Too old to become an A&P?

Flying_Nun

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying_Nun
How old is too old to make a career change? Asking for a friend.

52 is the cutoff.

I thought it was 47?

Hopefully Tom will answer your question.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Tom actually answer a question.

I retired from my career as a civil engineer and went to A&P school. Got my A&P in 2015 at age 62. Working on Beech 18s now, among others. A lot more fun than sitting in front of a computer doing environmental reports.

Funny you mention that - I thought of 62, to collect on retirement early and move on. I’m 52 now. Thinking of getting an A&P cert as well. And I’m in the environmental remediation field. Would love to hear more of your story here, or in private.

Funny you mention that - I thought of 62, to collect on retirement early and move on. I’m 52 now. Thinking of getting an A&P cert as well. And I’m in the environmental remediation field. Would love to hear more of your story here, or in private.

Interesting. I worked for Miami-Dade county so we were the ones making the messes that the remediation contractors cleaned up. My first job was in the hazardous materials unit where I managed remediations and fuel tank upgrades. Then I was promoted to the permitting section where I worked with EPA and FDEP, specializing in Title V air permitting although I also did wastewater work.

Edit: first job as an engineer, I mean. I came out of the engineering construction industry and worked for 10 years as an inspector while I went back to school for my civil engineering degree.

What is the cost these days to obtain an A&P?

There are two civilian ways to get the license. On-the-job training or a part 147 school. If you go OTJ then it costs you nothing and in fact you are paid.

Part 147 schools vary widely in price. Luckily Miami-Dade has an excellent school that is part of the public school system. Tuition for the full program ran about $7,000 there. A private institution could be easily four times that.

I'm 47 and sit at a desk all day. It's killing me. The local community college has an FAA approved program the runs about $12k. Hoping I can continue in my current role, part time, and go to school.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Out here in my part of the world not only are we experiencing the effects of the pilot shortage (can't keep instructors), we are seeing the same thing with mechanics. The regionals and main lines are recruiting from the shops that maintain GA aircraft and helicopters, and the owners of the shops on my field can sometimes be slow to get planes like mine in and back out due to this.

Might be good timing for the OP to consider such a career change.

Out here in my part of the world not only are we experiencing the effects of the pilot shortage (can't keep instructors), we are seeing the same thing with mechanics. The regionals and main lines are recruiting from the shops that maintain GA aircraft and helicopters, and the owners of the shops on my field can sometimes be slow to get planes like mine in and back out due to this.

Might be good timing for the OP to consider such a career change.
One can change the name of the line of work in what you state and it will likely be accurate for most any field today. We are in the midst of a booming economy. I believe that can change quickly though if incentives for production are removed.

I retired from my career as a civil engineer and went to A&P school. Got my A&P in 2015 at age 62. Working on Beech 18s now, among others. A lot more fun than sitting in front of a computer doing environmental reports.
Life is funny. I earned my A&P at George T. Baker Aviation school in Miami FL right out of high school in 1986. Made a living out of it and had a good time but it's hard on the body so I went back to school. I earned my Civil Engineering BS in 2013 and haven't looked back! At 52, I still enjoy turning wrenches but now it's for pleasure. I guess my answer for earning an A&P has more to do with how much your body can take in lieu of age.

Bend over and wipe!
Strutwipe, It's Better Than a Rag

How old is too old to make a career change? Asking for a friend.
You're never too old to try. You just have to be able to retain new knowledge and skills. I had a blast getting my A&P 13 years ago. A blue collar shop is a lot different environment than a engineering office, though.

I'm thinking about doing this, as well. The problem for me, to get an education in the field of aviation maintenance, it looks like the closest school is Liberty University, about a 2 hour drive. I guess I will call them and see what can be done online from home and what I'll have to make the drive for. I'll also look for on the job training.

I live in Clarksville, VA. There is one un-towered airport a few minutes from home, doesn't look particularly busy. A grass strip off I-85 near Durham, NC that definitely has more planes. Danville's airport wouldn't be too incredibly far to drive for work. Anyone familiar with the area know of other options for work or education?

I'm thinking about doing this, as well. The problem for me, to get an education in the field of aviation maintenance, it looks like the closest school is Liberty University, about a 2 hour drive. I guess I will call them and see what can be done online from home and what I'll have to make the drive for. I'll also look for on the job training.

I live in Clarksville, VA. There is one un-towered airport a few minutes from home, doesn't look particularly busy. A grass strip off I-85 near Durham, NC that definitely has more planes. Danville's airport wouldn't be too incredibly far to drive for work. Anyone familiar with the area know of other options for work or education?
See if there is an EAA chapter close to your area. The chapters are always doing projects which they need volunteers. It will give you a chance to see if working with your hands is right for you.

Life is funny. I earned my A&P at George T. Baker Aviation school in Miami FL right out of high school in 1986. Made a living out of it and had a good time but it's hard on the body so I went back to school. I earned my Civil Engineering BS in 2013 and haven't looked back! At 52, I still enjoy turning wrenches but now it's for pleasure. I guess my answer for earning an A&P has more to do with how much your body can take in lieu of age.

Bend over and wipe!
Strutwipe, It's Better Than a Rag

Proud graduate of Baker myself :) Went there after I retired and happy I did. I am 66 and crawling around in a/c is a PITA. I did it full time last year to get my skills up but am backing away this year to concentrate on other projects, just working 2 - 3 days per week on side jobs at the airport.

See if there is an EAA chapter close to your area. The chapters are always doing projects which they need volunteers. It will give you a chance to see if working with your hands is right for you.

Thanks for that suggestion. I've worked on everything else in the past. Yachts, boats, motorcycles, semi-truck, cars, tractors, heavy equipment. I can't sit in front of a computer right now, though I'm very good at AutoCAD. Maybe that's something I can go back to later in life, but now I need something new.

Edit: I just reread that you're a civil engineer. I was a land surveyor, got to do quite a bit of design since we did a ton of new construction instead of just boundary work. I was really good at grading plans, proposed contours just flowed from my mind!

Last edited:
Thanks for that suggestion. I've worked on everything else in the past. Yachts, boats, motorcycles, semi-truck, cars, tractors, heavy equipment. I can't sit in front of a computer right now, though I'm very good at AutoCAD. Maybe that's something I can go back to later in life, but now I need something new.

How open are you to relocation. The program I went to in Miami is excellent and cheap once you establish one-year residency. Other schools might have a deal like that also if Miami doesn't appeal.

How open are you to relocation. The program I went to in Miami is excellent and cheap once you establish one-year residency. Other schools might have a deal like that also if Miami doesn't appeal.

Not at all. Wife and I are literally buying our dream house, close week after next. I'd rather drive the two hours than even think about moving again.

Not at all. Wife and I are literally buying our dream house, close week after next. I'd rather drive the two hours than even think about moving again.

Understandable. Best of luck to you!

I got side tracked after graduating HS, a few yrs in the service, then different jobs, later n life earned a BS Civil Engineering degree.
Retired last year at 66 and working on getting my power plant rating.

You're never too old to try. You just have to be able to retain new knowledge and skills. I had a blast getting my A&P 13 years ago. A blue collar shop is a lot different environment than a engineering office, though.
Yes, and IMHO a much better environment. (worked in both)

I got side tracked after graduating HS, a few yrs in the service, then different jobs, later n life earned a BS Civil Engineering degree.
Retired last year at 66 and working on getting my power plant rating.

Similarly minus the service (thank you for yours - my brother did 24 years in the AF, retired as maintenance chief for Patrick AFB). Ton of different jobs, got in to engineering construction, county inspector, then BSCE at age 43. Retired early to do airplane stuff including the A&P. The A&P opens tons of doors. I have use of aircraft and have a multi exchange deal on the near horizon. I paid my dues and worked my "self-directed apprenticeship" for two years to get to the point where I am comfortable tackling this work on my own.

Back