What size oxygen bottle do you use?

C_Parker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
x
I realize every pilot has different requirements and I've read all the specifications for each bottle size, but I'm about to place an order for a 2 place portable system and curious to know what sizes are most popular.

Thanks!

Just get what will cover you and your passenger in the worst-case scenario (essentially, your airplane's endurance).

Good advice, I'm leaning towards a 15 cu. ft. because it provides 2 person capacity for round trip endurance at the altitudes I fly. The real reason I'm asking this question is more related to real world experiences, ie: real world bottle endurance and other factors I may not be considering.

What altitudes?

Consider the difference in price with the bottle you’re considering and the next largest.
Then consider where in the airplane you’ll put it, and make sure it can’t get loose.
Third, consider the cost to refill. At many, if not most, FBOs, it’s the same price regardless of the size of the tank. Hence the larger tank is more cost-effective.

I live in high altitudes and use the O2 at night (always unless just doing the pattern), any time I’m over 10k, and always for a trip lasting more than 90 min.....really helps avoid headaches.

I have a cutting torch at home, I'm planning on just refilling my bottle from there whenever possible. Typical altitudes of 10-12k, maybe up to 13.5 for short durations to hop over mountains. The cost between systems is only $5 so cost between bottle sizes isn't a consideration.

Most importantly, look at where you want to put the bottle and make sure it will fit before you buy. Ask me how I know... I now have two bottles.

That's a good point, the kit I'm looking at has a bag that mounts to a seat. Would be nice to find a less conspicuous location. Are there other mounting options?

I use m6 bottles. 1 bottle per person. pulse demand regulators. I refill at home. Search my posts for a lengthy oxygen setup with parts used.

As others have said, it depends. How many people, what altitude, what type of cannulas/masks? O2d2 or whatever? My family often refuse the o2, so its just me.

as mentioned, filling it up is generally a flat charge regardless how much o2 you take. I bought the 22 whatever bottle, seemed like the sweet spot without being annoyingly huge.

I use a 9 cubic foot system with oxymizers. Plenty for 2 people for 4 hours or one for 8 hours. As others have said it depends on room and intended use. I have found that most airports at least on the east coast do not have readily available oxygen refills especially on the weekend. I imagine the further west you go the better the services will become. I keep mine mostly for weather avoidance purposes so the small size has worked fine for me.

I have a E size medical bottle (680 liters) as it was super cheap on Craigslist ($50 for two bottles, filled, plus regulator, and bag of masks and cannulas and tubing). It weighs 8 pounds, so a few more than a smaller bottle, but not much.
It is overkill for anything I will do, but I can get it swapped or filled at many places.

That explains it. I guess per passenger it is the same size as an E bottle in my 150.

Back