Cirrus SF50 Vision Jet "MCAS" Issues Prompt AD

Pull Da Shooooot!!!

medium_2018-01-02-ea7e3f3d83.jpg

Interesting.

“Cirrus and Aerosonic (manufacturer of the technical standard order AOA sensor) have identified
the probable root cause as an AOA sensor malfunction ...”

And where’s that guy who touted how AOA is the secret sauce that will keep us all alive?

Interesting.

“Cirrus and Aerosonic (manufacturer of the technical standard order AOA sensor) have identified
the probable root cause as an AOA sensor malfunction ...”

And where’s that guy who touted how AOA is the secret sauce that will keep us all alive?
I would never say that an AoA is "secret sauce", but if you give me the choice of a working AoA or a working ASI, I'll take the former, please!
And note that both in this case, and in the 737 MAX, a sensor malfunction confuses the system.

Yes, a nose-down flight control engaging, when a single AOA sensor malfunctions -- that does sound a lot like the 737 MAX.

In the case of the Cirrus jet, the flight control that was engages was the stick pusher, which could be stopped by turning off the autopilot, according to that article. And it happens when there's a loose screw.

Yes, a nose-down flight control engaging, when a single AOA sensor malfunctions -- that does sound a lot like the 737 MAX.

In the case of the Cirrus jet, the flight control that was engages was the stick pusher, which could be stopped by turning off the autopilot, according to that article. And it happens when there's a loose screw.

Wait! A screw loose in the cockpit?!?

[QUOTE="Kenny Phillips, post: 2714857, member: 34246", but if you give me the choice of a working AoA or a working ASI, I'll take the former, please![/QUOTE]

Maybe so.

But it's clear that AOA sensors can malfunction. I'm guessing, based on the complexity, it can fail more easily than airspeed indicators.

So I'm wondering what more an IFR pilot would have to do in an instrument scan, when stepping into a plane that's equipped with an AOA sensor. Maybe routinely comparing AOA display to airspeed and attitude indicators, during the flight? Would that be made more tricky, when the AOA sensor is integrated into the ASI display, as on the Cirrus jet?

"Potential erroneous AOA derived indications may occur before, during, and after unintended automatic control system engagement. These indications include an abnormal appearing low speed red band or VREF green donut presented on the airspeed tape."​

AoA indicators and the associated stick shakers and stick pushers are critical in swept-wing aircraft due to their dangerous stall characteristics. All these goodies are "nice" to have in a straight wing Cirrus Jet, but IMHO not necessary. Just a marketing gimmick.

Cirrus did a the right thing in providing an AoA presentation and - if I understand things correctly - also by ensuring the pusher can be disabled using the A/P disconnect. That, IMHO, was a critical problem with the design of the 737 MAX: with both pilots wrestling both yokes... nobody had a spare hand to reach over to the center pedestal to disconnect the bloody system!

That, IMHO, was a critical problem with the design of the 737 MAX: with both pilots wrestling both yokes... nobody had a spare hand to reach over to the center pedestal to disconnect the bloody system!

"Jarvis, disable the MCAS!" :D

AoA indicators and the associated stick shakers and stick pushers are critical in swept-wing aircraft due to their dangerous stall characteristics. All these goodies are "nice" to have in a straight wing Cirrus Jet, but IMHO not necessary. Just a marketing gimmick.

Cirrus did a the right thing in providing an AoA presentation and - if I understand things correctly - also by ensuring the pusher can be disabled using the A/P disconnect. That, IMHO, was a critical problem with the design of the 737 MAX: with both pilots wrestling both yokes... nobody had a spare hand to reach over to the center pedestal to disconnect the bloody system!
They were wrestling the yokes because they didn't recognize the problem until the nose-down trim was gonzo. But it will be fixed in a couple of months, and Boeing will rename the plane to "737 Ultrasafe" or something like that.

Back