G1000 ADSB extended squitter anyone?

JustinD

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JustinD
I am getting ADSB installed this year at my annual, the plan right and schedule now is the GTX345. Recently I've been looking into it a bit more and spoke with garmin directly and apparently updating your existing GTX33 transponder to ES (extended squitter) to comply with ADSB Out is an option. However I have yet to hear of anyone actually doing this and keep just hearing how its a possibility.

Have any of you with a G1000 done this method to become ADSB compliant? If so what was your experience with it?

Thanks!

Personally, I’d do the 345R assuming you’ll get ADS-B in and out doing so. My understanding is that this will depend on the manufacturer (Cessna in this case I assume) and what the G1000 software specific to your application allows.

A friend of mine recently acquired a Malibu with a G1000 and was factory equipped with a 33ES transponder to comply with the ADS-B mandate. It works, but all we get is ADS-B out compliance, plus traffic in. You won’t get any of the other ADS-B in advantages with this solution, such as weather if you go this route.

I think it depends on what the manufacturer of your airplane supports. The G1000 is essentially part of the airplane's type certificate, so any software upgrades have to be approved by them, including the ones that would talk to whichever LRU you choose. In a Diamond, only the 345 is approved.

I would suggest checking with your type club.

@flyingcheesehead when I spoke with them I was told the ES was a possibility on this airplane. I'm just trying to see if anyone has experience actually doing it.

@mondtster I am leaning toward the 345, although I already receive weather and several of the other benefits just through other things, it seems like the 345 is better resale option in the future and some of the features would be nice, just exploring all possibilities, especially considering the overall cost of the 345 unit w/install

@gacoon my G1000 is WAAS equipped as is from the factory

thanks all for the feedback!

@flyingcheesehead when I spoke with them I was told the ES was a possibility on this airplane. I'm just trying to see if anyone has experience actually doing it.

@mondtster I am leaning toward the 345, although I already receive weather and several of the other benefits just through other things, it seems like the 345 is better resale option in the future and some of the features would be nice, just exploring all possibilities, especially considering the overall cost of the 345 unit w/install

@gacoon my G1000 is WAAS equipped as is from the factory

Ah, I see. It seems like most of the people asking this question are on the pre-WAAS G1000s, which it seems to be harder to get the factories to support.

I'm also kinda surprised that you have WAAS but not ES. I can't really remember for sure now when the ES versions came out, but I thought it was at the same time as the WAAS G1000.

We (flying club) did have our R182's GTX330 upgraded - The panel mount version vs. the remote LRU version you have. Avionics shop popped it out and sent it to Garmin for the upgrade, then popped it back in a few days later when it came back. I believe there are some minor reconfigurations but no rewiring. YMMV.

We also put the GTX345R in our DA40 with non-WAAS G1000. That was about $9K with the built-in WAAS GPS (and new antenna). It sends TIS-B traffic to the G1000 MFD, but weather is not supported on the G1000 because of the aforementioned difficulty in getting the OEM to approve a software update for the older non-WAAS models - We still have version 0321.22 which is nearly 10 years old. :( At least we still have onboard weather thanks to the GDL69A, and the GTX 345R still sends weather to portable devices, albeit somewhat poorly because the LRU is in the tail of the aircraft and Bluetooth isn't really designed to have much range. I wish Garmin would have gone with WiFi for all of their Connext stuff, it's much easier to deal with than Bluetooth (no pairing, better range, etc).

Anyway... That's a few thoughts, hope it helps.

Back