2019 Gauge of Training

TVProducer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TVProducer
Hey all,

So as you most know I originally started on Pilots of America asking about a Special Issuance Medical around June 2018. Well to bring you up to speed. Got my Special Issuance Medical (Seizures as a Kid) in November 2018. Did my ground school online and Started training to be a Private Pilot in December.

April 9th I took my Private Pilot Checkride and passed and am now a Certificated Private Pilot. Never let anyone tell you that you cannot do anything

Creating this thread for other new students who are trying to gauge a rough estimate of time it takes to complete training. I'll being with my template

Date Training Started (Flight): December 3, 2018
Date of Checkride: April 9, 2019
State of Training: New Jersey
Total Dual Hours: 50
Total Solo Hours: 20
Total Dual Hours before Solo'd for first time: 20
Amount of times flown per week: 2-3

Rate Costs
Training: Part 61
Aircraft: Cessna 172S: 150/Hobbs Hour Wet
Instructor: $50 Per Hour, Ground or Flight
Flight Equipment Costs (headset, foreflight, etc): $600
Online Ground School: $35 (Fly8MA)
Total Estimate Spent on Ground and Flight Training with CFI: 10,500.
Total Estimate Spent on Solo Flight: $3,000
Examination Cost: $150
Checkride Cost: $600

Total overall training cost to attain Private Pilot Certificate: $14,850

Congratulations!

Wow, congrats.
You've found an excellent CFI.

Great job. You must have been in some bumpy stuff to fly NE coast in Winter. See you around!!!

Congrats! I’m keeping track as well. So far my numbers are trending about the same.

Funny how average time to the PPL and cost in constant dollars doesn't change that much over time. 35 years ago it cost me $4000 overall and about the same number of hours. If anything your cost was pretty competitive.

I did my training from November-April. The biggest challenge was finding suitable late winter days for XC trips. I had some spectacular head- and tailwinds.

Congrats and enjoy!

Great job. You must have been in some bumpy stuff to fly NE coast in Winter. See you around!!!
Surprisingly wasn't too bad throughout my training. Some days were some serious butt clenchers though

Surprisingly wasn't too bad throughout my training. Some days were some serious butt clenchers though

If your instructor was like mine, when the wind was out of the west (direct crosswind) at 15G20 he would say "this is a great day for crosswind training!" I ain't skeered of no crosswinds anymore. (Within reason.) Sweat blood from my palms during that first hour of training, though.

Never let anyone tell you that you cannot do anything

:yeahthat:

''If you don't try, you have already failed.''

''All ya gotta do is put your mind to it,
Knuckle down, buckle down, do it, do it, do it.!!''

I don't know who to give credit to on these sayings, but I have them on the wall in my office. Good job sticking with it and getting what you wanted.

Congratulations on your PPL achievement!!

Back