Borrowing money to buy E/AB

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Will the banks allow a E/AB to be used as collateral for borrowing money to buy one?.
anyone done it?

I know builders who've used HELOC to finance the build. I also know a couple people who financed their purchase of flying RV's. I'd have to ask about where they got their loans.

I paid cash for mine.

I know builders who've used HELOC to finance the build. I also know a couple people who financed their purchase of flying RV's. I'd have to ask about where they got their loans.

I paid cash for mine.
I've never been there either, was just asking. I know our Credit Union won't.

EAA works with a group that will finance an E/AB

Met a guy with my same non-surname on a chairlift a few years ago, worked for First Pryority Bank and said "send your EAB friends my way." Might give them a shout.

There is no registration to attach a lien so I doubt any bank would allow it to be used as collateral. If your credit is worthy, I am sure some one would extend an unsecured loan at a higher interest rate.

Will the banks allow a E/AB to be used as collateral for borrowing money to buy one?.
In general, it depends. I believe the EAA maintains a list of the financial entities who do and the models they approve. Not all E/ABs can be used but its dependent on the bank.

There is no registration to attach a lien so I doubt any bank would allow it to be used as collateral. If your credit is worthy, I am sure some one would extend an unsecured loan at a higher interest rate.
Why isn't there a registration? There should be ... same as a certificated airplane.

When the aircraft is completed and it has a N number there must be a registration. buying a kit, maybe not.

When the aircraft is completed and it has a N number there must be a registration. buying a kit, maybe not.

Please substitute if for the word when. Completion rates for kit planes are not good.

Please substitute if for the word when. Completion rates for kit planes are not good.
irrelevant to the question.

Fixed it just for you :)

Last edited:
Not if you were asking me to loan you the money for a set of plans and a pile of aluminum.

If I ever build a really cool airplane from a set of plans and a pile of aluminum, will you loan me the money to do it? How’s that?

I suppose @Tom-D meant "irrelevant." But soon I'll soon learn that @Clip4 did not revere the question sufficiently.

upload_2019-4-20_9-47-50.png

If I ever build a really cool airplane from a set of plans and a pile of aluminum, will you loan me the money to do it? How’s that?

If I roll up with a truck full lumber you’ll issue me a mortgage. Loaning unsecured and secured funds is the issue.

I read that wrong. I thot ‘E6B’s are only like $30. Who needs to borrow money for one?’

If I roll up with a truck full lumber you’ll issue me a mortgage. Loaning unsecured and secured funds is the issue.
Well, there are construction and bridge loans for houses, those are refinanced as mortgages when construction is done.

ad_176918065.jpg

So youse wants to entertain a loan to buy an experimental airplane.?? Step into my office.....

I work for a bank. Two issues: purpose of the loan; collateral for the loan. Most banks won’t balk at doing a loan for the purpose of purchasing an airplane (experimental or certified), as long as you meet their credit standards. However, a much smaller set of banks would be willing to do a loan secured by an airplane as the process of perfecting a lien is much more complex than other type of collateral and the process to repossess, if needed, could be more challenging for smaller banks with limited resources. That pool shrinks even further if you start talking about an experimental. So you might have better luck with your local bank using something else as collateral (such as equity in your home).

A buddy of mine used lightstream to get an unsecured loan to upgrade his plane. Interest rates are a bit high, but not robbery.

93882D93-5106-4CE7-A13D-9685E106823A.png

Back