Plane crash- not even sure what to say

Every year, we have to do a hand flown single engine ILS to minimums so I’m not sure if they’re joking or if they just bust their PC/MV every year.

I’m sure it’s mildly a joke. Never flown an airline obviously but there could also be a learning curve going from a nice GPS glass panel to a six pack and king KLN gps. Not sure what the 172 had.

So what's your point. As a VFR pilot you'd have to be nuts to fly in 1000/3'. Just cuz its legal doesn't mean it's sane.
Depends on the obstacle environment, and the availability of places to land if conditions deteriorate.

Farthest non-stop leg I’ve done in a 172 was a M model. KLNK to KLAF, 448 nm. Had a bit of a tailwind and 48 gallon tanks (extended range tanks were an option).

The weather was a hell of a lot better then this dude was dealing with.

It felt ridiculous being in a 172 and seeing 400+ nm remaining on the GPS after takeoff. I was crunching fuel numbers the whole damn flight re-checking that I didn’t make some insane planning mistake.

Missed my airline flight to work, so had to 172 myself from Lincoln to NYC.

I’m sure it’s mildly a joke. Never flown an airline obviously but there could also be a learning curve going from a nice GPS glass panel to a six pack and king KLN gps. Not sure what the 172 had.
Yeah I was kinda thinking the same. According to what I read later, it had the standard six pack. When I was speaking to the reporter, he was asking me about the cockpit instrumentation and whether the plane had GPS, etc.

He told me that the pilot has a Commercial License and flies a 737 (which was all news to me). Then started asking "Why couldn't he land?", "Isn't the plane equipped to fly IFR?", etc.

I respectfully told him that I could not answer any of that and the cockpit picture that I was willing to share (my avatar pic), may or may not reflect the avionics of the accident airplane. I let him know that it could very well have the standard six pack, which is also what I did my flight training in and that they are both Cessna 172s, but that's all I know for sure.

That's one of the primary reasons I declined his request to interview me on the air! No way I want to be under that kind a pressure on TV talking about how a Commercial 737 pilot screwed up so bad:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Maybe he realized what the landing fees would be for making JFK and figured the insurance deductible would be cheaper
LOL.
Several years ago, I wanted to visit TEB from FRG just for the heck of it, and pickup my daughter and her husband (newlyweds) for a scenic flight over NYC.
Thought it would be nice to land and visit the airport that I learn to fly at, back in 1998 (there were about three flight schools on the field at the time...none now).

Found out that the landing fee would be around 90 bucks!!!:eek:
Contacted the airport manager via email and asked about an employee discount (same agency). She said "unable", so I said... ok, thanks for replying to my email. Told my daughter and son-in-law to meet me at Essex Co. (Caldwell Airport). I think the landing fee was about $10, which was waived since I got a fuel top-off.

Thanks but No-Thanks Teterboro. We had a great flight from Caldwell.

Last edited:
LOL.
Several years ago, I wanted to visit TEB from FRG just for the heck of it, and pickup my daughter and her husband (newlyweds) for a scenic flight over NYC.
Thought it would be nice to land and visit the airport that I learn to fly at, back in 1998 (there were about three flight schools on the field at the time...none now).

Found out that the landing fee would be around 90 bucks!!!:eek:
Contacted the airport manager via email and asked about an employee discount (same agency). She said "unable", so I said... ok, thanks for replying to my email. Told my daughter and son-in-law to meet me at Essex Co. (Caldwell Airport). I think the landing fee was about $10, which was waived since I got a fuel top-off.

Thanks but No-Thanks Teterboro. We had a great flight from Caldwell.
I assume you mean landing and fbo fees as the landing fee for a light ga ac is about $28

I assume you mean landing and fbo fees as the landing fee for a light ga ac is about $28
Yes, I forgot the FBO that I called at the time, but I told them my intentions of landing and picking up family. If I recall correctly, I was told it would be $90 (or maybe they said $60). Whichever, I'm not paying that for a ten to fifteen minute stop, just to pickup two people and depart. I like TEB, but not that much!

After 10PM JFK landing fee is quite reasonable. And it's possible to land and get out there without paying an FBO gouge if you don't need services.

After 10PM JFK landing fee is quite reasonable. And it's possible to land and get out there without paying an FBO gouge if you don't need services.
Is this actually possible to do with a 150 under VFR? I mean, is it sane to plan a flight to JFK at midnight and expect to get clearance to land in a plane doing sub 100kts. Is there anywhere to stop and get out (even just to take a leak (tarmac or John) or stretch your legs) without paying an FBO fee? It sounds like a fun one time experience for sure and it is only 40 minutes from me.

Is this actually possible to do with a 150 under VFR? I mean, is it sane to plan a flight to JFK at midnight and expect to get clearance to land in a plane doing sub 100kts. Is there anywhere to stop and get out (even just to take a leak (tarmac or John) or stretch your legs) without paying an FBO fee? It sounds like a fun one time experience for sure and it is only 40 minutes from me.
Hmm. Wonder if they'd allow a XXX-JFK-LGA-EWR-XXX flight :p Just to say you've done it :D And how bad it would hurt the wallet

Back around 1985 I had the opportunity to fly my NORDO Taylorcraft into EWR (Newark) with a group of other antiques for some exhibition. Alas, I had a prior commitment so I couldn't go. Flew a C-150 into Lambert once around 1977 or so to drop off a friend. Didn't even get out of the plane, nobody asked me for any fee...

Hmm. Wonder if they'd allow a XXX-JFK-LGA-EWR-XXX flight :p Just to say you've done it :D And how bad it would hurt the wallet
Dream on. IMO, if you don't have real business there, take a simulator. In my days in and out of JFK there wasn't even an FBO, just the port authority's office, a noisy, windy ramp and a ton of jumbo jets circling around like elephants in a circus. You don't really want to go there.

Absolutely. As long as you have decent radio skills they generally allow you to land and taxi back around for take off. Lga the same. As long as it's late, like after midnight.

I've done it. No big deal. JFK I actually flew in several times. Once in an Aztec VFR at 430 pm on a Sunday. At first they didn't wanna let me in but after some arm twisting they obliged.

New member here,

Signed up just to put an end to the B737 rated pilot false information. The accident pilot's name on record with the FAA is Dong il, with a space between the two words. Look it up, you guys will find someone with a CURRENT medical with very RECENT certifications. Dong il (with the space) is not type rated in any aircraft.

Attachments

• DIK.jpg
    DIK.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
New member here,

Signed up just to put an end to the B737 rated pilot false information. The accident pilot's name on record with the FAA is Dong il, with a space between the two words. Look it up, you guys will find someone with a CURRENT medical with very RECENT certifications.
This one was an Airbus and it didn't crash. Being new, you may have made a wrong turn. Welcome just the same!

This one was an Airbus and it didn't crash. Being new, you may have made a wrong turn. Welcome just the same!
I'm not sure that you followed the entire thread but it was reported that the accident pilot had a b737 type rating. Boom took the time to sign up and let us know that the name was misspelled and he actually was a recently certificated commercial pilot.

I'm not sure that you followed the entire thread but it was reported that the accident pilot had a b737 type rating. Boom took the time to sign up and let us know that the name was misspelled and he actually was a recently certificated commercial pilot.
Yeah, I welcomed him here. Just thought I did it in the wrong thread. Thought he was referring to the Ethiopian pilot in the 737. Too many threads for me to keep straight. Sorry.

Can't vouch for a 152, but I've come into IAD and other places in a 172. Just keep power up until the end of the runway. Then close the throttle. Nose up slightly to 110, drop ten degrees of flaps and full slip. When you hit 85 drop the rest. You can be down and off at the first taxiway.

My first trip to a busy Charlie, as both a new pilot and a new Mooney owner, I didn't drop the gear until short final (gear up to keep my speed up, with a wide-body breathing down my neck), then had to add power on the ground to expedite myself to the first exit 3000' away . . . .

My first trip to a busy Charlie, as both a new pilot and a new Mooney owner, I didn't drop the gear until short final (gear up to keep my speed up, with a wide-body breathing down my neck), then had to add power on the ground to expedite myself to the first exit 3000' away . . . .
Yes I flew my Mooney into Boston (KBOS) for an Angel Flight. About 5 mi out the controller told me to keep up 180 knots... Heavy aircraft behind me...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back