Tools and over-water emergency gear for round-the-world flight

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
Interested in feedback on my plans, including placement of items on person vs in ditching bag. I've put this together through a lot of online research. The lists seem long but most items are very small and will be carefully secured in storage pockets in the aircraft or on my person.

Tools and spare parts. Some of the spares are intended for the half-way maintenance check and could probably be mailed instead of carried.
  • 14 x spark plugs (including replacements for half-way round)
  • 1 x nose tire tube
  • 1 x main tire tube
  • 1 x Leatherman Surge multi-tool
  • 1 x Phillips screwdriver
  • 1 x flathead screwdriver
  • Selection of wrenches needed for specific tasks (5/16", 2 x 3/8", 9/16", 7/8")
  • 7/8" deep socket for spark plugs
  • 3/8" drive ratchet, torque wrench, extension (spark plugs)
  • 3/32" Allen wrench for removing avionics
  • Spare oil, oil filters, safety wire, safety wire pliars
  • Spare air filter
  • 2 x small adjustable wrench (could replace some of specific wrenches covered above?)
  • Duct tape
  • Spare camloc for cowl?
Main safety gear:
  • Drysuit (for the Atlantic only, to be worn constantly)
  • Winslow Ultra Light off-shore life raft
  • Switlik X-back life-vest with back and leg straps, storage pockets, buddy strap
  • Ditching bag
Survival kit packaged with raft includes:
  • 1 Manual Inflation Pump – Spring Loaded Return w/ Adapter
  • 1 Repair Kit (Includes: Repair Tape,
  • Repair Clamp (3”) & 2 PRV Plugs w/ Tether)
  • 1 Collapsible Bailer Bucket w/ Handle
  • 2 Paddles w/Retro Reflective Segments
  • 2 Sponges
  • 1 Signal Mirror ( 2”x3”)
  • 3 USCG Aerial Meteor Flares
  • 3 USCG Hand Held Locator Flares
  • 1 Raft Knife
  • 1 Utility Knife (SS Lockback)
  • 1 Survival Manual

On person (cargo pants/shorts)/in-vest:
  • ACR Resqlink+ PLB
  • Garmin InReach satellite communicator (grabbed from dash if time allows)
  • SOG Escape folding knife with seat-belt cutter
  • Fox 40 whistle
  • Signal mirror
  • See/Rescue 6" x 25' personal rescue streamer
  • Handheld marine radio
  • Handheld airband radio
  • Mini sunscreen and lipbalm
  • Floppy hat
  • 6 x 125ml water packages
  • Boiled sweets/energy bar
  • ACR rescue strobe
  • Sea-sickness pills and Tylenol
  • Survival bag (bag made of energy blanket material)
  • Spare AA batteries for airband radio
  • 5000mAH battery pack with cable for InReach/marine radio
  • Sunglasses with strap
  • 2 x chemical light sticks
  • High intensity flashlight with spare battery
  • Small goggle/mask

In ditching bag
  • Selection of offshore flares
  • 2+ litres water
  • Electrolyte drink
  • Ration blocks/energy bars
  • Additional sea-sickness pills
  • Toilet paper
  • 10 x chemical lightsticks
  • First aid kit
  • 2 x emergency blanket
  • 4 x 1-gallon ziploc bags
  • Sunscreen

Last edited:
Interested in feedback on my plans
Is the lift raft a hard-pack or soft pack? May also consider a 50' tether from the life raft to the aircraft with a breakaway ty-wrap attached at a seat leg or something. Also prioritize the location/securing of the life raft inside the aircraft and practice it's removal from the outside/inside with the aircraft loaded. Ensure your cargo won't shift and block the raft.

Rescue whistle? Collapsible radar reflector for raft kit?

A small baggie of exterior screws.

If you can imagine a need for duct tape on your list, then an epoxy like JB weld may have a place (I like the putty types, you can mold and press into place).

Maybe some medication.

Other than that, I am nowhere in your league my friend. That’s all I can contribute.

Water filtration? Can’t do much for sea water, but if you find any other water source it can be drinkable..

Is the lift raft a hard-pack or soft pack? May also consider a 50' tether from the life raft to the aircraft with a breakaway ty-wrap attached at a seat leg or something. Also prioritize the location/securing of the life raft inside the aircraft and practice it's removal from the outside/inside with the aircraft loaded. Ensure your cargo won't shift and block the raft.

Rescue whistle? Collapsible radar reflector for raft kit?

Soft pack. Tether is a good idea!

Rescue whistle is on the personal kit list. Not sure the reflector would be useful enough to justify the space/weight...

Might add a set of jumper cables to the tools and spares list. Also a solar battery charger.

Why a dry suit instead of a wetsuit? A wetsuit will provide bouyancy with no worries about a leak. A dry suit has to be inflated, requiring an air source. If you do choose a dry suit, add a patch kit.

If you are worried about ditching, consider keeping one of these within reach.
https://www.leisurepro.com/p-sx27bo...2qpK91jsaP24sXdJSI7vf7ur-7g6p2OxoCeNgQAvD_BwE

They were originally designed for military helicopter pilots as an aid in egress after a water ditching. A few extra breaths might make all the difference in exiting a sinking plane.

Why a dry suit instead of a wetsuit? A wetsuit will provide bouyancy with no worries about a leak. A dry suit has to be inflated, requiring an air source. If you do choose a dry suit, add a patch kit.
You WILL freeze to death in a wetsuit in the North Atlantic.

Maybe add sunscreen for the raft? I think sunburn will make you miserable and it's probably just a good thing to have. Otherwise it looks comprehensive and excellent!

You WILL freeze to death in a wetsuit in the North Atlantic.

Maybe add sunscreen for the raft? I think sunburn will make you miserable and it's probably just a good thing to add.

True. You’ll freeze to death in a dry suit, too, without an air source to inflate it and thermal underwear beneath it. And even then you’ll just delay it a bit.

Sunscreen is an essential, agreed.

True. You’ll freeze to death in a dry suit, too, without an air source to inflate it and thermal underwear beneath it. And even then you’ll just delay it a bit.

Sunscreen is an essential, agreed.

I have sailed dinghies for decades using dry-suits, and never had any issue being in water through the middle of winter. Not sure what type of dry suit you're thinking of, but these don't need to be inflated, or even have any provision to do so! We're talking about this kind of thing:

orbit-twin_1.jpg

Yes, obviously the proper clothing is to be worn underneath it!

Maybe add sunscreen for the raft? I think sunburn will make you miserable and it's probably just a good thing to have.

Added! I had held off because the raft has an excellent canopy, but doesn't hurt to add a little bottle.

The "Survival kit packaged with raft" cannot be altered as it's packed inside the raft itself and I'm sure as hell not going to mess with it, so I'm adding anything else to the ditching bag.

If you are worried about ditching, consider keeping one of these within reach.
https://www.leisurepro.com/p-sx27bo...2qpK91jsaP24sXdJSI7vf7ur-7g6p2OxoCeNgQAvD_BwE

Yes, I was thinking of a similar thing (the HEEDS bottle). I'm in two minds about it, after doing the training at Survival Systems. Each time, with the exception of the blocked exit drill, I was out of the simulator in less time than it would have taken me to get the bottle out and start using it. I suppose it doesn't hurt to have it as a last resort, I'd feel pretty stupid drowning in a situation where it might have helped.

I have sailed dinghies for decades using dry-suits, and never had any issue being in water through the middle of winter. Not sure what type of dry suit you're thinking of, but these don't need to be inflated, or even have any provision to do so! We're talking about this kind of thing:

orbit-twin_1.jpg

That’ll work. I was thinking you meant this style:
https://www.diverightinscuba.com/dr...kLF9xK7oyE09AiwEBdYLqG-1S41Gq5ThoC1LAQAvD_BwE

First, in the other thread was I was only thinking warm water (eg Hawaii). So water shoes snd a lycra skin would not be relevant. Heck, even the last 3rd of you crossing to Socal could put you in some cold water.

From doing lots of scuba diving once you are in the water (assumes no raft) I really don't think that whistle or mirror is even worth it. Yeah, they are cheap and small but I would favor a wicked strong LED with flashing option. For example I use 2 × 4000 lumen LED video lights. They are 120deg so maybe a bit too wide angle but I have no doubt I'd be seen day or night. I'd bring one light kinda like that which is also perfect for ground night use through oit your trip. Plus, if you were to get attscked at night they will temporarily blind them immediately. Then one smaller LED.

I would definitely bring small swimmers googles or a very low profile mask. You might not need it for the initial egress but would be very handy to go back for more, heavy waves, rain etc. Heck you could flip them upside down and catch/drink rainwater. Could be very handy to see what's below you too!

Finally, I'm sticking with my other suggestion...very large trash bags, just 2, all folded up. They make a bigger item to spot, you could illuminate them and a host of other things.

I would research reducing to just one handheld radio on your person. I would think all airborne water rescue would have the marine radio onboard? Have the aviation handled in your quick grab bag, but have the marine radio directly on you....unless someone can confirm aircraft like CG don't have marine radios on board.

And wristwatch, maybe with built in timer. Definitely not a smart watch LOL.

Soft pack. Tether is a good idea!

Rescue whistle is on the personal kit list. Not sure the reflector would be useful enough to justify the space/weight...
Roll of aluminum foil - lightweight and can be used to create a radar target. And tylenol.

Regarding the signaling equipment, I know they make a green laser signal device designed to be used at night (can also be used during the day). Something to consider.

How are you doing all the customs and overflight arrangements?

How are you doing all the customs and overflight arrangements?

The ones that need them (only a few countries in the Middle East and Asia), I'm using my friends at flight planning service GASE, same as for several previous flights.

Are the portable radios waterproof? If not they need to be in waterproof containers. Same for any other survival gear that shouldn't get wet.

Are the portable radios waterproof? If not they need to be in waterproof containers. Same for any other survival gear that shouldn't get wet.
They are, but good call. Anything that needs it will be in ziploc bags or similar.

You'll need a 1 inch wrench for the oil filter. Take a 6-in-1 screw driver instead of separate screw drivers. Think about a 1/4 inch socket set instead of individual small wrenches.

orbit-twin_1.jpg

Um, I'd suggest bringing your hands and your head as well.

I would exchange the rescue streamer for a couple of Orion green fluorescent dye markers. They are clearly a superior method of signaling.

A two pack is less than $20.

I would exchange the rescue streamer for a couple of Orion green fluorescent dye markers. They are clearly a superior method of signaling.

Everything I've read, including from Doug Ritter, says the opposite. Haven't found anyone with anything good to say about the sea dye.

You might bring a lawyer. Sharks will leave you alone as a professional courtesy. And if the ditching proves fatal, at least then it wouldn't be as much of a tragedy.....

Getting all this stuff out of the aircraft in the water, not very likely.

Unless you have a sit down toilet in the raft, or can stay dry while you squat, not sure toilet paper will be of any practical benefit. Maybe some reinforced paper towels or wipes instead? But that will take up space.

Everything I've read, including from Doug Ritter, says the opposite. Haven't found anyone with anything good to say about the sea dye.

The entire offshore sailing community (that as a group has orders of magnitude more experience finding people offshore than the aviation community) would tell whoever this Doug Ritter character is that he has no idea what he's talking about. To leave behind effective signaling means that weigh nearly nothing is senseless.
deep-water-environmental-survival-training-dwest-students-release-green-sea-f2e79a-640.jpg

The entire offshore sailing community (that as a group has orders of magnitude more experience finding people offshore than the aviation community) would tell whoever this Doug Ritter character is that he has no idea what he's talking about. To leave behind effective signaling means that weigh nearly nothing is senseless.
deep-water-environmental-survival-training-dwest-students-release-green-sea-f2e79a-640.jpg

The dye covers a much larger area. It's a heckuva lot more visible than using a 6" X 25' streamer. An aircrew could spot the dye from miles away.

Here's a comparison, and the raft in the first photo is trailing a 100' long streamer. I know which one I would choose.

I would also consider packing a sea anchor. It will limit drift from the last reported location, and keep the raft closer to a dye marker.

vd1_3012.jpg

vd1_3050.jpg

Last edited:
Unless you have a sit down toilet in the raft, or can stay dry while you squat, not sure toilet paper will be of any practical benefit. Maybe some reinforced paper towels or wipes instead? But that will take up space.
Have you ever tried to take a crap while wearing a poopy suit.
When you are in cold water, you'll sh-t your self just for the warm feeling.

Haven't found anyone with anything good to say about the sea dye
To each their own. But when I flew offshore on a regular basis I carried my own supply of sea dye in my vest and tool box. It may not work as good in a sea state 6 environment but I for its weight and effect I'd have that stuff in every bag on board.

Back