Need a Pre Buy in New England

Nathan Harwood

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan
I am getting close to making an offer on a Piper PA32R-301; however, after having just moved to New England I am looking for a good, experienced A&P / IA who can give me a brutally honest pre-buy inspection. Preferably someone with extensive Piper experience. The plane isn't very old and it has been flown quite a bit (about 160 hours per year) but it is in a tie down spot, 2 miles from the ocean and I can see a bit of surface corrosion on some fasteners, etc. Good news, it's only been in New England for 24 months, not it's whole life.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Nathan

Welcome ,what state are you in? Plenty of capable shops in New England.

Hi Ron, I am in Rhode Island. KUUU (Newport) is where the aircraft is based.

Fly it to Sturgis, MI if you are that anal about it...... Look up Bartelt Aviation.... you know, the PA32 experts.

636 miles direct.

I recommend Eric at VIP Avionics KHFD (30 min flight) who did my pre-buy and he was very detailed/professional. In my case I limited him to just one day of inspection because I can tell that pre-buys can vary dramatically in scope. Lucky for me, he said my airplane was in good shape with only one page of items to discuss. He said he normally has 5 pages on most. I have flown it 250 hours since the pre-buy with only minor items he identified needing some service.

I appreciate all the recommendations.

And Unit74, you'll be shocked to hear that I did call Bartelt, and they are booked through September for pre buys. :D

If you really want to get this right, just spend the $750 and let Savvy Aviation manage your pre-buy.

Jim Casey maintained my plane and is great. He is very thorough, honest, and fair. I'll bet you a dollar if you ask if there is corrosion he says "Of course there is, it is decades old!" But will then go on to explain the types he finds, if it is a concern, remove, treat, run, ignore, etc. I'm at 1B9 as well. Try and join us for a fly-in when you can. Where will you be keeping the plane?

I recommend Adam Harris at East Coast Aero Club (Hanscom Field, Bedford MA). His team maintains a large fleet of Pipers for the local flight school as well as private owners. I’ve had all my maintenance (including pre-buy) done by them for 5 years and I’m completely satisfied.

Back