Garmin installed halted?

Sounds more like they are using customers as their R&D platform.

What I'm understanding is that these changes were due to the additional testing of the G3X certification which also includes wired to it the G5, and GFC500.

Since these are all add-on type systems, a guy could install dual G5, then pull one and install a G3X, then later a GFC500, if those additional equipment installation need the expensive CAN wires then it might make sense to use it on all of them, in effort to minimize rework and improve conformity. (my WAG)

$4.50 a steenkin' foot. For a 10 or 15' run, just how is the difference in resistance going to make a whit's bit of difference over standard tefzel twisted pair? Any EE's in da house?

so whats the benefit of these "new" wires again?

Some millennial age electrons must have been triggered. Now we need politically correct wire to avoid a human rights action.

How much CANBUS wire does a typical GA installation need?
The CAN bus connects to each "LRU" or line replaceable box that connects to the G5. If you have an autopilot, you will need the bus line to go to each of the servos. If you have a magnetometer (optional) the bus line will have to run to the magnetometer also. The bus line ends do not meet and form a circle. You can run the bus line in any route you like so long as it connects to each LRU. If your system is only a G5 connected to a 430W then you may have a line from the G5 to the GAD 29 box (ARINC to connect G5 to an ARINC out from EFIS or GPS) to the 430W; this may only be about 3 feet in total.

The CAN bus connects to each "LRU" or line replaceable box that connects to the G5. If you have an autopilot, you will need the bus line to go to each of the servos. If you have a magnetometer (optional) the bus line will have to run to the magnetometer also. The bus line ends do not meet and form a circle. You can run the bus line in any route you like so long as it connects to each LRU. If your system is only a G5 connected to a 430W then you may have a line from the G5 to the GAD 29 box (ARINC to connect G5 to an ARINC out from EFIS or GPS) to the 430W; this may only be about 3 feet in total.

So figure 20 to reach servo/magnetometer in the wing, another 20 to reach the tail servos//magnetometer and 10 for behind the panel connections....50’ would be my guess. G5s and GFC500 installation.

Tom

So figure 20 to reach servo/magnetometer in the wing, another 20 to reach the tail servos//magnetometer and 10 for behind the panel connections....50’ would be my guess. G5s and GFC500 installation.

You'd think so, but I bet it's more than that. Remember, it's not a straight shot! Behind the panel, tied up to something to avoid interfering with flight controls, to the sidewall, then down near the floor, back a few feet, then out into the wing or back to the tail. And the Magnetometer isn't going to work all that well if you stick it right next to a motor. It'd probably be best to have it in the other wing, as far from the light wiring as possible. (I've been told that the ideal location is about 200 feet aft of the tail. :rofl:)

And while all the stuff in the panel is close, several close runs can add up. Add in a service loop to each run and I wouldn't be surprised if an average install is closer to 80 feet total.

It is helpful that you don't have to do separate runs to each servo, though - Pitch, Trim, and Yaw Damper servos would all end up in my tail and daisy chaining them would be really easy.

They had to come up with a way to make there new 8k IFR box cost as much as a 750. Another reason to hate garmin, as if needed another one.

They had to come up with a way to make there new 8k IFR box cost as much as a 750. Another reason to hate garmin, as if needed another one.
For the 40-80 feet of wire that everyone is saying at $10/foot, they still have quite a ways to go.

0.5AMU cost overrun on an install costing dozens of AMU doesn't sound that bad, at least compared to the 12 week lead time if that holds true.

Any new news on the garmin 375 do you need the 210 or 510 or is it ready to go

Good news - Garmin just got approval on Rev. 18 of the install manual, which "updates the type design data to reintroduce shielded twisted-pair cable, MIL-C-27500 as an optional wire type for use in CAN bus installation and other minor clarifications to the STC Installation manual."

Let the installs resume! :)

Back