running out of fuel. Breaking it into individual legs lets me fuel plan each leg. Hop in the plane, select the next flight plan, update wx and total fuel on board (since I just measured!) and get going again. Another thing, maybe GP specific is if I break them up into individual legs the automatic logging works better as I want them logged separately vs all logged as one which would require setting the max time between legs merge setting to at least 1hr or more.

Regarding FSS and VFR Flight Plane:
If you do decide to use FSS and file a plan I would definitely do them separately (per leg). You will just keep tallying up delays along the way and run the risk of being in the air, then landing on your last leg, parking the plane, arranging fuel and parking at the FBO all while your flight plan expired like 97minutes ago and your are dog tired and haven't checked your phone yet.

Actually, I would strongly recommend using FF and maybe a InReach like device or just send text messages once in awhile as to where you are at. Lots of threads on here regarding FSS flight plans vs FF. But just so much room for error as the search areas can be crazy big from expired VFR flight plans. With FF, you are one key click away from declaring an emergency and you are being tracked the entire time. Maybe a bit different if you are over large areas of no radar coverage.

Regarding Entire Trip Or Legs For EFB:
I use GP so call this generic. When I research a long trip I put all of them in to get total distance, total flying time, etc. But prior to flying the trip I enter individual legs. There are delays, weather changes, etc. And long trip can require more fuel than the plane holds so a single multi-leg trip will compute as running out of fuel. Breaking it into individual legs lets me fuel plan each leg. Hop in the plane, select the next flight plan, update wx and total fuel on board (since I just measured!) and get going again. Another thing, maybe GP specific is if I break them up into individual legs the automatic logging works better as I want them logged separately vs all logged as one which would require setting the max time between legs merge setting to at least 1hr or more.

Regarding FSS and VFR Flight Plane:
If you do decide to use FSS and file a plan I would definitely do them separately (per leg). You will just keep tallying up delays along the way and run the risk of being in the air, then landing on your last leg, parking the plane, arranging fuel and parking at the FBO all while your flight plan expired like 97minutes ago and your are dog tired and haven't checked your phone yet.

Actually, I would strongly recommend using FF and maybe a InReach like device or just send text messages once in awhile as to where you are at. Lots of threads on here regarding FSS flight plans vs FF. But just so much room for error as the search areas can be crazy big from expired VFR flight plans. With FF, you are one key click away from declaring an emergency and you are being tracked the entire time. Maybe a bit different if you are over large areas of no radar coverage.

It took me a minute to realize that the "FF" you speak of in your last paragraph was "Flight Following" and not "ForeFlight" (which was in the quote, and the general subject of the sub-thread).

Maybe we need to start calling them FlFo and FoFl. ;)

It took me a minute to realize that the "FF" you speak of in your last paragraph was "Flight Following" and not "ForeFlight" (which was in the quote, and the general subject of the sub-thread).

Maybe we need to start calling them FlFo and FoFl. ;)

Or call it radar advisories? ;)

Sorry about that. I use GP so FF means Flight Following to me :)

Okay, okay should have said Flight Following my bad :(

Hey guys, relatively low time PPL looking to take a long cross country next month. I'm ADSB in/out equipped, Forelight and onboard GPS, flying solo, in a C182.

I've broken the 9 hour trip into 3 hour blocks by making two stops, I carry 4.8 hours of fuel. I plan on flying high (11,500) to catch a tailwind on the way there (eastbound) and fly low (4,500) on the way back to duck under the prevailing wind, until I reach the rockies anyways (no less than 1,500 AGL). The trip there and back will be about a week apart, with the flights being completed in one day, providing weather allows but I will have some flexibility if conditions change. I'll watch for rotation of high and low pressure systems to take advantage of winds, and I can use Altitude Advisor in Foreflight. Besides the obvious of knowing and monitoring weather conditions, having some snacks, staying alert, etc. do you guys have any advice for a relatively new pilot on his first long XC?

Also, do we have any Wyoming or South Dakota pilots here? I've planned my stops at Converse County Airport in Wyoming and Harold Davidson Field in South Dakota based mostly on making even segments to the trip and fuel prices. Are those good stops or should I consider different airports?

Thanks
View attachment 72479

Regarding you choosing to stay low to avoid stronger headwinds up high when westbound on you legs east of the Rockies, I have found it is often bumpier down lower and cruising at lower air density 8-9 k @ 65% is a sweet spot for my n/a Archer, especially for range. You will arrive more refreshed avoiding the bumps. I know traditional wisdom is fly low with headwinds and at increased power to increase speed to reduce the headwind penalty. IMO, when all is said and done on a 3 hour leg, the one down low could be only a few minutes faster westbound.

Anecdotal case in point, I was at 8k westbound at 65% in my Archer with higher headwinds than down lower. A Cardinal ( usually not dissimilar cruise speeds to an Archer) at Harrisburg PA was down low skimming over the Alleghenies but the controller was concerned that we were a formation flight or conflict given how close we appeared on his scope (obviously at different altitudes). The Cardinal barely moved faster such that at our common destination at Latrobe PA, he was landing as I was on final.

As a flat lander, thanks for your timely questions as this thread has helped me understand new flight path options mid Rockies for a cross country to the National Parks out west. I’ve got the Marias pass route to the north for a relatively low altitude passage and the other routes way south.

Good luck on your fun flight.

Last edited:
My doctor gave me a free prescription for getting them filled at any welding supply store.

I just now saw this thread, and have a question... Do you need a prescription to get an oxygen tank filled, especially at a welding supply place? I didn't realize O2 might require a prescription.

I just now saw this thread, and have a question... Do you need a prescription to get an oxygen tank filled, especially at a welding supply place? I didn't realize O2 might require a prescription.
My welding supply place said I needed one, mostly as a formality. He really could not care less what it actually said or who wrote it or for what purpose, just needed something to copy and out in the logbook for the tanks. He handed it back to me and told me to save it in case I needed it next time so I wrapped it around my license (certificate).

Thanks again everyone for the advice. My plane just came out of annual, and I've gathered all the supplies for the trip. Now it's just a matter of picking a week next month. I'll keep you guys apprised!

Guys, reviving this thread because I wanted to thank everyone for the advice. I started this trip today, and got two legs in. I’m currently in Yankton, but weather is not looking great to finish the trip in the AM. Standing by to see.

As far as making the trip, here's my 50-cents.

snacks should be low-carb. Most of us are susceptible to carbo-crashing, or "carb-coma".
when in doubt, fly hungry vs. full.
small frequent snacks (small handfull of nuts, a half a granola bar) instead of larger options (an entire sandwich).

I usually carry a bag of 'emergency jerky' and a water bottle. Note: do not use the types of water bottles with built in straws, that can lead to a bad time.

Landed in Rockford this morning. There were quite a number of storms throughout the midwest, so I learned a lot about what exactly those colored blobs from ADSB actually translate to. I learned that low scud doesn't necessarily show up on ASOS. I also learned that pilot's lounge couches aren't too bad to sleep on!

I also learned that wind in Wyoming is no joke, you really need to be high to avoid it. And tailwinds while eastbound are soooo nice. I have a GS of 200mph for than once in my old 182. But of course, the opposite will be true on the way back, so I’ll be flying lower where possible.

I also learned that wind in Wyoming is no joke, you really need to be high to avoid it. And tailwinds while eastbound are soooo nice. I have a GS of 200mph for than once in my old 182. But of course, the opposite will be true on the way back, so I’ll be flying lower where possible.

Back in the day when I went to the University of Wyoming we would joke that if the wind really picked up they would add a second logging chain as the windsock. Back then KLAR (Laramie Regional Airport) was aptly named Brees Field. As an aside, in the winter the snow doesn't melt, it just blows around until it wears out.

I wonder if the fuel prices in Foreflight for KOFK are for real?

I have stopped there for fuel once and the restaurant was good but seems to have closed recently according to a comment in FF. Check before you go.

Back