Alternate phonetic alphabet

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
I was in the FBO this morning grabbing a coffee and heard this over the CTAF...

"Helicopter 9 Oatmeal Mike taking off..."

I asked the FBO guy, did he just say "9 Oatmeal Mike"? "Yeah, some of those guys don't know the right way." "Not what happened there", I replied.

I'm just a big kid, but that tickled me. Anyone have a similar experience?

A- Aisle
B-Bdellium
C-Cue
D-Djembe
E-Eye
F-Phonetic

There are more but my food just arrived at the table. Maybe I'll edit it later and finish it up

A- Aisle
B-Bdellium
C-Cue
D-Djembe
E-Eye
F-Phonetic

There are more but my food just arrived at the table. Maybe I'll edit it later and finish it up

Funny, but I am guessing you never heard any of those over the radio.

Funny phonetics are used on the ham bands quite often. I knew a guy years ago whose call sign at the time was NF6S. Nuts For 6 Squirrels. Of, if he was feeling a bit nasty, Nine Five Six Seven. Another guy was WA6D. Wobbly After Six Daquiris. I would be, too. Never did come up with a good one for my call - N6TPT Yes, I know about November 6 Three Point Triangle and November 6 Toilet Paper Tester. I'm talking about a good one. :D

Now, how about the ones for remembering the resistor color code? There was one that was slightly off color and one that was very off color. I won't repeat either one here.

I googled "resistor color code mnemonic" and found at least one you may have referred to. Here IS a SFW version:

BBROYGBVGW Bad Booze Rots Our Young Guts, But Vodka Goes Well

A - Apple
B - Baffle
C - Cackle
D - Dabble

Funny, but I am guessing you never heard any of those over the radio.
When I used to fly at the Grand Canyon we would make up funny ones instead of the norms for the atis and I don't think the controllers though it was as funny as we did.

In my line of work I have to call tech support often and there’s various alpha numeric sequences we must discuss, drives me nuts the blend of the standard phonetic alaphebet they use blended with their own made up ones. Stupid Pet peeve of mine, but that ones funny.

I was in the FBO this morning grabbing a coffee and heard this over the CTAF...

"Helicopter 9 Oatmeal Mike taking off..."

I asked the FBO guy, did he just say "9 Oatmeal Mike"? "Yeah, some of those guys don't know the right way." "Not what happened there", I replied.

I'm just a big kid, but that tickled me. Anyone have a similar experience?

A Aeon
B Bdellium
C Cereal
D Djakarta
E Euphoria
F Futtock
G Gnome
H Hour
I Ian
J Jalepeño
K Knee
L Llama
M Mnemonic
N Ngami
O Oedipus
P Pneumonia
Q Quito
R Roentgen
S Sforzando
T Tchaikovsky
U Ursula
V Veldt
W Wretch
X Xylophone
Y Yclept
Z Zloty

I googled "resistor color code mnemonic" and found at least one you may have referred to. Here IS a SFW version:

BBROYGBVGW Bad Booze Rots Our Young Guts, But Vodka Goes Well

That search brought up the first one I was thinking of, but definitely not the other one. Something about Batman, Robin and Superman. I'll leave it to your imagination. :p

I flew into an airport in Florida one Thanksgiving and they had ''Report on initial contact that you have information Fudge'' on the ATIS....

There was a phonetic alphabet that preceded the ICAO one, you know... Able Baker Charlie instead of Alpha Bravo Charlie. I believe Charlie was one of only two letters that didn't change.

I have no idea what O was though. Before my time.

Back