Why do the Chinese throw coins into jet engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we embalm dead people. Same reason. Culturally it makes us feel good

Now, mind you I'm only speculating but you know we always marvel about how stupid our general population is here in the US? Well in China, especially 50-60 years ago when some of these folks where going to school they were in a culture with little mechanization and a rural communist economy. However ignorant our people are about how things work some of those people are probably another order of magnitude lower in their knowledge.

If you really want some scary stuff read about the kinds of things they thought were good ideas back when gas and electricity service to your home were new things in western nations.

Have you heard the one about leaving a fan running with a baby sleeping in the room?

If you really want some scary stuff read about the kinds of things they thought were good ideas back when gas and electricity service to your home were new things in western nations.

Even encouraged to be used as a murder weapon.

428422_v1.jpg

Many Japanese fishermen believe that it is good luck to pass very close to a warship and there have been many close calls and some collisions between fishing boats trying to refill their supply of luck for the year and US ships entering and leaving Japanese ports. We had a fishing boat come within a few feet of a collision once when my destroyer was in Tokyo bay.

The coin throwing might be similar to the ancient Greek belief of placing coins with their dead to pay the toll for the ferry over the Styx.

Sounds like a terrible idea.

It’s also heartwarming to see that another western tradition (“make someone pay”) has also made it over there...

I remember my dad talking about calls from people worried about when a nuclear plant went online as they might get radiation coming into their house through the powerlines. o_O

Its a shame superstition isn’t sometimes just a good idea. Instead of throwing coins by the plane or near it (they don’t throw them into the engines, but the coins could end up there) why not “make a donation anonymously for good luck”?

Not surprised these are the same people that think eating tiger penises will make them more virile.

Arrogant and American do start with the same letter, so we got that going for ourselves. LOL

Arrogant and American do start with the same letter, so we got that going for ourselves. LOL

I've never thrown metal into a critical moving system, nor have I eaten any sort of animal parts in the belief that it will give me special powers.

Well, heck, here in the US we shoot chickens into jet engines.....

https://www.nts.com/services/testing/environmental/bird-strike/

The first time I saw a 777 was around 1997 at ORD. My wife was with me. We were in a United lounge, and it was built in sort of a reverse T with the nose and wings close to the building.

Of course I flew over to the window to examine the huge GE90 engine. I was telling my wife all about it, and she looked interested ( :D). Then I told her how dead chickens were shot into the engines during certification testing.

She rolled her eyes and said "You are so full of ****". I told her "No,no, it's true". I looked to my left, and there was a United captain sitting in a chair hiding behind an open newspaper, trying unsuccessfully not to laugh at me. He didn't offer any help to corroborate my claim.

It was pretty funny overall, my wife was indignant that I thought she would believe such a tale. I had to show her proof on the internet when we got home. :D

The lack of consequences doesn't make the belief any less ignorant.

I think the whole big truck thing is a projection by those that don't drive them and not that the owner actually thinks it makes him that way where the Chinese admit the whole tiger penis thing.

Of course I flew over to the window to examine the huge GE90 engine. I was telling my wife all about it, and she looked interested ( :D). Then I told her how dead chickens were shot into the engines during certification testing.

She rolled her eyes and said "You are so full of ****". I told her "No,no, it's true". I looked to my left, and there was a United captain sitting in a chair hiding behind an open newspaper, trying unsuccessfully not to laugh at me. He didn't offer any help to corroborate my claim.

There is actually a gun for this, the Chicken Gun.

And that United captain... well.....

How about those who bring a little grill and charcoal to cook food during a flight.

Anybody who can grab a tiger by the penis is virile enough.
Quite a few men could probably grab them, but it's what would happen immediately after doing so that would drastically whittle down the field of virile men!

Coins and rapidly spinning fan blades don't sound like a good combination.

The first time I saw a 777 was around 1997 at ORD. My wife was with me. We were in a United lounge, and it was built in sort of a reverse T with the nose and wings close to the building.

It was pretty funny overall, my wife was indignant that I thought she would believe such a tale. I had to show her proof on the internet when we got home. :D
1111.jpg

Apparently there has been some discussion on this on Chinese blogs. Unclear how the tradition jumped from the Western tradition of putting coins in ponds. It is evidently not a Buddhist tradition.
Some people may have actually thrown coins into the engine as well as nearby.

http://www.thatsmags.com/china/post/27209/why-are-people-throwing-coins-into-plane-engines

https://www.weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404342524826286235 (if you can read Chinese). Looks like they try to explain why this is a bad idea. Tried Google translate on the whole page but didn't work. Some bits seem to be working:

==

Throwing coins into the plane can't be prayed, and will be detained! Promise me not to do this again?

On February 17, 2019, Xiangpeng Airlines 8L9960 Anqing-Kunming flight, originally scheduled to take off at 15:05 to Kunming, Yunnan. However, the staff found two coins near the left engine area during the winding inspection. After the crew broadcast, a 28-year-old Lu surnamed male passenger admitted that he would safely throw coins at the plane, and threw two one-dollar coins in the direction of the aircraft fuselage with his left hand during boarding.

In order to avoid potential risks and ensure flight safety, Xiangpeng Airlines decided to cancel the flight on duty and arranged for professionals to go to Anqing to conduct further hole inspections on the aircraft engine. On that night, 162 stranded passengers on the flight were properly resettled, and on the 18th, they took a follow-up flight to Kunming.

Because of a small move by a passenger, the flight was eventually cancelled and all passengers were stranded in Anqing for 17 hours. This behavior not only affects the travel of other passengers, but the passenger himself will also face severe punishment.

At present, the passenger involved in the incident is suspected of disrupting the normal production order of the airport, which constitutes a disorder of the production order of the unit. It has been punished by the terminal building police station for 7 days in public security detention. At the same time, the incident caused a direct economic loss of nearly 140,000 yuan to Xiangpeng Airlines, and the company will prosecute the passenger according to law.

Although it seems to everyone that throwing coins into the plane is incredible, it is like a paragraph on the Internet.

But in fact, such incidents are not the first time.

On October 18, 2017, Xiangpeng Airlines 8L9960 Anqing-Kunming flight during the passenger boarding process, a passenger threw a coin into the aircraft engine. After the aircraft crew of Anqing Airport discovered it, it immediately stopped it and inspected the aircraft. In order to ensure flight safety, Xiangpeng Airlines canceled the flight, arranged the aircraft to stop and conduct a comprehensive inspection of the engine, and properly resettle the passengers. On the morning of the 19th, the plane was fully re-inspected before it took off again.

On June 27, 2017, a Shanghai Airlines Pudong-Guangzhou flight was thrown into the engine by an elderly passenger for praying for flight. The flight was delayed for more than five hours, and nearly 150 passengers were stranded in Pudong.

Maybe a friend will ask, what is the impact of a small coin? Why is it so "big move" every time, is it a delay or a cancellation?

In response to this problem, Xiaobian specially invited the small brother of the top professional of Xiangpeng Aviation Maintenance Engineering Department to solve the problem for everyone.

After reading the above science, you should know the seriousness of this behavior, right?

Promise me, really don't throw coins at the plane again?

Not only can you not pray, but it will also endanger aviation safety, be detained, be fined, and be sued... This is what it is!

Going out, security must be the first.

For the safety of you and others, please be sure to follow the rules and regulations of the airport, maintain the public order of the airport, take advantage of the opportunity to take the opportunity to travel safely, and never violate the relevant regulations!

Xiaobian, this is to give you a lighter look, in addition to throwing coins, what misconduct can endanger aviation safety.

(1) Unauthorized opening of the emergency exit hatch

On April 27, 2018, after the 8L9720 Sanya-Mianyang flight arrived at the Mianyang Nanjiao Airport, a passenger opened the emergency exit hatch and the slide was released. After the captain decided, the crew will give an alarm, the airport public security will be on the plane, and the passengers involved will be taken off the plane.

Article 25 of the Civil Aviation Safety and Security Regulations clearly stipulates that theft, intentional damage or unauthorized movement of life-saving articles and equipment is prohibited in aircraft, and other acts that endanger flight safety and disrupt the order within the aircraft are prohibited. Passengers open the aircraft emergency slides without authorization. According to the seriousness of the case, they will face administrative punishments and even criminal charges, and they will also bear corresponding civil liabilities.

(2) smoking on board

On January 15, 2019, the 8L9891 Wuhan-Dalian flight, 40 minutes before the plane landed, a passenger went to the front service room to smoke and triggered a smoke alarm. After the landing, the passenger was handed over to the ground public security, and the Dalian Airport Public Security imposed a five-day administrative detention on the passenger.

(3) Check the charging treasure or use the charging treasure to charge the mobile phone in flight.

According to the requirements of the Civil Aviation Administration of China, the charging treasure carried by passengers must be personally used and can only be carried or carried in the baggage. It is strictly forbidden to carry it in checked baggage. The rated energy of the charging treasure carried by the aircraft does not exceed 100Wh (hours of watts), without the approval of the airline; at the same time, passengers are not allowed to use the charging treasure to charge the electronic equipment during the flight.

In fact, not only the charging treasure, but also a separate lithium battery can not be checked. Charging treasure belongs to the spare lithium battery. It is easy to cause spontaneous combustion after being exposed to heat in high altitude environment. If the lithium battery is directly put into the baggage, the baggage will collide and collide in a small cargo space and it is very likely to explode. The fire in the cargo compartment is difficult. Discovery and control, so lithium battery shipping is very dangerous.

Xiangpeng Airlines once again reminded passengers not to make acts that hinder the safety of civil aviation during the travel process, resulting in adverse consequences that threaten the safety of flights and damage the rights and interests of other passengers. Otherwise, they will bear corresponding legal responsibilities.

Take the opportunity to travel safely and civilize, start from you and me!

==

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back