Well it was a good (almost) 10 years.

I guess I'll be one of the few dissenting voices speaking up in defense of EdFred, even though I'm a relative newcomer to this forum. An expectation of privacy, and to not have your day-to-day activities monitored by a governmental body, does not necessarily indicate fear of being "caught" doing something wrong.. it just means you have an expectation of privacy and do not wish to be monitored by a government. Parents monitor their children for their children's safety and to help the parents stay abreast of what their children are doing so that the parents can continue to help shape and form their children's behavoir and skills so that they grow into productive, responsible, kind human beings. By the time we become responsible adults, many of us no longer wish to be monitored, as we ARE productive, responsible adults who now have a right to live private lives. There is nothing nefarious about it. It's just insulting to some of us that we are constantly being "overseen" by a governing body. Yes, I've nothing to hide, and the vast majority of us will probably never experience a real-world example of harm coming to us personally because of government surveillance or overreach, but that doesn't mean we should continue to give up increasing amounts of our privacy and freedom to move about without being tracked. It's not paranoia in the least.

I don’t think anyone is disagreeing with that. Most are simply saying we’re not willing to give up flying to keep that level of privacy. That’s IF that’s even the real reason, it’s probably just edicus fredicus stirring the hornets nest because, well,quite honestly that’s fun sometimes.

I guess I'll be one of the few dissenting voices speaking up in defense of EdFred, even though I'm a relative newcomer to this forum. An expectation of privacy, and to not have your day-to-day activities monitored by a governmental body, does not necessarily indicate fear of being "caught" doing something wrong..
According to Ed, he doesn't have a problem with the government monitoring his flights.
...I really don't care about the FAA knowing...
His problem is that I can see where he's flying. Because apparently I've got nothing better to do than figure out where Ed's flying all day.

According to Ed, he doesn't have a problem with the government monitoring his flights.
His problem is that I can see where he's flying. Because apparently I've got nothing better to do than figure out where Ed's flying all day.
Here's another angle that might help illuminate Ed's, and to a certain degree my, perspective. I';ve had the image of my house blurred out on Google Earth or whatever it is probably three or four times now... every couple years, they keep putting a new picture back up, and I have to contact them and request that they blur it out again. I've written to them expressing the fact that they don't have my permission to publish pictures of my private property, to which they respond that anyone is able to walk past my house and view it, therefore it is not private. They are correct...however, the issue is that the world's population of 7.7 billion people don't walk past my house whenever they wish to, but anyone with an internet connection can view my house with NO effort and anonymously from anywhere in the world. When the rare person does walk by my house, I can see THEM. I chose to live in a remote area simply because I like the remoteness; if I wanted people to be able to easily view my property, I would live in a populated area. Nowadays, the entire smart-phone-owning populace thinks they have the right to take your picture and post it up for the globe to see. Personally, I don't like that and view it as offensive. We used to take pictures of our loved ones and beautiful places, and share them with specific people. Now, folks take pictures of total strangers and mock them in front of the entire world.

I know.. no one's getting mocked by having the ADS-b data posted on FlightAware. Yet. I'm hoping that the allegorical situation in the preceeding paragraph at least helps illuminate the way some of us feel about the issue somewhat. Cheers.

Speaking of all of this governmental spying rhetoric, where has @James331 been?

You doing okay bud?

Paranoia is a common thing in these parts. I know quite a few who are armed to the teeth because they're pretty sure bad hombre's or the gub'ment or both are going to come storming through their door hell bent on killing them for sport at any moment. Not sure what causes it but I see it a lot. I think its something in the water.
Honest question. Would you prefer those people not exist?

My personal opinion...they don't cause any harm...and there might come a day where you want those people around.

Who said it was a problem? If you wanted to spray paint all your possessions bright orange so the moon men couldn't see them I wouldn't have a 'problem' with it. But I also wouldn't agree with it or necessarily understand it and as such, I might ask you about it. So what's wrong with asking about it?

For the guy who said he didn't have a problem with Ed's (and other's) personal choice on travel privacy, it sure seems like you are coming very close to linking that desire to preppers and paranoia, or at least mocking him because he doesn't want to grant you and the rest of society fingertip access to his whereabouts at any given time. Just saying... :confused:

He's said he doesn't have a problem with the gub'ment knowing where he lives or when he's flying. What he has a problem with is me knowing where he lives and when he's flying. Obviously I can't be trusted enough to have access to that kind of info.

Paranoia is a common thing in these parts. I know quite a few who are armed to the teeth because they're pretty sure bad hombre's or the gub'ment or both are going to come storming through their door hell bent on killing them for sport at any moment. Not sure what causes it but I see it a lot. I think its something in the water.

I don’t buy the whole story...I feel It is a little late in the game to begin worrying about being viewed on Flightaware....who cares ? I am a newbie, bored out of my skull while recovering from surgery, so I read posts on POA a lot....too much like an old soap opera at times.

Also, it's the airplane that's going somewhere. Who can tell if you are in it? Flightaware doesn't have the passenger manifest. Just post on FB or Twitter you have 10 partners sharing the plane and now Joe Knucklehead will have a harder time figuring out if you're at home or with the plane. :)

...Just post on FB or Twitter you have 10 partners sharing the plane and now Joe Knucklehead will have a harder time figuring out if you're at home or with the plane. :)

You'd have to have a FarceBook or Twitter account to do that.. ;)

And by the way, not to call the pot or the kettle black, I do take note that you don't post with your real name, address, and personal profile here...

So are all of the people who click the ‘follow’ button stalkers?

:D

FB7966BC-7687-4B1D-9E16-13707A1C04EC.jpeg

Speaking of all of this governmental spying rhetoric, where has @James331 been?

You doing okay bud?

That’s a good point. We have a couple of active threads about cities in California. Threads about professional flying that don’t mention Alaska. Threads about privacy. Where the hell is he???

And by the way, not to call the pot or the kettle black, I do take note that you don't post with your real name, address, and personal profile here...
I pretty much always keep my forum id and my real id separate. I keep my FB account hidden from all but those whom I'm directly connected with (friends and family only). It ain't about my caring about the gub'ment nor caring what people think of me or what they know about me. I keep online id private for one simple reason. People have been fired from their jobs for what they post online. Even when what they've posted has nothing to do with the company they work for. At-will employment can suck that way.

If someone wants to know where I am, goodie for them. If someone wants to look at pics of my house online, have at it. None of that carries any meaningful risk of negative impact for me. It doesn't impact me one bit in fact. Losing my job because I posted that I think a certain politician is a dodo head or because I voiced my support of certain social issues? That is something that could actually happen. So yes I keep my ID private.

I do not understand the people who live in a place where break ins are all but non-existent, where no local resident has been murdered in their home by a stranger in 100 years, and yet they keep the house locked up like fort knox at all times with multiple aggressively trained dogs for protection and an unlocked loaded gun in every room. That to me is an unrealistic paranoia. And no, I don't have a problem with it. But I also don't understand it or agree with it or consider it to be rational judgement. And no I'm not saying Ed does any other those particular things. I am saying that similar to those individuals I don't think I understand or agree with Ed's choices. Doesn't mean he shouldn't make those choices. But if he's going to start a discussion about it, I will discuss. Fair enough?

I pretty much always keep my forum id and my real id separate. I keep my FB account hidden from all but those whom I'm directly connected with (friends and family only). It ain't about my caring about the gub'ment nor caring what people think of me or what they know about me. I keep online id private for one simple reason. People have been fired from their jobs for what they post online. Even when what they've posted has nothing to do with the company they work for. At-will employment can suck that way.

If someone wants to know where I am, goodie for them. If someone wants to look at pics of my house online, have at it. None of that carries any meaningful risk of negative impact for me. It doesn't impact me one bit in fact. Losing my job because I posted that I think a certain politician is a dodo head or because I voiced my support of certain social issues? That is something that could actually happen. So yes I keep my ID private.

I do not understand the people who live in a place where break ins are all but non-existent, where no local resident has been murdered in their home by a stranger in 100 years, and yet they keep the house locked up like fort knox at all times with multiple aggressively trained dogs for protection and an unlocked loaded gun in every room. That to me is an unrealistic paranoia. And no, I don't have a problem with it. But I also don't understand it or agree with it or consider it to be rational judgement. And no I'm not saying Ed does any other those particular things. I am saying that similar to those individuals I don't think I understand or agree with Ed's choices. Doesn't mean he shouldn't make those choices. But if he's going to start a discussion about it, I will discuss. Fair enough?

Sounds like the answer to your issue is to not post stupid cr@p that will get you fired.

Perhaps you have a case of unrealistic paranoia regarding how your online persona is viewed by others?

Buy a Luscombe, a Cub or an experimental with no electrical system. Stay below the B/C shelf, fly anywhere you want, just slowly. Hell, build a RV-whatever with no electrical system and fly faster.

Sounds like the answer to your issue is to not post stupid cr@p that will get you fired.

Perhaps you have a case of unrealistic paranoia regarding how your online persona is viewed by others?
It doesn’t have to be stupid crap anymore. It can just be a political opinion that differs from the accepted version of truth where you work.

Dang, 5 pages of people bickering becasuse someone decided to sell his plane over a reason he beleives in. Amazing..How many more pages will it go?? Ill say at least 5 more...

It doesn’t have to be stupid crap anymore. It can just be a political opinion that differs from the accepted version of truth where you work.

I know that. ;)

It was just another straw man to take on the one that was constructed to mock EdFred.

Also. Imagine that some miscreant decides to rob my house while I'm away flying and my daughter perforates him with her AR. Is Flightradar24 liable for his funeral expenses?

What are you going to do with all that extra money that will not be leaving your checking account now?

He should buy tin foil and lots of it.. :D

Iain-Alexander-Ing_3337616b.jpg

Also. Imagine that some miscreant decides to rob my house while I'm away flying and my daughter perforates him with her AR. Is Flightradar24 liable for his funeral expenses?

Before I answer yes or no, does FR24 carry millions in liability insurance in this scenario?

You do know that you can maintain some anonymity towards the casual observer by owning the plane through a trust or LLC ? Your nosy hobbyist would see 'Wells Fargo Bank N.A. SLC Trustee'.

Oh, that would be terrific if all the junk mail I receive from brokers (offering to sell my airplane) would go to Wells Fargo instead.

Oh, that would be terrific if all the junk mail I receive from brokers (offering to sell my airplane) would go to Wells Fargo instead.

It does. And the trustee sends you a big envelope once a month with all the mail in it.

...Canada gets overflown. 1090 required there...

Utterly and completely untrue. Someday maybe. Not imminent at this time.

I suppose moving farther from the northern border was not considered?

Unnecessary, if the above was genuinely one of the reasons given.

...I don't do facebook, twitter, etc.. Other than this, I almost don't exist...

I don't have onstar, can leave my phone at home, and I don't live in a subdivision.

Well I can sure identify with this! This forum, and my email and phone, are about as close as I get to social media or being tracked. Someday the phone will go; permanently. The rest (Facebook et al) I regard as an incredible invasion of privacy. I try to keep the "location" function on my phone and iPad off as much as possible, and I deliberately live in a place where the road in front of my house is private so Google can't drive their silly van down it and post pictures of it for everyone with a web connection to see.

Not ready to dump my plane quite yet. But will admit part of my motivation to buy the Husky (which will NEVER have ADS-B installed) was to test the optionality of "dropping off the radar" if I reach the same point EF did.

EdFred, I fully understand, and sympathize.

I am hurt beyond belief I tell ya, when I sold my Arrow four years ago there was no where near the commotion/attention as there has been over Ed's purported sale. As a matter of fact you could probably fit the whole thread in one of the long winded posts I just read. I think I will go drown my sorrow in a box of Frosted Flakes, you know where you run out of flakes but have milk left over so you add flakes, then you see that you have flakes but not enough milk so you add milk and the saga continues. I am hoping for a few likes to boost my ego. Likes from 6PC count as two by the way, he is the sarcasm god.

I am hurt beyond belief I tell ya, when I sold my Arrow four years ago there was no where near the commotion/attention as there has been over Ed's purported sale. As a matter of fact you could probably fit the whole thread in one of the lonwg winded posts I just read. I think I will go drown my sorrow in a box of Frosted Flakes, you know where you run out of flakes but have milk left over so you add flakes, then you see that you have flakes but not enough milk so you add milk and the saga continues. I am hoping for a few likes to boost my ego. Likes from 6PC count as two by the way, he is the sarcasm god.

Yeah, but you didn’t sell your Arrow because of the ads-b requirement or the perceived shortage of tin foil!

Last edited:
That thought was rattling around in my cranial cavity but I dina let it out

You are a very polite soul, Tim.

I am... well... you know me well enough. ;)

Back