Great family news!

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
A few months back I mentioned in another thread that my "baby" brother (64 yrs old) had pancreatic cancer. It was not diagnosed early. Symptoms like back pain, head aches, indigestion, diarrhea, and even jaundice finally led to an MRI that found it.

He has been undergoing chemo therapy since November trying to shrink the cancer enough to operate. They would administer a 6 week regimen, then another MRI. Then another 6 weeks chemo, then another MRI, until the last MRI. They did the surgery today. Removed part of the pancreas, stomach, duodenum and various other pieces. Almost 7 hours of surgery.

We just got word that the surgery couldn't have gone better. They got the whole tumor and he is off to a regular room instead of the ICU they had reserved.

I don't mind admitting that I am typing this through tears.

I remember some strong advice from this board to NEVER NEVER allow them to do chemo therapy. PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE, do NOT listen to that advice.

Very glad to hear it's worked so well for your brother!

Great news. Cancer treatments are advancing at an extremely fast pace. Chemo may be awful to deal with, but it works.

Excellent news! Glad to hear this.

Great news!

Have cancer in my family too, that is always wonderful news

Last edited:
Thanks for all the "likes" and all the kind words.

As for the chemo, it made him a little sleepy and groggy, but he never had serious side effects. And he never lost what little hair he had left.

@1RTK1 , I hope your family member does well. I think a good attitude and family support is important. My brother never lost his confidence even though pancreatic cancer has among the worst average out comes. New treatments and methodology are improving the outlook every day.

Was it called a Whipple procedure or a Hemicorporectomy?
Not sure if it was the former, but I'll ask him at a later date. That was what it sounded like.

I'm quite sure it wasn't the latter. :yikes:

Great news.... Dad was a Stage 1 liver cancer survivor. Attitude is definitely a huge factor in treatment.

Glad to hear that! My uncle passed from pancreatic, and it's maybe the least forgiving cancer out there. Glad to hear a success story!

John, I couldn't be happier. This is great, and I'm glad you shared the news with us.

Not to take all the credit or anything, because I'm sure the docs contributed....but that long prayer I said....you owe me. I'll settle for a Coke Zero and burger. Don't think I'm not heading down to collect one day. We'll fight over politics face to face.

A few months back I mentioned in another thread that my "baby" brother (64 yrs old) had pancreatic cancer. It was not diagnosed early. Symptoms like back pain, head aches, indigestion, diarrhea, and even jaundice finally led to an MRI that found it.

He has been undergoing chemo therapy since November trying to shrink the cancer enough to operate. They would administer a 6 week regimen, then another MRI. Then another 6 weeks chemo, then another MRI, until the last MRI. They did the surgery today. Removed part of the pancreas, stomach, duodenum and various other pieces. Almost 7 hours of surgery.

We just got word that the surgery couldn't have gone better. They got the whole tumor and he is off to a regular room instead of the ICU they had reserved.

I don't mind admitting that I am typing this through tears.

I remember some strong advice from this board to NEVER NEVER allow them to do chemo therapy. PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE, do NOT listen to that advice.
Godspeed to your brother. And anyone who takes advice from an unrelated internet forum vs. expert medical advice, well...

Back