Portable O2 and ditching in the water

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
Scenario: I'm flying across the Gulf to save time to Miami in my RV6, and the engine quits. I end up upside down, so I can't open the canopy until the water seeps in to equalize the pressure. The escape hammer will reduce the time for that.

Meanwhile, I do have supplemental O2. Can I move the cannula from my nose to my mouth to breathe off it while waiting to escape?

I think I would remove the cannula during prep for egress on the way done so as not to get tangled in the dark and wet and panic that will set in. The dilbert-dunker only looks fun until you put on the black out goggles and they spin you around a few times before you get in. They don't use the DD anymore but the helo-dunker is just as fun but with other people fighting for the same exit.

How the F did you end up wrong side down? If the sea states are going to be that bad, going over water was a mistake anyways.

Anyway, the cannula is off and stowed below 10k, and I’d consider unlatching the canopy before water contact.

Mine is a tip-up. So, unlatching early could cause different issues. Also, I do not have a front hinge pull handle.

Sure, optimistically it would be calm water and I could "land" [or is that water] it slowly enough to not have the mains and nosewheel flip it over.

The scenario is designed for the question of portable O2 use as emergency SCUBA.

Mine is a tip-up. So, unlatching early could cause different issues. Also, I do not have a front hinge pull handle.

Sure, optimistically it would be calm water and I could "land" [or is that water] it slowly enough to not have the mains and nosewheel flip it over.

The scenario is designed for the question of portable O2 use as emergency SCUBA.

It’s theoretically possible. If you’re SCUBA certified, you should have done a regulator malfunction drill where you ‘sip’ the unregulated air.

Same concept, except I’d be leery of the volume being delivered through the cannula being enough to be helpful.

If the canopy is closed, it won’t be water tight, but it’ll be pretty close. Unbuckle, take a couple of deep breaths, break the window, clear the plane, start slowly releasing bubbles and follow them to the surface.

The key is not getting wrapped up in seat belts, cords, etc., so you take the time to secure all that stuff on the way down to make clearing the plane easier to do.

ETA: is also be wearing a manually inflatable LPU; that thing going off as soon as the water hits it could prevent escape.

Scenario: I'm flying across the Gulf to save time to Miami in my RV6, and the engine quits. I end up upside down, so I can't open the canopy until the water seeps in to equalize the pressure. The escape hammer will reduce the time for that.

Meanwhile, I do have supplemental O2. Can I move the cannula from my nose to my mouth to breathe off it while waiting to escape?
No way, everyone will know you're a booger eater.

No way, won't move enough volume. Your gonna die.

The issue is getting rid of CO2. You can exhale as gently as you want but you’ll still loose the the low volume O2 along with the CO2. Like Unit said you’re fighting a volume problem. If you had let’s say a pressure demand system then it would help.

Emergency sipping from a SCUBA system relies on the fact it’s pouring a metric ton of 02 at a high pressure into the environment.

Think if I were going over water, I'd have one of the little mini SCUBA tanks..

Id just make sure the O2 bottle is well-secured so it doesn’t knock you out during the ditching attempt. I wouldn’t even bother with trying to use low-volume O2 for purposes of escaping. Take some deep breaths and get out ASAP.

If I thought I'd need something for underwater egress I'd carry a HEEDS bottle filled with air long before I'd consider breathing O2 underwater with no control over depth.

Nauga,
and a CNS hit

You would do better getting a SCUBA pony bottle if this is your concern. It's built to provide breathable air for several minutes. A 4cu ft bottle should last about 2 minutes at 30', but near the surface would be good for 3-4 minutes.

You would do better getting a SCUBA pony bottle if this is your concern.
Yeah, there are definitely some options at the dive shop. A "Spare Air" dive bottle looks a lot like a HEEDS bottle. I've never dived with a Spare Air but I've trained with HEEDs and the occasional pony and they're smaller and lighter than what I think of as a pony with 1st and 2nd stage regs and associated hose.

Regardless of your choice, air is far safer than O2 if you're bailing out underwater.

Nauga,
pinkie up

Give up on your religious vows and get yourself an iPad. ;)
Load it with Foreflight. :D
Use this to avoid getting into that situation in the first place.

P.S. A Ram mount is also handy. :cool:

I have bought a HEED3 bottle to prepare for this scenario. It straps on to my Switlik X-back life-vest.

Has anyone mentioned a HEED3 device yet? They're like 'chutes. Cheap only after you need one.

Back