The GOT thread (spoilers inside)

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Thread to discuss Game of Thrones. Spoilers throughout the discussion, if you don't want spoilers, don't read this thread.

Whose watching? Predictions? What's going to happen in the episode? What's each character's fate?

I have predictions, but they're pretty much "last episode" things.
Jon Snow becomes king, sorry but Dany dies
Brienne of Tarth marries Jamie and becomes the lady of Casterly Rock
The Night King dies in the end of course, but since he is "patient zero", his death kills all the ice walkers, so that's at the end...maybe 1 episode before the finale.
I think one more Stark dies - probably Arya.

Death is too good for Cersei. I hope they get creative - maybe the Red God (R'hllor), the god who is keeping Beric's group alive, will volunteer to resurrect her every morning and she spends the rest of her days dying a different way every day. Needs something like that.

There's so much that could happen, I hesitate to even speculate too much. But, I do hope that Tyrion ends up sitting on the Iron Throne. This would mean every other major contender (Jon, Dany, and Cersei) are all eliminated in some way. I seriously doubt they'll end the show with him on the throne, but it would be interesting.

As far as characters who've had one hell of a character arc, I like Arya's the best. I do hope they don't kill her off, because I thought her travels with the Hound, and her time as a faceless man, were some of the best scenes in the entire show.

I do think the Night King will die, and although I don't know who'll have the killing blow, I do think Bran will have a huge role to play in his demise. It's already been shown he altered the past as the Three Eyed Raven, and I think that ability will come in to play in the Night King's defeat.

Oh, and CLEGANE BOWL. They absolutely cannot end this show until the Hound and the Mountain duke it out.

I can't wait for the premiere tomorrow. Hard to believe it's been what, 18 months since the last episode?

So how does that Ice Dragon fly with those decaying wings with all those holes?

This may get me banned but...

5da48ebe-b5c4-45da-8026-171108afeef7._SX368_.png

Seriously? The great game of thrones ends with the throne being given away?

What a completely stupid ending.

Seriously? The great game of thrones ends with the throne being given away?

What a completely stupid ending.

Yeah, I was disappointed to say the least. For the first six seasons, when I lived in San Jose, you couldn't tear me away from my Sunday night ritual of grabbing a pizza from my favorite pizza place, opening up a nice bottle of wine, and watching GoT. I silenced my phone, and never missed an episode.

Season 7 was iffy. Sometimes I'd watch live, and sometimes I'd watch it off DVR later.

This season, I was ambivalent. I thought Season 8 was too rushed, and filled with lazy writing, and had a totally unsatisfying ending.

Sad that one of the greatest shows ever, and one I loved, totally fell on its face the last couple seasons. I got the sense the showrunners wanted nothing more than to hurry and finish up so they could move on to other things.

Come on, this show has been killing off all your beloved characters, robbing you of joyous payoffs from long story arcs, and generally letting you down for the past 7 seasons. Why would the last be any different? Lol. Seriously though I don't think it's quite fair to look down on the finale as much as people have. The show has always been about showing just how ****ty and terrible humans are and how disappointing the reality of life can be. That finale was the perfect end in that regard, goes right along with the rest of the series. You didn't really expect a happy family fairy tale ending with all the surviving good guys did you?

Come on, this show has been killing off all your beloved characters, robbing you of joyous payoffs from long story arcs, and generally letting you down for the past 7 seasons. Why would the last be any different? Lol. Seriously though I don't think it's quite fair to look down on the finale as much as people have. The show has always been about showing just how ****ty and terrible humans are and how disappointing the reality of life can be. That finale was the perfect end in that regard, goes right along with the rest of the series. You didn't really expect a happy family fairy tale ending with all the surviving good guys did you?

I think that is some of the people's displeasure. Every past season had jaw dropping surprises where the good guys constantly lost and suffered. Total departure from most shows where the good always prospers. In a way that is why I feel a little let down by this season finale. Every episode I waited for the plot twist, the angle nobody thought of, the fall of another good guy and it never really happened. While I still think this last season was good, it was nothing like all the seasons before it. It's like they took the easy road out and turned soft. I'm sure there will be plenty of spin offs which I am looking forward to. Now, time to go cancel HBO

I think that is some of the people's displeasure. Every past season had jaw dropping surprises where the good guys constantly lost and suffered. Total departure from most shows where the good always prospers. In a way that is why I feel a little let down by this season finale. Every episode I waited for the plot twist, the angle nobody thought of, the fall of another good guy and it never really happened. While I still think this last season was good, it was nothing like all the seasons before it. It's like they took the easy road out and turned soft. I'm sure there will be plenty of spin offs which I am looking forward to. Now, time to go cancel HBO
I agree, IMO the first 5 episodes were big let downs, they were predictable, feel good and lazy. That's not why I watched the show, I watched it to be surprised and caught completely off guard. In that regard I actually liked the very last episode, to throw away the throne they had been fighting for the entire show, just to be usurped by a quasi democracy. But the episodes prior to that? they were lazy and bad.

Looking forward to the "making of" show this weekend - see some of the old homeland.

I haven't seen any GoT, but from the way the conversation goes, the gist of it is how evil humans can be to each other. Sounds a lot like TWD, where you'd think the biggest threat was walkers, but instead was other people.

On an unrelated note, I was perusing a magazine a few years ago, flipped a page and my jaw dropped. Some girl I'd never heard of, Maise Williams, is identical to my daughter. I hope she was one of the good people.

upload_2019-5-22_9-24-32.png

The Simpson writers seem to have been on their game with this from 2017...... Maybe those writers should have written season 8.

They even got the 1 dragon burning the city.

IMG_3637.PNG

Some girl I'd never heard of, Maise Williams, is identical to my daughter. I hope she was one of the good people.

She was. Well, as good as anyone could be on a show like GoT. ;) Regardless she was definitely one of the more interesting characters, IMO.

I just saw the finale today, and wasn't as disappointed as I expected I'd be. Seasons 7 and 8 were definitely rushed and suffered from some lazy writing at times, but I'm not a writer and I'm sure it's difficult to take all the various threads and tie them up in a manner that won't **** off lots of people. I do wish they hadn't cut down the length of the seasons though. I think another couple of episodes per season would have given the writers more time to tie up the loose ends in a more satisfying way.

Back