Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Only when I'm Out of Town

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Only when My Girl Friend Shows Up

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Never

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Lock mine every time. The man door is always locked, but I may leave the big door unlatched while flying to get some breeze through it.

I also so smart to not have friends so I dont have to give out access. Wait, there might be a flaw in there somewhere..

Our airport isn't completely shut off from the world with 24 hour guards and gates, land mines, moats, tiger traps, and punji sticks. So, I do lock my hangar.

I lock airplane door and hangar door. I will also close my hangar when I go out flying. I see others just leave their open

I lock mine but my circle of friends has a key if they need anything when I'm not there. I have keys to their hangars as well. We're a pretty trusting bunch.

And what does the FAA require?

(or is it "suggest"? I don't recall which.)
Actually, now that I think about it, i don't think it was the FAA, I think it was DHS after 9/11.

I was at KHRO from 2002 to 05 and we had two or three inspections. All airplanes had to be "double secured."

Things that counted were (pick any two):

Keys removed
Airplane doors locked
Hangar locked
Prop lock installed
Etc.

Today my hangar stays locked but the plane isn't and the keys are always hanging on the DG knob.

Last edited:
Every hangar I’ve had has had a lock that can be defeated in five seconds with a credit card. Hell, I lost the key for one of my hangars and just used a credit card as my new key. Works fine.

Hangar lock isn’t going to keep a thief out. It might keep an honest pilot honest, but personally, I don’t worry about it. I’d say 25 to 50 percent of all hangars at a rule Midwest airport will be unlocked.

I lock it when I'm not there or if I will be gone over night. If I have to run an errand or plan to fly somewhere and be back alter I leave it unlocked and sometimes even open. It's not the other pilots I worry about, it's the night trolls that I feel I need to keep out.

Every hangar I’ve had has had a lock that can be defeated in five seconds with a credit card. Hell, I lost the key for one of my hangars and just used a credit card as my new key. Works fine.

Hangar lock isn’t going to keep a thief out. It might keep an honest pilot honest, but personally, I don’t worry about it. I’d say 25 to 50 percent of all hangars at a rule Midwest airport will be unlocked.

My hangar has a regular lockable door handle and a deadbolt. I am afraid if I left the door open while I am away, people would take my crappy slapped together tool selection and abuse the bathroom.

My hangar has a regular lockable door handle and a deadbolt. I am afraid if I left the door open while I am away, people would take my crappy slapped together tool selection and abuse the bathroom.
Bathroom..in your hangar....must be rich...:rolleyes:

Bathroom..in your hangar....must be rich...:rolleyes:
I have hot and cold water in my hangar, as well as five bathrooms, three bedrooms, a wine cellar, bar, and spa with swimming pool, weight machine, steam room, and sauna.

I have hot and cold water in my hangar, as well as five bathrooms, three bedrooms, a wine cellar, bar, and spa with swimming pool, weight machine, steam room, and sauna.
A billionaire "A"..:)

I lock mine and only two of my friends have keys. I have one friend who doesn't get a key because he will drink all of my beer in one night! He's been known to replace what he drank, only to drink the replacement beer too! Gotta love beer... I mean friends. Gotta love friends.

I lock mine and only two of my friends have keys. I have one friend who doesn't get a key because he will drink all of my beer in one night! He's been known to replace what he drank, only to drink the replacement beer too! Gotta love beer... I mean friends. Gotta love friends.
Seams like none of the folks who stop by the hangar I rent drink beer. I offer but no takers. that is except for a retired A&P/IA, that stops by from time to time. Funny thing is he brings his own beer..:)

Combination locks on all three hangars for the club planes. Each one is a different combination. They used to be all the same, but we had a member (briefly) who abused the trust and when he was booted the combination that we had used for years on all hangars was changed. The keys to the planes, on the other hand, are either on the glare shield or hanging from the altimeter. And we all have the card key issued by the airport for the gate to get in with our cars. Other than that one kid we haven't had a problem in the 18 years I've been a member.

What sort of problems was he causing?

I don't recall the specifics, but IIRC he was a student pilot and took friends for rides (w/o a CFI) and also took a plane to an unpaved runway, in violation of club rules. Evidently he had a severe problem with following rules. So we booted him and changed the combinations on the locks.

The only case I can remember in 18+ years of membership.

Are you kidding...I live in the Chicago area. I have a knob lock, dead bolt and guard dog...otherwise my plane would be on cinder blocks. :)

Are you kidding...I live in the Chicago area. I have a knob lock, dead bolt and guard dog...otherwise my plane would be on cinder blocks. :)
I lived 3 blocks from Wrigley Field when I attended the University of Illinois Circle Campus. Coming from a farm town just south of the Wisconsin boarder it was a big change for me. I packed a S&W 38 special 2" barrel for the first week..:rolleyes:

Being close to Chicago, I get this. You probably gotta lock up your dog or they will take him too. Lock him to a bigger dog...

I generally keep it locked, plane unlocked with keys on the seat. I do leave the hangar door open if I'm planning on coming back the same day. I'm not concerned with theft, but am probably too trusting in that regard. I never lock my car.

Back