Do I need insurance if I'm getting dual given?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
If I'm renting a plane with an instructor, so I need insurance? The purpose is to get checked out on the airplane.

With just the information you provided I do not know.

1. Are you the PIC?
2. What does the rental agreement say?
3. Is the CFI an employee of company renting the plane or a contractor?

That's a question to ask the FBO you are renting from. I've seen all sorts of requirements and non requirements.

Only if you crash...
Many/most rental places have coverage only for themselves. Their insurance company will often go after the pilot. You need to ask.

Only if you crash...
Many/most rental places have coverage only for themselves. Their insurance company will often go after the pilot. You need to ask.
I wouldn’t ask the FBO...if they require it, they’ll tell you. Otherwise, odds are they’ll tell you something to the effect of “our insurance covers you flying the airplane,” which means THEY’RE covered when you’re flying the airplane, but they probably don’t understand the distinction.

Beyond that, if you’re going to be renting the airplane and feel the need to protect yourself against subrogation, get the insurance one flight early, so you’re covered during the checkout as well.

they probably don’t understand the distinction.

Wisely spoken: the (probably) flunkee at the desk/counter has no grasp of what you're concerned about. I'd humbly suggest that you get a non-owned policy to CYA; good to have when you have the plane out on your own, anyway. This is not expensive (in aviation terms), and it's not worth the wear and tear you suffer worrying about it.

Contrary to what some say, if the CFI is employed by the FBO that the aircraft is being rented from and they’re PIC, it would be very unusual for YOU to be held accountable for any mishaps. Check the rental agreement, but in general no, you don’t need insurance in that case.

Only if you crash...
If he’s with the flight school employed CFI, it’s highly unlikely they would go after the OP.

The issue I’m wondering about is I’m getting dual given, I’m not PIC, right. If I’m not PIC, I’m not the one responsible for the flight.

Never mind, I’ll just get the insurance.

You are probably right, but most check outs are one flight and then the situation changes.
Right. After the checkout and you’re flying solo, than you would be PIC and ultimately responsible. You’re typically only covered if the CFI is onboard.

The issue I’m wondering about is I’m getting dual given, I’m not PIC, right. If I’m not PIC, I’m not the one responsible for the flight.

Not necessarily, in either instance.

The purpose is to get checked out on the airplane.

After you get checked out, you'll probably want to fly the plane without an instructor.

At that point, for sure it's a good idea to have renter's insurance. Enough to pay for the plane, and more if you plan to carry unrelated passengers.

The issue I’m wondering about is I’m getting dual given....

Yer killin' me, Smalls...

'Receiving dual instruction' is less awkward.

I promise to never act as the grammar cop again. Sorry.

Yer killin' me, Smalls...

'Receiving dual instruction' is less awkward.

I promise to never act as the grammar cop again. Sorry.

The question is......:rollercoaster:

Can you log it?:popcorn::arf::eek2::ihih::ohsnap::rofl:

Back