Well it was a good (almost) 10 years.

Why do people share they bought a plane?

The statement was not about selling the plane.

The statement was about sharing why you decided to sell.

I see no reason to justify for anyone my decision to buy or sell anything. Frankly, it’s none of their business.

When I’m asked why, my general response is a vague reference to life priorities, which appears to be what your justification boils down to.

I’m not buying it, tell us the REAL reason for the sale of your plane. If you own a cell phone you have more to worry about my friend.

So, what’s the real story?

Could you please point me to a site where I can find out if someone is or is not home via their cell phone number. Or if I can find out their identity just by walking by them? Or if I can find out who they are just by seeing their license plate.

I know that there's GPS on my phone that can't be turned off, and I know that google or Apple (or my cell provider) knows where I am. But if I walk past someone in the store, they don't immediately have my name and address. I don't care if the feds see me on an ADS-B feed. I don't want anyone who might see me flying what *they* think is too low/too dangerous too whatever looking me up and going bat **** crazy for whatever reason because they have some homemade ADS-B antenna.

Last edited:
I can't help but notice Ed didn't say he sold an airplane, he said he filled out a bill of sale.

I have suspicions...
Sounds the same to me. "I didn't sell my dick for money, some lady just gave me cash and decided to ride the change out of me."

Couldn’t u just not get adsb and not fly where it’s required and therefore not get tracked?

Noticed he isn’t turning in his cell phone or stop posting on POA ( worst, he is telling us what he did,:don’t need ADSB for that).

Tom

I’m not too concerned about people knowing when I’m not at home. My wife is likely a better shot than I am on any given day. Apparently yesterday someone was taking so loud outside that she thought someone had entered the house. She had just finished clearing the house when I got home.

Could you please point me to a site where I can find out if someone is or is not home via their cell phone number. Or if I can find out their identity just by walking by them? Or if I can find out who they are just by seeing their license plate.

I know that there's GPS on my phone that can't be turned off, and I know that google or Apple (or my cell provider) knows where I am. But if I walk past someone in the store, they don't immediately have my name and address. I don't care if the feds see me on an ADS-B feed. I don't want anyone who might see me flying what *they* think is too low/too dangerous too whatever looking me up and going bat **** crazy for whatever reason because they have some homemade ADS-B antenna.
So the issue at hand is something has never happened and quite likely never would happen and you're selling your plane simply because in theory it could happen. You said its the people in the beltway that don't understand the rest of the country. I'm in Michigan and never lived anywhere near the beltway. I don't get it either.

So the issue at hand is something has never happened and quite likely never would happen and you're selling your plane simply because in theory it could happen. You said its the people in the beltway that don't understand the rest of the country. I'm in Michigan and never lived anywhere near the beltway. I don't get it either.

It HAS happened though. I've been stalked twice in my past.

If you want to find out if someone's home or not you should do it the old fashioned way.... slowly drive by their house with all your lights off and peer in the windows.

Someone wanting to enter my place has worries besides whether I'm home. More important is whether my Doberman is home.

And it would be far easier to just watch my place for a while to see me leave, rather than trying to use ADS-B Out.

I know people with family who have been stalked to the extent they won’t even tell family what state they moved to.

I know a retired police officer who thought he was being stalked by the town idiot, but in fact was being stalked by someone that nobody expected to be involved.

I just can’t imagine having the time or interest in somebody else’s life to stalk them. Way too much going on in my own life.

So, a guy doesn’t want his name, address, and current location publicly available on a clusterduck FAA “Find my iPhone” map.

Tell me why that preference is a problem with anyone but him?

So, a guy doesn’t want his name, address, and current location publicly available on a clusterduck FAA “Find my iPhone” map.

Tell me why that preference is a problem with anyone but him?
Who said it was a problem? If you wanted to spray paint all your possessions bright orange so the moon men couldn't see them I wouldn't have a 'problem' with it. But I also wouldn't agree with it or necessarily understand it and as such, I might ask you about it. So what's wrong with asking about it?

Also he started the thread and mentioned the reason. I assume no one put a gun to his head and forced him to do that. He could have given any one of a million reasons if he didn't want to discuss it. He could have not started the thread at all if he didn't want to discuss it.

Look I've had people in the past say hey I see you went somewhere on FlightAware. Well that's fine if I file but if I don't file with adsb they're going to know that I left or anybody is going to know that I left. And if I want to fly up to the cabin I don't want to have to worry about well I can't file ifr to come back because I don't have adsb. So I'm just not going to deal with a headache anymore me showing up every time I fly my plane.

People don't automatically know if I take my car for a drive. But they automatically know if I fly my plane? NO I was not going to deal with it. I can hide flights from FlightAware if I want but I can't hide flights from do it yourself hobby sites

Last edited:
This reminds me that I am going to need to let people know when I plan to get within 30 miles of the DFW Class B to visit all my North Texas friends...

I'll need to fly into those airports as /2 in formation, since I will not have ADS-B... :p:p:cool::cool::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You could have just gotten a PO Box to register your plane.

Tom

I don’t ‘think’ u can legally use a P.O. Box but I know someone who knows someone who has a second cousin who registered their plane to an LLC and used an office mailing address. That person, by the way, is one smart cookie.

You know plate readers are tracking where you drive your car. Might want to consider a bicycle instead.

Yes, but the real-time tracking by everyone in the world is not available yet for cars. It is for airplanes.

The real answer for Ed's problem is making a shell company that owns the airplane and is difficult to track down to his house. I'm sure he knew that, just wanted to get rid of the airplane, and ADS-B was as good an excuse as any.

I don’t ‘think’ u can legally use a P.O. Box but I know someone who knows someone who has a second cousin who registered their plane to an LLC and used an office mailing address. That person, by the way, is one smart cookie.
You can use a P.O. Box for the public listing, but you also have to give FAA a physical address for their records.

I know somebody who does that, who is not only a smart cookie, but also multi-talented and exceptionally good looking. :p

Mail from FAA, all the ads from aviation-related companies that data-mine the FAA registry, as well as T-A-P sample issues, etc., go to the PO box.

I get it. A certain level of paranoia is healthy.

BTW, virtually all new cars "phone home", though the data is generally not public.

It HAS happened though. I've been stalked twice in my past.
. Carrie Fisher, by chance (cue Jake and Elwood....) :D

Oh, and since I live in the DC suburbs, I think it's almost required to say "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about"
:) :D

Take the https://www.spokeo.com/ challenge! I'd venture to guess you'll be looking for buy your plane back once you figure out what they already know.....

Acting like anyone has real privacy these days is nothing more than an old man reflecting on his youth. It's long gone, but it sure seemed nice when we had it.

Guys and ladies - you can drop to a very, very low profile, with a bit of effort, if you want to. And still keep a cell phone and a Google account - it's a bit of a pain, but if it is important to you, you can prevent your phone from tracking you with any precision, and keep it from yapping about your presence to the Starbucks you just drove by, and kill your contacts list, and etc., etc. Same with Google - opt out of tracking, and a half dozen other services, and don't stay logged-in, and use a VPN from home for web work. Don't expose your real birthday, or other PII - or better yet, tell a lie about it.

Ed has a valid point - the FAA is has imposed a reckless and arbitrary mandate for which there is no technical justification - they just don't give a crap, and aren't held to any meaningful level of accountability for anything but the grossest of f*uck-ups. Kick your congressman and senator, or see if someone at AOPA is awake tomorrow and cares at all. Or we can all kick in $100 and drag it to a Federal court. If we stay away from the Nutty Ninth, might even have a chance.

But I'm not gonna organize it - going full retirement end of the year, and will buy something certified without an electrical system; will Velcro an iPad to the panel for convenience. Might buy a hand-held. Or not. . .

My point is that if someone wants to track you down, they can.

Just as a network of ADS-B out monitors have been set up to track planes, there's nothing to prevent private citizens from setting up a network of plate readers to track and follow license plates. Law enforcement does this already to find stolen vehicles, delinquent ticket payers, etc., but there's nothing to prevent you from setting up a camera and publishing what you see.
Still not a valid comparison until license plates start transmitting position and identification info.

sbimailservice.com

You can use it anywhere a physical address is required: FAA, state drivers licenses, etc

Tom

Back