Flying Half Fast with Half Fast

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Got to add another POA'er to my list of people I have traumatized in an aircraft.

@Half Fast is working on making one of the best life decisions one can make in their short time here on this planet which is of course looking into Grummans.

When you want info on something, who do you go to? The expert of course.
Well the expert must not have been available so he came to me.

He was in my neck of the woods, it was low overcast 20G36 which meant I could impress him with a ground speed of 135 and periodically 151.

He arrived at my airport, saw my plane and had the standard reaction, a single tear from the right eye jettisoned by the vision of perfection.
Could have also been because the wind blew gravel into his eye. Our airport surface improvements consist primarily of the owners filling holes with gravel.

We walked around the plane, felt parts of it, and entered it together to receive a collective hug from her warm weathered interior.
I almost typed "as we sped down the runway" but let's be honest it was more of a brisk jaunt down the runway prior to the struggle to break the bonds of the gravel pit from which I am based.

We did a bit of flying, I gave him some time on the controls, we landed. It was awesome.
A quick exchange of cash, a scribble in the logbook, and we headed to Twisted root for a hamburger that would make @Sac Arrow cry.

It was fun. Thank you for flying with me. Next time you are in town, we will Cirrus and maybe we can rally some of the locals and make a gathering of it.
Good luck in your search and send me any questions and I will try to help!

This is what two I.T. guys that just got off work look like in a plane:
20190416_183841_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I looked into a Grumman once. There were french fries on the floor, so I stopped looking in.

Got to add another POA'er to my list of people I have traumatized in an aircraft.

@Half Fast is working on making one of the best life decisions one can make in their short time here on this planet which is of course looking into Grummans.

When you want info on something, who do you go to? The expert of course.
Well the expert must not have been available so he came to me.

He was in my neck of the woods, it was low overcast 20G36 which meant I could impress him with a ground speed of 135 and periodically 151.

He arrived at my airport, saw my plane and had the standard reaction, a single tear from the right eye jettisoned by the vision of perfection.
Could have also been because the wind blew gravel into his eye. Our airport surface improvements consist primarily of the owners filling holes with gravel.

We walked around the plane, felt parts of it, and entered it together to receive a collective hug from her warm weathered interior.
I almost typed "as we sped down the runway" but let's be honest it was more of a brisk jaunt down the runway prior to the struggle to break the bonds of the gravel pit from which I am based.

We did a bit of flying, I gave him some time on the controls, we landed. It was awesome.
A quick exchange of cash, a scribble in the logbook, and we headed to Twisted root for a hamburger that would make @Sac Arrow cry.

It was fun. Thank you for flying with me. Next time you are in town, we will Cirrus and maybe we can rally some of the locals and make a gathering of it.
Good luck in your search and send me any questions and I will try to help!

This is what two I.T. guys that just got off work look like in a plane:
View attachment 73515

...A quick exchange of cash...!?!?! FSDO has been notified

...A quick exchange of cash...!?!?! FSDO has been notified

Whoa!!!! He wasn't buying flight time from me, we flew to a friends to get some "California Cornflakes" if you are pickin up what I am laying down my man.
That stuff ain't cheap. Just needed a little YaYo, some dust, the bump, the powder, the big C, a little Bolivian Marching Powder.

I'd never take money for flight time. That is unethical.

Waiting to hear Half Fast's version of events.....

I’d like to have an upgraded Yankee. Quick little two seater. The originals have a higher stall speed than later versions, due to the wing design, and are a little under powered. @Grum.Man owned one for years.

I learned to fly in my Dad's Yankee (N5689L) in 1978. Almost bought one instead of my Cherokee but it failed pre-buy criteria. If it hadn't failed, I would have mucho more landings in my logbook stopping for fuel every hour. Let's see, fuel or Mrs Mooney Fan..... decisions, decisions

Last edited:
I gotta get with you guys one of these days.... Office when I'm in town is right across the street from F69. What a great name for an airport. Looks like the runway leaves a bit to be desired though.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! 6PC is very cautious about this and would NEVER accept cash. Let’s not get him in trouble again.

I paid him in ganja.

You said NOTHING about also going to Colorado........The plot thickens. :sosp::skeptical:

So is this an additive thing, or what?

Half fast + half fast = full fast

or

Half fast * half fast = 1/4fast?

Something's wrong.... I live within 20 minutes of that Grumman and I still have not had a ride in it....

19j5j2.jpg

@6pc, did you just make up a verb? "To Cirrus?" That ranks up there with "antiquing" and "restauranting."

Plus, you made me use 6 quotation marks in one sentence.

Imma goin Sierraingingin next week.

@6pc, did you just make up a verb? "To Cirrus?" That ranks up there with "antiquing" and "restauranting."

Plus, you made me use 6 quotation marks in one sentence.

Imma goin Sierraingingin next week.
Then Cirrus'ers have their own language.

My attorney has approved the following report, with appropriate redactions.
=======================================================================================

At ~6:00 Tuesday evening, I met 6PC at his home drome to see his 1972 Grumman Traveler and learn a bit more about Grummans. His plane is an excellent example of the model and is in very good shape. It's quite a attractive in its new blue and white paint, and the engine has had a recent rebuild. The interior is original and still looks good.

My Grumman education began witht the preflight, and I learned some different ways of doing things from the Tecnam P92 I've been renting. For example, this was the first time I saw someone use a Bic lighter to check the fuel level. Must be a Grumman thing. I was bit concerned when 6PC dropped the lighter into the left tank, but he assured me it wouldn't be a problem as he could light his joint using the electric lighter in the cockpit.

This was the first time I needed to hand prop a plane (is this common with Grummans?), but it fired right off on the 4th or 5th try and I chased down the taxi way after 6PC and the plane, finally catching up to him as he stopped to do a quick run-up.

I hopped into the right seat, 6PC pulled onto the runway, and began to accelerate. Just after rotation, we .........................................
....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... two quick inhalations .......................................................
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... busted the DFW bravo ...........................................................................................
............................................................................................................ and turned off the transponder. Staying at 500' AGL, we .....
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... a peacock feather,
an electric toothbrush, and a ratcheting tiedown. That was when the .............................................. wing leveler .........................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. and I swear, the cow was laughing at us! The Grumman did well on the soft-field take-off, and climbed surprisingly
well, considering ...................................................................................................................................................
.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... and taxied back.

And that's why he regularly paints on a different tail number.

===========================================================================================================

My attorney has cautioned me not to release the unredacted version unless under subpoena from the US House of Representatives.

I gotta get with you guys one of these days.... Office when I'm in town is right across the street from F69. What a great name for an airport. Looks like the runway leaves a bit to be desired though.

I should be out there again the first week of May.

I’m not sure who’s version was better, but I think maybe 1/2-assed won that round.

Is there a sign-up sheet available online? I'm usually available on weekends and could use a Grumman fix!

Considering it's not a Tiger, I would expect a 20% discount on that "exchange of cash."

Something's wrong.... I live within 20 minutes of that Grumman and I still have not had a ride in it....

Sounds like 6PC needs to set aside one day on a weekend and do some volunteer Old Eagles flights...

My attorney has approved the following report, with appropriate redactions.
=======================================================================================

At ~6:00 Tuesday evening, I met 6PC at his home drome to see his 1972 Grumman Traveler and learn a bit more about Grummans. His plane is an excellent example of the model and is in very good shape. It's quite a attractive in its new blue and white paint, and the engine has had a recent rebuild. The interior is original and still looks good.

My Grumman education began witht the preflight, and I learned some different ways of doing things from the Tecnam P92 I've been renting. For example, this was the first time I saw someone use a Bic lighter to check the fuel level. Must be a Grumman thing. I was bit concerned when 6PC dropped the lighter into the left tank, but he assured me it wouldn't be a problem as he could light his joint using the electric lighter in the cockpit.

This was the first time I needed to hand prop a plane (is this common with Grummans?), but it fired right off on the 4th or 5th try and I chased down the taxi way after 6PC and the plane, finally catching up to him as he stopped to do a quick run-up.

I hopped into the right seat, 6PC pulled onto the runway, and began to accelerate. Just after rotation, we .........................................
....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... two quick inhalations .......................................................
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... busted the DFW bravo ...........................................................................................
............................................................................................................ and turned off the transponder. Staying at 500' AGL, we .....
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... a peacock feather,
an electric toothbrush, and a ratcheting tiedown. That was when the .............................................. wing leveler .........................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. and I swear, the cow was laughing at us! The Grumman did well on the soft-field take-off, and climbed surprisingly
well, considering ...................................................................................................................................................
.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... and taxied back.

And that's why he regularly paints on a different tail number.

===========================================================================================================

My attorney has cautioned me not to release the unredacted version unless under subpoena from the US House of Representatives.

Just what we all expected. No collusion. 6PC is completely exonerated!

Is there a sign-up sheet available online? I'm usually available on weekends and could use a Grumman fix!

Considering it's not a Tiger, I would expect a 20% discount on that "exchange of cash."
Check the dark web for the sign-up sheet!

Some people never learn....

Still wondering if 6PC found that sack of weed I dropped in his Cirrus...... I’m just a jokester in all, you know. Hope his pops didn’t find it and Bogarde it all though. That would be harsh...

The project office asked me not to say anything about the chem trails, so I won’t.

Otherwise, it was a nice flight and I liked the Traveler very much. It handled bumpy air nicely, was responsive to the controls, and easy to fly. I’ll need to get some transition training, of course. Much thanks to Bryan for a fun flight and a nice evening yapping about planes and flying.

The project office asked me not to say anything about the chem trails, so I won’t.

Otherwise, it was a nice flight and I liked the Traveler very much. It handled bumpy air nicely, was responsive to the controls, and easy to fly. I’ll need to get some transition training, of course. Much thanks to Bryan for a fun flight and a nice evening yapping about planes and flying.
I hope he recommended his CFI, Carl. :)

Back