Aircraft Options

Joey Surles

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JetSetter Aviation
Hello all. I manage a Diamond DA-40 for a construction company and we are highly considering an aircraft upgrade. The next step is something that fits in the following capabilities.

-Weather capable (Deice, radar, etc)
-Cabin Class
-Budget 800K
-G1000 or similar a must (G1000 highly desirable)

We have been considering a Piper Malibu Mirage, or G58 Baron. Love the idea of 2 engines, however pressurization and bigger cabin of the Mirage is highly desirable. Any thoughts on a good next step? Baron is nice if it flew higher and a bit bigger, Mirage is very nice but would like one more engine. Any ideas of a Glass cockpit that fits in the $800K budget? and similar maintenance cost of the piston aircraft? Would love a turbo prop or jet but not sure the maintenance cost would fit in the budget yet. I'm thinking this airplane is a 2-5 year airplane with a Light Jet or Turbo Prop in the Future. Should we look at a highly upgraded Cessna cabin class twin or Lock and Key Navajo or stick with a Mirage. The owner really likes the idea of flying about the weather.

Typical Mission

Regional out of NC so that's VA, SC, MD, GA, DE, etc. Pilot and 2 guys round 230 lbs.

Thoughts?

My Background. (Typed and currently fly Citation CJ Series, so familiar with Jets, and flew PC-12 for 2 years in past). Only reason I mention this is I'm familiar with the operation of piston, turbo props, and Jets.

Around 100 hrs a year at this point.
It's probably not what you want to hear, however, with such a low usage rate your mx--insurance cost/flight hour may be on the high side for the airframes you are considering. I had 2 old customers upgrade along the same lines as you are going, but they went the fractional/wet-lease back paths due to the bang-for-buck equation and they fly more than 100hrs/yr. But every ops is different.

Makes sense for sure. Their usage should increase a fair amount. Plus the owner is a pilot and will want to use the airplane on a personal level as well. With that being said there are other factors why play into the want and need for a plane.

I would take a look at 414's. Nice cabin, two engines. For $800k you should be able to get into a very nice airplane.

Makes sense for sure.
As part of the research that lead to their decisions not to purchase an aircraft outright, they contacted several "local" fractional companies and leasing companies and rec'd a complete work up on costs. They then compared those to owning which I was a part of. It may be a little overkill in your case, but it was money well spent in their cases. Good luck.

A G58 is not cabin class, it just has club seating. Barons are better for the pilot up front, but not so much for the passengers in back. If the people footing the bill are in back, I don't think they'll like it very much. A PA46 is much nicer for the people in back. Pressurization is nice as well.

If you want cabin class and you're looking at around 100 hours per year with those shorter hops, your mission to me screams Twin Cessna to me. A 340 would do the job very well with a 414/421 doing better. You can't get a G1000, but you can do a G600 TXi, dual GTN 750, even add a second TXi as an EIS to replace the engine instruments (or one of the other options) and you've gotten yourself about 90% of what a G1000 offers, all in at well under your $800k budget. 414 or 421 would give you a much nicer cabin, but I personally avoid the geared engines.

I agree, look at the C-414 for the number of hours flown per year and for the boss to fly for personal trips. Comfortable seating for passengers, wide cabin and fly in the lower flight levels.

Make sure your G1000 has been upgraded to support ADSB in/out.

Tom

Other than the one engine thing, a Malibu may be ideal for what you’re trying to do. But it will depend on if your proposed load will fall within W&B. That’s where I would start.

I’m curious why the obsession with the G1000? While nice you’re excluding a lot of airplanes that would do what you want to do by requiring it.

I agree, look at the C-414 for the number of hours flown per year and for the boss to fly for personal trips. Comfortable seating for passengers, wide cabin and fly in the lower flight levels.

Thanks how about if they end up flying 200-
Other than the one engine thing, a Malibu may be ideal for what you’re trying to do. But it will depend on if your proposed load will fall within W&B. That’s where I would start.

I’m curious why the obsession with the G1000? While nice you’re excluding a lot of airplanes that would do what you want to do by requiring it.

The current owner really likes glass cockpit. G 1000 is what we would typically go with however something like Dual G600s etc would work. Something like a 414 or Navajo we would upgrade to a similar system.

Cessna 414 vs Piper Mirage (G1000). GO!!!!

Cessna 414 vs Piper Mirage (G1000). GO!!!!

Do you want to work on the plane or fly it? The oldest mirage is a fair bit newer than the newest 414. The spread is even greater if you consider the oldest G1000 mirage vs. the newest 414. Plus they’re still being built so they should be more supportable than the twin Cessnas.

To me the 414 vs. Malibu is comparing apples to oranges. Are you looking for faster and less weight carrying ability or are you looking to carry more weight at the cost of speed?

I think a 340 vs. Malibu debate would be a little closer.

Back