CFI - Anything Besides King?

RocktheWings

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RocktheWings
Passed my commercial checkride the other day (woooo) and now moving into CFI training.

Up to this point I’ve been using the King written and practical prep videos as well as Sheppard Air. All is going well and I’m passing all the tests without issue, but I’m getting a littttle tired of Martha. Any other source of good presentations or courses to take?

I like asa Cfi pack with Sheppard Air

For the fundamentals of instruction you are required to receive ground instruction and an endorsement from a CFI unless you qualify for an exception. I would study the Aviation Instructors Handbook first.

For the CFI written knowledge test, I would stick with Sheppard Air.

The real knowledge test is the Practical Test. The knowledge you need for that cannot be obtained by watching videos. You have to compile a very large library of materials and throughly learn this stuff the old fashioned way.

Ideally you find a very experienced CFI to mentor you though this process.

Last edited:
As far as drill and kill for taking the test, I've never seen anything I like as well as Irwin Gleim's stuff. Of course, if you want to learn something other than regurgitating the right answer for the written test, you'll want to supplement that with something else.

I just read the Gleim book. No courses.

I like the King CFI practical test videos. They're not comprehensive by a long shot but I think it helps a lot with understanding how material should be presented.

The written contains a lot of recycled material from Commercial, I don't see a point in a written test video course, unless you've forgotten a lot of the material and/or did poorly on the commercial written. A test prep book or online practice quiz package should be fine.

I did Sheppard Air for the CFI and CFI-I writtens and scored very high scores. Same with the FOI

As mentioned, the writtens are no where near a reflection of what the oral will cover, so treat them as separate events and prep accordingly.

Back