KROG, IDK? Cafe at center of runway!

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
So, how does one land there if there is a building at the center of the runway? I'm curious to find out.

Back in January I informed ForeFlight of the new FBO building and restaurant at KVBT. They updated their data accordingly. But...they showed the restaurant as being 0.4 miles from the airport. When I asked them why, I was told that all distances are measured from the centerline of the runway. I told them that's just silly when it's in the FBO building and you can taxi up to the front door it should be zero miles.

So, I'm thinking about flying down to KROG tomorrow to have lunch at the IDK? Cafe that's on the field and I noticed in ForeFlight it's shown as being 0.0 miles from the field. How do I land if there's a building at the center of the runway? Do they have the big roll up garage doors like a lot of cafes have these days. Can they open them and let me go thru while landing. Curious minds need to know. I see no NOTAM addressing this.

Or maybe Foreflight's data is entered by the same people who produce the pie charts for AOPA Pilot?

I suspect the person at FF was misinformed.

Distances are probably measured from the center of the airport. If a single runway, like BVT and ROG, the center of the airport is of course on the centerline half way down the runway. But if what I see on Google maps is accurate, the restaurant at ROG is midfield, and maybe they round down to nearest tenth, so it shows 0. The new FBO/restaurant at BVT appears to be at the north end, so .4 from airport center appears about right.

Distances are probably measured from the center of the airport.

You're right. The exact quote was "As for the Louise at Thaden Field restaurant, the location pin goes off the center point of KVBT airport."

But that wouldn't allow for the joke! ;)

The point of the joke being that it's stoooopid to list a restaurant as 1/2 mile from the airport when you can taxi up to the front door, regardless of its location on the airport grounds.

That said, IDK? is still 0.2 from the center of the airport. (Using ForeFlight's own measuring device)

Last edited:
But that wouldn't allow for the joke! ;)

The point of the joke being that it's stoooopid to list a restaurant as 1/2 mile from the airport when you can taxi up to the front door, regardless of its location on the airport grounds.

Ah, ok. I’m guilty of changing context slightly to make a better joke from time to time too.

FWIW Garmin Pilot does not list it as .4 mi.

Back