Air-to-Air Cessna 337 Skymaster

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
Well, unfortunately sometimes photoshoots aren't perfect. As we formed up, I looked over and told the owner of this beautiful plane that his nosegear doors were open. Then we lost the sun before I got all of the shots I wanted, but I still got some good shots. I guess we'll have to try again someday!

33466491678_63527ffc3c_b.jpg

33466489758_8877b4a1d3_b.jpg

46619153574_7714072aac_b.jpg

33466486308_47f7ef815c_b.jpg

33466470278_61a726b348_b.jpg

47342454981_2b493d9765_b.jpg

33466459778_ed37e6c590_b.jpg

47289900102_d3e54207be_b.jpg

47289899212_8fa5f2e087_b.jpg

That hat and beard look familiar.... is that Keith Sturgeon?

Last edited:
He called a month or two ago to let me know he had purchased one.... But neglected to say how pretty it was. Bully for him!
I was up in Roanoke working on a story for EAA and decided to drive through Hicks on the way home. He waved as we drive by and my friend reminded me I was looking for a Skymaster for Cessna Owners. I turned around and we jumped out of my truck. He asked if he was about to get his butt kicked and I replied, “Yes, how dare you wave at us.” Good guy and a helluva pilot.

I remember watching the USAF version around Bergstrom AFB in the late 70s. They all would fly single file in their traffic pattern in amongst the RF-4Cs.

I've seen a lot of those Skymasters before...... most are rotting on the ramp, missing equipment like and engine or two. Looks very nice.

I've seen a lot of those Skymasters before...... most are rotting on the ramp, missing equipment like and engine or two. Looks very nice.
This one is a beauty. I agree, most aren’t this nice.

Beautiful plane and photos!

I'm curious, having only dabbled in Photoshop a little... would it be possible to use Photoshop to easily make the doors appear closed, or would it still be obvious that part of the image had been modified?

Probably more fun just to go up again and get more shots :)

Beautiful plane and photos!

I'm curious, having only dabbled in Photoshop a little... would it be possible to use Photoshop to easily make the doors appear closed, or would it still be obvious that part of the image had been modified?

Probably more fun just to go up again and get more shots :)
I've never liked the idea of PhotoShopping an image. I think once I got caught doing it, people would start to doubt all of my work. I'm also a big believer of get it right and you don't need PhotoShop (not judging those that use it!) Because of that philosophy, I really have no Photo Shop skills. That being said, I did tell the magazine they have my permission to do it on these particular photos if they can. If I wasn't up against my deadline, I would have just gone back and did another shoot.

I will shoot this plane again though. It's just too cool of a plane not to!

I will shoot this plane again though. It's just too cool of a plane not to!
Ping me when you're planning on being up here for that... we might have you do our club aircraft too (Bonanza V35 and C182P based at KDTO)

Ping me when you're planning on being up here for that... we might have you do our club aircraft too (Bonanza V35 and C182P based at KDTO)
I will let you know. We don't have to wait on that shoot, but I'm so far behind right now, it will be a few weeks before I can breathe again! I would probably want to do a morning shoot for you so we can spend quite a bit of time getting both airplanes done.

I've never liked the idea of PhotoShopping an image. I think once I got caught doing it, people would start to doubt all of my work.

Understood! When I first visited Yellowstone in the early 90s, I bought a Nikon N90 film camera and got into photography (nothing major, just amateur stuff). When digital cameras started to become popular, I was against them for so many years because I viewed digital photography as "fake" photography. That was until I needed an updated camera and decided to give it a try and bought a DSLR. Wow, was my viewpoint changed. No more taking 36 shots and then fooling with changing a roll of film. With a large enough memory card, I could took compose and take as many shots as I wanted without worries of wasting film or time. I felt it actually improved my photography because I could take more photos. WAY more photos.

I've used Photoshop sparingly on some of the photos I've taken, and each time I can't help but feel a twinge of guilt in the back of my mind that it's "cheating". Like every photo I retouch somehow now has an asterisk beside it.

I've used Photoshop sparingly on some of the photos I've taken, and each time I can't help but feel a twinge of guilt in the back of my mind that it's "cheating". Like every photo I retouch somehow now has an asterisk beside it.
I think the magazine decided to edit the photos, at least for the cover. Most people never get the chance to have their planes on a magazine cover and they want him to be proud of it. I gave them my blessing!

I always thought the 337 looked really cool. Great idea for safety, the Rutan defiant is nice without the rhino rudder and the Adams plane should have been awesome (came out overweight and the jet version, yawn).

I always thought the 337 looked really cool. Great idea for safety, the Rutan defiant is nice without the rhino rudder and the Adams plane should have been awesome (came out overweight and the jet version, yawn).
Well, if luck holds out, I’ll have all three in the air together fairly soon!

That's what I understand from your previous posts, can't wait. You are in the central Texas area, love watching your photo shoots and typically trying to identify which lake you are flying over. Lived here basically my whole life.

I love mixmasters! They are cool looking birds.
Me too. They just have a sweet look about them! In this case, the owner gave up an A-36, which was faster, to get two engines so he feels better flying to Baja.

It's not all bad news....there's still a fairly good community of us Skymaster owners that keep them flying. :)

Here's mine and here's a few of us out for breakfast.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back