A doggone shame

Who knows whether the NTSB report is correct or not since it's speculation. That said, I don't think it's a great idea for people to fly with their dogs in that sort of situation.

Back in the early days of Cloud Nine I did literally have dog as my copilot a few times so we could get that "one more dog" in.

After one or two times where I had a dog cause problems (keep in mind almost all my flights in those days were single pilot), I realized that was likely to result in an NTSB report given enough time. I then discontinued the practice. All dogs must be assigned to a crate and put in a crate for my flights.

This girl did escape from her cage a couple flights ago (the first escapee I've had in a long, long time), but at 10 lbs or so I wasn't too worried. She just sat on my lap for the rest of the trip:

53800042_10157117751917566_1367374096484007936_o.jpg

The late, great attorney Daniel Bernath had an incident with a large dog in his CTLS. He claimed he almost lost control of the plane when the dog interfered with the controls IIRC.

Who knows whether the NTSB report is correct or not since it's speculation. That said, I don't think it's a great idea for people to fly with their dogs in that sort of situation.

Back in the early days of Cloud Nine I did literally have dog as my copilot a few times so we could get that "one more dog" in.

After one or two times where I had a dog cause problems (keep in mind almost all my flights in those days were single pilot), I realized that was likely to result in an NTSB report given enough time. I then discontinued the practice. All dogs must be assigned to a crate and put in a crate for my flights.

This girl did escape from her cage a couple flights ago (the first escapee I've had in a long, long time), but at 10 lbs or so I wasn't too worried. She just sat on my lap for the rest of the trip:

Did you let her fly for a little?

I want that dog to go with my Lulu Jackrat terrier.

Great pic Ted.

Did you let her fly for a little?

She did put her paws on the yoke. I had to inform her that was a violation of 14 CFR Part 91 Subpart N (formerly known as the SFAR).

I want that dog to go with my Lulu Jackrat terrier.

I'm not a chihuahua person (not a small dog person at all really), and I don't often want to bring dogs home anymore, but this one... I was close to telling my wife I was bringing home another dog.

Great pic Ted.

Thanks. It's one of the "money shots" I keep in rotation.

The late, great attorney Daniel Bernath had an incident with a large dog in his CTLS. He claimed he almost lost control of the plane when the dog interfered with the controls IIRC.
Yeah, that was the flight where he was going to kill the dog with his pocket knife.

When flying with my Boys (two 70# labs) I can always tell when they change position(s) in back, pitch changes...other than that they’re very well mannered while flying...more so than when in my truck.

Out of curiosity, what do you folks who fly with your dogs do about the noise level/canine hearing issue? Not that I'd fly in my Cherokee w/ any of the German Shepherds we had over the years, but none of them liked loud noises, and one would go absolutely APE on July 4th from the fireworks in our area. I can imagine him eating my plane attempting to get out of it once the engine started.

B97DF765-AAAB-41FD-B6E4-7146AB7A075C.jpeg
Out of curiosity, what do you folks who fly with your dogs do about the noise level/canine hearing issue? Not that I'd fly in my Cherokee w/ any of the German Shepherds we had over the years, but none of them liked loud noises, and one would go absolutely APE on July 4th from the fireworks in our area. I can imagine him eating my plane attempting to get out of it once the engine started.
My Boys don’t seem bothered by the noise...I do try to keep their 4PawsAviation headsets on them, but not always successful
<and as you can see, I still can’t get my images to load to bottom of post...yeah, yeah I know it’s supposed to go where the little blue blinky thing is but, no>

There's a thought. You need to remove the side panels anyway right? :)

I have flown over 2,700 dogs and I have never put hearing protection on any of them. The only one that seemed to care was a dalmation, who barked for the entire 4 hour flight. He was also right behind my head.

I do not wish to fly a dalmation again.

When I fly PnP, the dogs are either in a crate or in a harness attached to the backseat. There's no way they can get to the front seat. But unlike Ted, who flys 10s of dogs at a time, I can only put 1 large crate in the baggage area and 2 medium or 3 small crates in the back seat. I won't even put a small crate on the front seat next to me.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was the flight where he was going to kill the dog with his pocket knife.

LOL...

I had forgotten the heroic measures he contemplated to solve the problem. He had to restrain the dog so he had a clear view of his iPad's GPS groundspeed display for the landing flare.

@fasteddie can describe that nonsense.

I always crate. I have a great dog but he's known to try to come up front and crawl into laps in the car or come up and step on buttons and things. We probably shouldn't put up with that in a car but the idea of what could happen if he did that while I was trying to land is pretty scary.

My first CFI had a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Big dog, solid muscle. He'd ride along on long flights. He'd jump in the baggage hold of the Warrior and I'd get a feel for a plane at the aft CG limit. His habit was to look out the window until a few minutes after takeoff, then circle a couple times (circle to land), then lay down and go to sleep. The sensation of the plane shifting as he walked in circles way in the back was pretty fun.

He flew with an unrestrained, 75 pound dog in the front seat of a two seat light sport plane. Apparently this was something he had done before.

I'm thinking he was lucky he didnt die earlier. I dont care how well behaved a dog is, having a 75 lb one free to move around the cabin on short final is just stupid.

This has given me a thought about taking my crazy cat flying with me...

Maybe the critter could accidentally fall out.. Yeah, that's the story! :cool:

Can we stop for a moment and acknowledge how absolutely badass that yoke is.. nice! It is like something out of the original Star Trek

It really is awesome. The newer ones have an ugly yoke.

We really lucked out with this plane. It’s a great example.

Great would not be a word I would use to describe mr Bernath. He lived in my neighborhood at the time of his death.

Out of curiosity, what do you folks who fly with your dogs do about the noise level/canine hearing issue?.

When I first started taking lessons 35 years ago I didn't have enough money to buy a headset, if I could do without so could a K-9:)
I do have tinnitus now but that was probably from all the years of shooting without protection.

Back