San Diego tips?

deyoung

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
Tips and advice for trips to San Diego, for the unfamiliar?

I'm probably looking at KMYF or KSEE, unless people advise otherwise. MYF is closer to where I'd be going by about 30 minutes' drive, but VFR only, so if coastal fog or cloud cover favors SEE significantly, that's good to know. If people know that one FBO is a lot better than another, that's good to know too.

Beyond that, other hints for working in the SOCAL airspace are welcome. I've skirted the north side of LA to Burbank a couple of times, but never flown to San Diego yet.

Thanks!

Don’t get Hepatitis..... seriously.

San Diego is pretty easy. The FBOs at MYF aren't luxurious (but Coast is building a bitchin one!). If you're flying VFR only you'll usually be cleared through Miramar Bravo no problem. I don't usually come in VFR, but when I do it's been via two routes... along the coast and turn inbound at Mt Soledad (VPSMS) or along the coast and inbound at Oceanside then over Miramar.

Not sure if KSAN is closer, but that's a great airport. Super friendly for pistons to fly into and a gorgeous approach. I miss flying in there (based at MYF now).

It's a snooze. Know where the lines and the altitudes of the Bravo are in case you don't get a clearance to go in but they're pretty liberal with it except right where arrivals and departures are at SAN and NKX. Coming from TUS it's real easy to just have to worry about being below 4800 by the time your a ways East of SEE. Once you there ask around about all the cool stuff like the Bay Tour, the Taxiway Delta transition and the Miramar transition. That's if your going to be hanging around for awhile and want to play.

I didn't really consider KSAN - it's a little farther, but not by much, but I figured I'd stay out of the way of the commercial traffic and I thought it also might be more slightly to get me stuck under low visibility. I'll be coming from the east, more or less direct from El Centro.

I miss SoCal flying.

San Diego is pretty easy as @luvflyin just be sure to note where the Bravo is, particularly just north of KMYF and west of KNKX as there are 2 section of bravo there immediately off the west departure end of NKX and out over the coast that have... I'm not really sure how to describe it. It's basically 2 different overlapping Bravo shelves with a gap between them.

It's a cinch to fly but certainly different and something to be aware of.

I'd make sure you have a TAC for KSAN; KSEE in particular likes to use the visual points west of the field as reporting points. They also have a few they like to use that aren't charted so just be prepared to tell them you're unfamiliar with the area so they give you better reference points.

KMYF doesn't get the coastal marine layer as much as you would think; they're a bit further inland and have Mount Soledad that blocks some of it. That's not to say that they dont get the marine layer at all or that you wont take off and have a marine layer out in front of you to the West that you either need to climb above or do a 180 away from but its definitely more rare to be completely socked in by the marine layer.

KSAN could be fun if you've not landed at a Bravo airport but definitely a candidate for the marine layer, more difficult to get into with only 1 runway and commercial traffic and an expensive landing fee.

My San Diego parking is Brown Field. I don’t know if you are instrument-rated or not. Sometimes Brown clears when others aren’t.

I’m not sure where in San Diego you are going, but Brown is South, near the border. Super-quiet most of the time

I fly for work out of KMYF and I hangar my airplane at KSEE. It is seriously not an issue coming from the East. Whether your destination is KSEE or KMYF, you will not have to deal with any airspace. Just make sure you are below 4800 at the Class B line about 5 miles East of KSEE. Talk to Gillespie tower for transition if continuing to KMYF. The marine layer will envelop KMYF well before KSEE. Both KMYF and KSEE are pretty busy, and both will often split the tower frequency during the busy hours. Fuel is MUCH cheaper at KSEE if you use Circle Air self serve. I would imagine ramp fees are cheaper too. The drive can be terrible going West from KSEE between 6 - 9 am, the drive East to KSEE is terrible 4 - 7pm.

Thanks for the pointers! It looks like I will probably prefer MYF but keep SEE in mind of the weather looks like it's going to be overly cloudy closer to the coast.

Thanks!

Go to Old Town Liquor... If you are a tequila connoisseur, you will be impressed.

Go to In-N-Out Burger...nuff said.

First and so far only In-N-Out burger I had was right up the road at Riverside in 2011. Worth the wait in line.

Funny thing is, when I was stationed at Miramar, I heard In-N-Out adverts on the radio all the time but I never went there. I was under the impression it was like a Sonic or something. Boy was I wrong.

First and so far only In-N-Out burger I had was right up the road at Riverside in 2011. Worth the wait in line.

Funny thing is, when I was stationed at Miramar, I heard In-N-Out adverts on the radio all the time but I never went there. I was under the impression it was like a Sonic or something. Boy was I wrong.
Pretty good eh? It’s a treat for us who live on the wrong side of the country. I could go for one right now........

Pretty good eh? It’s a treat for us who live on the wrong side of the country. I could go for one right now........

Yep. Friend flys CBP at Riverside and he took me to one. I was like, what’s the big deal, it’s like a Checkers or Sonic right? He laughed. Once I saw the line and the only seats we could get were outside, I knew there was something special about the place. Since I had never been there I just ordered what he ordered and it was good!

Yep. Friend flys CBP at Riverside and he took me to one. I was like, what’s the big deal, it’s like a Checkers or Sonic right? He laughed. Once I saw the line and the only seats we could get were outside, I knew there was something special about the place. Since I had never been there I just ordered what he ordered and it was good!

Animal Style..... Anything less is blasphemy! Closest we get is in Rockwall, TX. About 4 hours down the road from Little Rock. I stop every, single, time, I drive through. Its right next to some chicken shack in the Costco shopping center.

Eh, they're both fine. Don't try and land at the big airport if you're going into MYF(from the north Miramar and MYF are in-line). There's parking at the MYF terminal if you don't need services, looks like $7/night.(Can still get an Uber or Lyft, and the FBOs with fuel trucks will deliver there.)

Don't park at transient unless you plan on not buying gas. Gibbs will waive their ramp fee if you get gas, while the City won't.

Eh, they're both fine. Don't try and land at the big airport if you're going into MYF(from the north Miramar and MYF are in-line). There's parking at the MYF terminal if you don't need services, looks like $7/night.(Can still get an Uber or Lyft, and the FBOs with fuel trucks will deliver there.)
Tips and advice for trips to San Diego, for the unfamiliar?

I'm probably looking at KMYF or KSEE, unless people advise otherwise. MYF is closer to where I'd be going by about 30 minutes' drive, but VFR only, so if coastal fog or cloud cover favors SEE significantly, that's good to know. If people know that one FBO is a lot better than another, that's good to know too.

Beyond that, other hints for working in the SOCAL airspace are welcome. I've skirted the north side of LA to Burbank a couple of times, but never flown to San Diego yet.

Thanks!

1) Even if you aren't IFR, are you IFR equipped? If so, SoCal are really good about doing practice approaches and that will give you plenty of airspace clearance to get into MYF from the east.

2) Definitely utilize FF. Coming from the east into SEE or MYF you may well run smack into a practice area, and the radar advisories are priceless there. Also, the SoCal San Diego sectors are very good about Bravo clearances and expediting your way around, so long as you are talking and squawking. Do not be afraid of them.

3) When are you coming in? Marine layer season won't start in earnest for another few weeks, and you are still ok between the hours of about 11 and 6-7.

4) There is no question KSEE has less issues with marine layer than any of the airports, but it is more challenging to fly into and has its own challenges.

Don’t get Hepatitis..... seriously.

Maybe a year ago. It also helps to have the Hep A vaccine.

San Diego is pretty easy. The FBOs at MYF aren't luxurious (but Coast is building a bitchin one!). If you're flying VFR only you'll usually be cleared through Miramar Bravo no problem. I don't usually come in VFR, but when I do it's been via two routes... along the coast and turn inbound at Mt Soledad (VPSMS) or along the coast and inbound at Oceanside then over Miramar.

Not sure if KSAN is closer, but that's a great airport. Super friendly for pistons to fly into and a gorgeous approach. I miss flying in there (based at MYF now).

If paying $8 a gallon and whatever Signature wants to rip you off for a ramp fee for is "friendly," ok. MYF is just as easy to basically anywhere as SAN, so meh.

I didn't really consider KSAN - it's a little farther, but not by much, but I figured I'd stay out of the way of the commercial traffic and I thought it also might be more slightly to get me stuck under low visibility. I'll be coming from the east, more or less direct from El Centro.

KSAN usually loses the marine layer a little in the day after KMYF does, but may stay clear later into the night, so it is a trade off. Before I had my instrument rating, I did almost go to KSAN a couple times in the late afternoon when KMYF was getting covered, and KSAN was still clear, though I found holes both times.

I've had great luck at Gibbs at Montgomery Field. If you need a car, let them handle it as it would be tough to find a better deal. As the others have said, SOCAL approach is easy to work with. I can almost guarantee that you will get vectored for a right base to runway 28R.

The Gibbs folks are great, as are the controllers at SoCal.

I fly for work out of KMYF and I hangar my airplane at KSEE. It is seriously not an issue coming from the East. Whether your destination is KSEE or KMYF, you will not have to deal with any airspace. Just make sure you are below 4800 at the Class B line about 5 miles East of KSEE. Talk to Gillespie tower for transition if continuing to KMYF. The marine layer will envelop KMYF well before KSEE. Both KMYF and KSEE are pretty busy, and both will often split the tower frequency during the busy hours. Fuel is MUCH cheaper at KSEE if you use Circle Air self serve. I would imagine ramp fees are cheaper too. The drive can be terrible going West from KSEE between 6 - 9 am, the drive East to KSEE is terrible 4 - 7pm.

Fuel is not MUCH cheaper at KSEE, and the difference in Uber costs will eat it up.

In-N-out... Pffffft.

Whataburger.

Oh wait... Do they have those in the DPRC?

Yeah, good thing we're such communists, so the rest of the country can spend our money.

Anyway, Whataburger failed in California due to California's capitalistic choice of not going to inferior burger joints like Whataburger.

If paying $8 a gallon and whatever Signature wants to rip you off for a ramp fee for is "friendly," ok. MYF is just as easy to basically anywhere as SAN, so meh.

The first time I flew down here I flew into MYF. Stayed at Gibbs. Horrible.
They didn't make the rental car reservation for us (even though the email confirmed they did). Headache #1.
They didn't complete the fuel order prior to our departure, meaning we had to wait quite a while until they got to us on their rounds. Headache #2.
Their FBO smelled like bleach so the fam had to wait outside. Headache #3 (a literal headache)

There after I always flew into SAN until we moved here.

Signature always had our rental car waiting. Signature always loaded up the bags from the plane and into the car. Signature always had treats for the dog. Signature always had the plane ready for departure. Signature always had nice clean bathrooms, friendly staff, coffee for me and hot chocolate for the kids.

I guess I'm the sort that doesn't care about higher fuel cost if the quality of service is there. Time, convenience, and service are worth the extra few bucks for gas.

Then again, I always choose what's most convenient, like KPHX, KLAS, etc. Time and convenience are worth an extra $150 to me.

4) There is no question KSEE has less issues with marine layer than any of the airports, but it is more challenging to fly into and has its own challenges.

I would not consider VFR in to KSEE challenging at all. From the East, where he is coming from, it is straight in to a 5300' x 100' runway. No airspace, no reporting points, about as easy as it gets.

Fuel is not MUCH cheaper at KSEE, and the difference in Uber costs will eat it up.

$4.25 at KSEE vs $5.49 at KMYF. $1.24 per gallon can mean a lot, depends on how much you are going to take. I'm not sure about overnight fees, but I would imagine KMYF is higher there too. I don't know where deyoung's final destination is, or his transportation needs, so he can decide what is best given that information.

Another tip is to watch the wind speeds and turbulence crossing near Mt Laguna. I occasionally see winds up to 50 knots at 8,500'. The turbulence can get pretty bad too, especially when the Santa Anas are blowing from the North. I've had sustained updrafts and downdrafts on the East Side of the mountains in excess of 1500' / min.

Last edited:
Go to In-N-Out Burger...nuff said.
I don't get it. I eat there occasionally but its nothing special. I've had better burgers before and in n out offers nothing magical. It's not bad(except for the French fries, those are the worst in the industry) but its not better that anything else I eat.

I don't get it. I eat there occasionally but its nothing special. I've had better burgers before and in n out offers nothing magical. It's not bad(except for the French fries, those are the worst in the industry) but its not better that anything else I eat.
I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

They’re consistently in the top......
But what makes them better than 5 guys, whataburger or shake shack? To me they are all decent and nothing about in n out really stands out. Its hamburger meat on bread and cheese. I don't think they offer something other than brand recognition. Everyone liked Beats headphones but there wasn't anything great about them other than professional athletes wearing them on TV making people feel the hype.

But what makes them better than 5 guys, whataburger or shake shack? To me they are all decent and nothing about in n out really stands out. Its hamburger meat on bread and cheese. I don't think they offer something other than brand recognition. Everyone liked Beats headphones but there wasn't anything great about them other than professional athletes wearing them on TV making people feel the hype.
I’ve had Shake Shack, 5 Guys etc., and I would still choose In N Out without question. I don’t think there’s any one specific thing. Restaurant atmosphere, food presentation, burger taste and uniqueness, and the fries are some of the best I’ve ever had.

I suppose it’s all preference, but I would say that not liking In N Out would put you in the minority.

Well 5 guys and Whataburger are known for quality burgers as well so I’m not gonna say they’re better. Actually never even been to those two. But having hit the usual burger chains, to me the food and In and Out just tastes like a gourmet burger. It tastes fresh, not like something that was frozen, cooked and then placed under a heat lamp. Fries were fresh and had a good flavor. My understanding is they cut the fries from potatoes right there at the restaurant.

Now, would I wait hours in line for a burger there? Oh, **** no!

My understanding is they cut the fries from potatoes right there at the restaurant
Yup they do. Waiting on my order one time, I observed the employees in the back grabbing potato’s and putting them under a slicer before tossing them into the deep fryer...all by hand.

It checks out!

I suppose it’s all preference, but I would say that not liking In N Out would put you in the minority.

I definite don't dislike it. Everytime I eat it I'm a bit disappointed though. It never lives up to the hype I expect when I walk through the doors. The fries seem to always get cold quickly and asking them to make them actually crispy seems like you're asking them for something they should be doing anyway. I like the fact you can really get creative there but I think having topping options like you get at 5 guys makes that place stand out to me. I prefer Bill's Burger and Bar but there aren't very many locations so it's hard to put them on the same list.

I definite don't dislike it. Everytime I eat it I'm a bit disappointed though. It never lives up to the hype I expect when I walk through the doors. The fries seem to always get cold quickly and asking them to make them actually crispy seems like you're asking them for something they should be doing anyway. I like the fact you can really get creative there but I think having topping options like you get at 5 guys makes that place stand out to me. I prefer Bill's Burger and Bar but there aren't very many locations so it's hard to put them on the same list.
Yeah, I mean a big part of it probably is the hype, but I’ve got a soft spot for their burgers and fries. The way they toast the bun and use that special sauce just does it for me.

Forget burgers, you can get those anywhere. Instead, try Chopstix on Convoy street. They've been in business since the mid 80's, there's always a line (it moves fast though) and it's always inexpensive and delicious.

link: https://www.yelp.com/biz/chopstix-san-diego

I would not consider VFR in to KSEE challenging at all. From the East, where he is coming from, it is straight in to a 5300' x 100' runway. No airspace, no reporting points, about as easy as it gets.

That does sound pretty straightforward....

$4.25 at KSEE vs $5.49 at KMYF. $1.24 per gallon can mean a lot, depends on how much you are going to take. I'm not sure about overnight fees, but I would imagine KMYF is higher there too. I don't know where deyoung's final destination is, or his transportation needs, so he can decide what is best given that information.

We would be mostly around Kensington and Mira Mesa, and possibly somewhere along the beach depending on the details of the day. We would need a rental car, and possibly two, again depending on details. A friend's daughter lives in Kensington and just had a baby, so the idea would be to fly them out to visit/help out from time to time, and while they're doing that my wife and I might spend a couple of days at the beach or hiking or generally being lazy. All tentative so far, but just scoping out the options.

I'd probably pick up around 40 gallons, so $1.25 difference makes $50 or so. That's a decent dinner somewhere... :)

1) Even if you aren't IFR, are you IFR equipped? If so, SoCal are really good about doing practice approaches and that will give you plenty of airspace clearance to get into MYF from the east.
What "airspace clearance" are you referring to?

Gibbs waives ramp with fuel purchase. City charges $10 a night.

The first time I flew down here I flew into MYF. Stayed at Gibbs. Horrible.

Yeah, that's not the experience of most I know, and certainly not my experience dealing with them daily.

SEE has Rattlesnake Mountain, lots of other terrain and significantly more issues with turbulent weather, not to mention taxi issues for unfamiliar pilots. I'm not a fan of the place.

The price change at MYF was recent. I was paying $4.79 very recently. $4.25 at SEE isn't getting you any ramp fee waived either - there goes your price difference.

What "airspace clearance" are you referring to?

On a practice approach, SoCal is clearing you through or keeping you away from all the airspace you are travelling though. No need to worry about Bravo, Delta, whatever.

Back