Anyone messed themselves in annual?

I firmly believe it is not my responsibility to put them in college. Get good grades and get scholarships or play good sports. Your other option is working your way through or the military. At 18, you pay rent or earn the right to live here. You think I'm kidding, they know I m not. But I'm not ****ing away my retirement for school. YMWV
Absolutely right. Your retirement comes first. They can pay off their loans while they work, but you have to finance your retirement with your nest egg.

I worked, got a memorial scholarship, and had minimal loans when I got my degree. The total academic loan amount shouldn't exceed the anticipated job's first year salary. My loan amount was maybe a month's pay. I commuted from home all but a half semester so my folks pretty much provided room and board, but I did a lot of farm work on weekends, so that helped.

Send the cases to Cranckase Services in Tulsa for welding. R/R costs and miscellaneous updating of bottom end components while the bottom end is open will of course depend on the shop doing the final re-assembly. All in, this can be accomplished for much less than an OH, regardless whether the peanut gallery on here considers IRANs a false economy or not. Bad internals beyond the scope of the repair in question? Meh, cross that bridge when you get to it, if you get to it. To each their own.

An engineering degree will get you pretty far. Hell, it got me a Skywagon at 23.

It's sad to hear about addiction at such a young age...especially someone with such a fine education and the potential of a bright future ahead of them. ;)

Last edited:
I came here to hear some ‘shart’ tales of whoa. Yes I’ve messed myself.

(Un)Fortunately, don't own a plane, so no tales of annual woes. I have a (not current) A&P, so while I can't do the inspection, I could help with the maintenance and repairs. And, there are several areas where the owner can legally do the maintenance.

just finishing annual,highest priced one so far,of course i had some major repairs.had a bad cylinder among some other problems. seems all the airplane gremlins appeared at once this year.

Now, they want to go to a school of their choice out of high school and out of state, let THEM work to pay the bills. Nobody ever guaranteed them a university education out of the womb.

Yup. Generally, the best students I saw while teaching at college were those who were spending the money they had earned, not Daddy's. The value of money becomes real to those folks. And they know what they can expect if they fool around and flunk out: no money, no job, no sympathy.

Invoice came in today...... :(

Last edited:
Might work, tell people that you are living in your "transportation" and you need money so you can move back to a home, not a complete lie after you purchase that glass panel...:)

I cleverly had my insurance/tiedown/annual all hit at the same time too. Living the dream...

I went in early for annual this year, prepping for a summer of significant flying. I went ahead and took care of ADS-B compliance while it’s in the shop. And some other panel work. And some AP work. And a new engine.

This one’s gunna hurt.

Got my plane out of annual (our first) last week. Upgraded ELT (402), new rudder, left wing fuel drain valve and a right wing aileron rod end bearing .. Days later, I still find it hard to sit down

Got my plane out of annual (our first) last week. Upgraded ELT (402), new rudder, left wing fuel drain valve and a right wing aileron rod end bearing .. Days later, I still find it hard to sit down

New rudder? Was it a corrosion issue?

(Un)Fortunately, don't own a plane, so no tales of annual woes. I have a (not current) A&P, so while I can't do the inspection, I could help with the maintenance and repairs. And, there are several areas where the owner can legally do the maintenance.
You can do absolutely zero part of the inspection.

Mine is still in the shop for its annual. I thought I was going to get off easy this year, you know the kind so many people brag about, <$1.5 AMU. Not a chance. The airplane gods thought otherwise. As it turns out, a significant portion of my carbon fiber cowl is delaminating in various locations. So the glass wizard is fixing the nose bowl, upper and lower cowl assemblies. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever see what so many here on POA claim to be a “normal” annual for a fixed gear, fixed pitch prop 1991 Grumman Tiger. Oh well, as my wife says, it’s only money and it is sure to look purdy when it’s done.

Mine is still in the shop for its annual. I thought I was going to get off easy this year, you know the kind so many people brag about, <$1.5 AMU. Not a chance. The airplane gods thought otherwise. As it turns out, a significant portion of my carbon fiber cowl is delaminating in various locations. So the glass wizard is fixing the nose bowl, upper and lower cowl assemblies. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever see what so many here on POA claim to be a “normal” annual for a fixed gear, fixed pitch prop 1991 Grumman Tiger. Oh well, as my wife says, it’s only money and it is sure to look purdy when it’s done.
Ya know, I just charge a flat rate for the inspection, every thing else is 50 per hour to fix.

Additions, up grades, and repairs are not a part of the inspection

from your own quote
The answer is yes, as long as the IA mechanic is performing the inspection.

Invoice came in today...... :(

Still waiting for mine, but I know that this will be the most expensive annual for me so far. My shop has just got a very knowledgeable Bonanza mechanic who found some stuff others didn't. All legit.

The biggest expense was exhaust repairs and replacing a cracked rib in the right flap (just under the step). It was likely there for many years as a few previous owners were quite big guys... I've also got new tires, new flap motor (I still had an original one from 1967!!), new shimmy damper, new ELT (I had ameriking one affected by AD). The rest was just small things here and there like rigging the gear doors, replacing various gaskets and o-rings, new fuel drains, window seals, etc.

Some of that stuff could wait, but I decided to postpone some upgrades and make it perfect.

So or if all planned upgrades I only put G5 AI and installed Aera 660 in the panel dock replacing my old 396. Hardwired to power, audio, GDL39 3D and my 430W. I did Aera install myself under A&P supervision.

I still plan to install a second G5 later this year and do most of the wiring myself. Decided not to do it now as the plane was sitting in the shop for too long already and they are swamped.

Glad I replaced the flap motor. The old one was noisy and very slow. The new one is a bit quieter and much faster. I was complaining about my flap extension speed for many years now, but I was told that replacing the motor likely won't make it faster. It was taking 20-22 seconds to full extension. Now it takes 12. What a difference.

The bottom line is that it's pretty normal for those of us flying 40-50 year old airplanes. There is always something. You can defer some stuff for later but at some point you'll have to address it.

Hopefully mine will be done by Wednesday...evidentially there is a fly-in down in Kentucky this weekend.

The only thing found in the inspection was the brakes needing a little attention...it's a miracle!

I did have them do a bunch of elective stuff...here's hoping the bill isn't shocking! :)

I did just get hit up for $14k this week. That was the 1/2 deposit on just the engine. Looking forward to the other half. And the rest of the annual. And panel work. And transponder. BOHICA.

It will be nice to have it behind me though:eek:

...The bottom line is that it's pretty normal for those of us flying 40-50 year old airplanes. There is always something. You can defer some stuff for later but at some point you'll have to address it.

:yeahthat:

These things age, and they need attention to stay safely airworthy. One can either do a little bit on a continuous basis, or brag they've never had an expensive annual for many years and let it pile up.

Hopefully mine will be done by Wednesday...evidentially there is a fly-in down in Kentucky this weekend.

The only thing found in the inspection was the brakes needing a little attention...it's a miracle!

I did have them do a bunch of elective stuff...here's hoping the bill isn't shocking! :)

There is a Beechtalk fly in, but its not next weekend.

Rough River, Ky Fly In

From May 24, 2019 (Friday)
To: May 27, 2019 (Monday)

We are planning a joint BeechTalk and Midwest Bonanza Society Fly In at Rough River State Park, in Kentucky.

It's a fun location with lots of things to do. The airport is on property and within walking distance of the lodge and cottages. The property is located about 30 miles east of Owensboro, KY, airport ID is 2I3.

This has been a Midwest Bonanza Society event for over 25 years. For BeechTalkers that are not MBS members, when you sign up for this event, it will include a MBS membership for a year!

Also, this is a 3 day event over the Memorial Day weekend, so reservations will not last too long. You can always sign up and cancel if plans change.

:yeahthat:

These things age, and they need attention to stay safely airworthy. One can either do a little bit on a continuous basis, or brag they've never had an expensive annual for many years and let it pile up.

That sounds like my tune, but I never once have said, no, defer that to anything more than a comfort item. ..... I am a if its broke, fix it kinda guy. I suspect my last AP was of the, if its still attached, leave it alone mindset.

Last edited:
..... I am a if its broke, fix it kinda guy. I suspect my last AP was of the, if its still attached, leave it alone mindset.
I'm a "If it ain't broke, don't fix until it is" kinda guy.

Back