Rough River Kentucky Fly-in 2019 - April 26-28

As a bitter old freakin’ white guy, all I can say is that I freakin’ hope it freakin’ rains the entire freakin’ weekend so that the freakin’ river rises and washes away the freakin’ airport.

Ok. I feel better now.

Nah, actually I’m wishing you all blue skies and calm winds.

Since there's no IAP's into 2I3, @Skyrys62 got me thinking about my game plan if the weather becomes an issue. It looks to me like flying the RNAV RWY 21 at KJQD and canceling to fly over to 2I3 is the best plan. Provided the ceilings are below the MVA. If on the approach you have legal/comfy VFR when you break out, it should only be about 15 miles over there with nothing too ominous in the path.

Here's hoping for VFR weather so this won't be needed.

View attachment 73403

VFR is the only thing I understood there.

I'm sorry buddy...I'll rephrase it so you can understand...

Sincen there ain't no insturmnt a-pproaches into ole rough river, I done de-cided on a plan iffin the wether turns to hell faster than a hot knife thru butter. I reckon flyin that new fangled R-Nav thang into twenty-one over yonder at Oh-hi-O county than cancelin and flippin a U'ey into rough river el get er dun. I'ma thinkin it'll be slicker then owl $h!t.

Ok...it's not great but that's all I got. :)

Basically don’t get your under-britches in a wad.

Sincen there ain't no insturmnt a-pproaches into ole rough river, I done de-cided on a plan iffin the wether turns to hell faster than a hot knife thru butter. I reckon flyin that new fangled R-Nav thang into twenty-one over yonder at Oh-hi-O county than cancelin and flippin a U'ey into rough river el get er dun. I'ma thinkin it'll be slicker then owl $h!t.

Yeah, buddy!

you-know-you-suck-in-bed-when-your-blow-up-doll-34394716.png

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Oh! Now that makes sense.

THIS JUST IN

Rough River KY is no longer a dry county.
Nice of them to change that for us.

"Rough River Dam State Park. On-premises service of alcoholic beverages is permitted at Rough River Dam State Park."

I shouldn't have signed that paperwork until next month.

You girls will love this:

I can't fly a SR-22 to Rough River Fly In, because the engine is still in the shop.

But I can listen to Prince music in my Traveler.

You girls will love this:

I can't fly a SR-22 to Rough River Fly In, because the engine is still in the shop.

But I can listen to Prince music in my Traveler.

I can smell the Zima on his breath just reading that. :)

I can help......Upon CNX- Turn heading XYZ John Deer tractor, Podunk Water Tower direct, maintain 500'. Cancel with the sheriff running the cock fights across the river

What kinds of activities are we planning? I'm wondering what to bring along as far as stuff like chairs, stuff for the baby, anything for a cookout, etc.

Depending on what time I finish my commitment to young eagles I may Try and hop over in the twin Grumman

Depending on what time I finish my commitment to young eagles I may Try and hop over in the twin Grumman

“Hop” = ‘Slummin’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am just seeing this delightfully funny thread. I live close by in Louisville and would like to drop in for a while and meet some of you characters. Unfortunately I can't make a weekend of it because of work and derby preparations. When is everyone arriving? If I come Saturday morning for brunch will I meet a lot of you guys?

I am just seeing this delightfully funny thread. I live close by in Louisville and would like to drop in for a while and meet some of you characters. Unfortunately I can't make a weekend of it because of work and derby preparations. When is everyone arriving? If I come Saturday morning for brunch will I meet a lot of you guys?

Yes you will

What kinds of activities are we planning? I'm wondering what to bring along as far as stuff like chairs, stuff for the baby, anything for a cookout, etc.
Legitimate question that other inquiring minds want to know. Cookout? Hors d’oeurves?

Given this group of misfits, it would be nice to have a Dr on hand. :)

Ok, as one the registered old farts of the group, I will try to answer questions about activities. Mainly working with this group, self included is kind of like herding cats or mercury depending on your age. While I have no idea what we will do I can elaborate on what happened last year when we were at KY Dam State Park. As always someone i'm sure to correct me but here goes.

Thursday Night
Some people showed up Thursday evening and IIRC we ate at the lodge, was this when Barney the Dinosaur showed up?

Friday
I had breakfast in my Motor home but I think some of the group had breakfast at the lodge as well as lunch. At some point in the afternoon a group took a Pontoon Boat out and tried their best to sink it, or was this Saturday, memory is fading as i didn't go. No names will be mentioned. There was also some fun flying that took place. We went to a Mexican Restaurant for dinner that evening and used that time to pick up vittles for Saturday night's entertainment. Also Friday night there was lots of singing first in a lodge room till asked to stop then in the main lodge it self into the wee hours of the morning.

Saturday
I think Breakfast and Lunch at the lodge, followed by hanging out at the airport and maybe the infamous boat ride of death. For Saturday evening we had an illegal camp fire near one of the cottages using illegally transported firewood, not saying who brought that. We cooked burgers, and dogs and had a fantastic dinner around the camp fire. At some point lots of KY Bourbon started being passed around the camp fire. Andy played guitar and sang along with anyone that wanted to sing as well. All in all we all, (I think) had an absolute blast. Rumor has it there might be a second guitar and picker there as well. No, I haven't been taking lessons!!!!

Sunday
I think some met for breakfast and then at the airport to send people off to head home.

For those that don't know, the reason we moved to Rough River was that the facilities at KY Dam State Park are really spread out while Rough River is more compact and accessible. Transportation can be an issue if we eat off site. I will be towing my CRV there but that only seats 5 people. Dustin had an Escolade there last year but he is getting married and doesn't want his wife to know how demented we are just yet. There may be a couple others driving but that remains to be sorted out.

If you want to do some activities on your own I think there is a lot to do at the park, you can check out their website. https://parks.ky.gov/parks/resortparks/rough-river/things_to_do.aspx

Any other questions feel free to ask!!

I was mainly trying to see if we should bring some kind of food stuffs since, once we leave home our ability to run and get anything will be dependent on someone else driving.

I would assume but not certain that we might try to do something Sat Night, if everyone brought something like chips. dip, salsa, snacks deserts we could chip in and get meat. If there is a store reasonably close I can take some folks shopping.

Back