Should I upgrade my Aspen?

Hunt-man

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Hunt-man
I have a 2009 Aspen PFD1000. It works fine but I'm considering the $2995.00 upgrade to the Evolution 1000 PRO MAX PFD
https://aspenavionics.com/products/general-aviation/efd-1000-pro-max

Two reasons: Back up AHRS if the pitot static fails, I hate that my current unit will red X if the pitot static fails, I fly a lot of IFR. (I do have a Stratus 3 I have on the dash for AHRS and ADSB in) It's 10 years old and maybe an update is a good idea. They rebuild my unit with new display and guts. I need a new $155.00 back up battery anyway...new one has a new battery.

My panel is old as well, Garmin 480 GPS, GMX200 map. ADSB out. Century 2000 Auto pilot. Replaced panel about 2009 that is nice.

Money is an issue and I don't want to go crazy. All is working fine now.

....Two reasons: Back up AHRS if the pitot static fails, I hate that my current unit will red X if the pitot static fails, I fly a lot of IFR.....

How many times have you got the red X in all your IFR flying? I’m not saying it isn’t great that they fixed that potential hazard, but I’m having a hard time justifying the expense to upgrade mine for a little brighter screen and slightly better processing speeds.

How many times have you got the red X in all your IFR flying? I’m not saying it isn’t great that they fixed that potential hazard, but I’m having a hard time justifying the expense to upgrade mine for a little brighter screen and slightly better processing speeds.

Never got the X's. It just makes checking the pitot heat even more important.
I guess the $155 battery will keep me going a few more years, then it will be better and cheaper, most likely. Then I'll likely address the other older items.
Are you going to do the upgrade?

I’m in the same boat and went back and forth a few times on the decision. I eventually decided against it for a few reasons:
  1. The upgrade is not required for TruTrak integration
  2. There is not a significant functionality uplift
  3. If I am worried about the pitot blockage issue (which I am), there are other AHRS gyros which do not suffer from that issue available for around the same money (e.g. Sandia)
  4. They are currently booking out in October for the upgrade according to Flying
  5. No assurance that the promotional price is all that will be required for the upgrade. The FAA may require more hardware when certified.

....[*]If I am worried about the pitot blockage issue (which I am), there are other AHRS gyros which do not suffer from that issue available for around the same money (e.g. Sandia)...

New or old aspen wont prevent pitot blockage but if you’re referring to the infamous red x, the upgrade fixes that so it seems odd to have that as a reason not to upgrade.

New or old aspen wont prevent pitot blockage but if you’re referring to the infamous red x, the upgrade fixes that so it seems odd to have that as a reason not to upgrade.

Yes. The red x. My rationale is that for not much more I can install an SAI 340 which can operate in degraded mode instead. that would provide a fix for the issue and a redundant gyro too.

Yes. The red x. My rationale is that for not much more I can install an SAI 340 which can operate in degraded mode instead. that would provide a fix for the issue and a redundant gyro too.

Oh, and keep the aspen? Gotcha.

I’m a perfect world where a bag of money dropped in my lap I would prob have to get rid of the aspen and do the g3x/stupid g5 (acceptable backup)/gfc500 combo if/when my old brittain AP craps out. Otherwise I love that aspen and will keep it for now.

Like my aspen,after talking to the rep. At sun n fun ,not sure I want to upgrade.

I like mine as well. Never had the red Xs in flight.

But point of information here. Doesn’t everyone already have a backup AI, whether vacuum driven or otherwise? This was required to use the ASPEN as a EFIS. So if I had a blocked Pitot, I would still have my backup AI. My ASI on the Aspen and backup ASI would be in error/inoperable, but other static connected instruments should work, or at least with alternate air. I think we lose the ASPEN HSI with the red X problem, but still have a compass and other radios, like GPS on the panel, to get where we need to go. So even though Aspen has a fix with the upgrade, it is not needed to fly IFR.

Obviously, with the Xs, first step is to turn on Pitot heat and get out of icing conditions.

The 480 is on life support and that will end soon. If I were to spend money it would be something to replace that.

Our club is upgrading ours. In addition to features, it gets you a new vs 10 year old unit with warranty. Not bad for 3k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I upgraded to Steamboat skiing from Aspen skiing. Nicer people and way cheaper.

Cheers

The 480 is on life support and that will end soon. If I were to spend money it would be something to replace that.

Yes. No more repairs by Garmin, no more support. I'll keep that until I have problems with it. I'm understanding how to program it and I'm starting to like it.

I upgraded to Steamboat skiing from Aspen skiing. Nicer people and way cheaper.

Cheers

I'll have to try Steamboat sometime.... We had a good season at Mt. Hood in Portland, OR.

So what if the upgrade for the Aspen was cheaper, say $1900.00?
Would you do it then?
I'd be way more tempted.

It was .... Up until Jan, then it went up a grand. After this month, it goes up to 5 grand. I would do it if i were you, you get a better screen, faster processor and another 2 year warranty.

So what if the upgrade for the Aspen was cheaper, say $1900.00?
Would you do it then?
I'd be way more tempted.

It was .... Up until Jan, then it went up a grand. After this month, it goes up to 5 grand. I would do it if i were you, you get a better screen, faster processor and another 2 year warranty.

I don’t think it ever was, I was curious about that and went back to look. When they announced the Max the upgrade was going to cost “around 2k”, but it was nothing formal at that point.

I don’t think it ever was, I was curious about that and went back to look. When they announced the Max the upgrade was going to cost “around 2k”, but it was nothing formal at that point.

If you bought by Jan, it was $1995, then they they upped to to $2995. After May 1st, its $4995. It's all on their website.

If you bought by Jan, it was $1995, then they they upped to to $2995. After May 1st, its $4995. It's all on their website.

That’s what I thought too, but the lower cost upgrade was only available for those who purchased a new Pro1000 at the time.

During the month of September, purchase an EFD1000 Pro PFD for the price of $7,995 ($3,000 off list price). This is the lowest price offered for the versatile, capable, easy-to-use, and the most affordable, full-featured Primary Flight Display on the market.

With the purchase of an EFD1000 Pro PFD now, you have the choice to upgrade to the EFD1000 Pro MAX (available Q1 2019) at a locked in price of $1,995 list ANYTIME BEFORE MARCH 2020! This is a $1,000 savings off the introductory MAX upgrade price and includes a new two-year manufacturer's warranty. https://bit.ly/2wNgiTd
Looks like they later extended the offer into January

So it is looking like the upgrade will be $2999.00 plus an estimate of 6 hours of shop time, + $600.00 for the upgrade. For the Pro Max that hasn't been released yet and the installation manual hasn't been released, so we have no idea exactly what will be required for install.
OR
Upgrade the software and backup battery for $300.00.

I'm leaning towards the $300.00 option with the old Aspen. I've still got a back up vacuum system. My other avionics are old anyway.
I keep being told the new Pro Max is "more reliable" but how can that be "true" if it hasn't been released yet??

So it is looking like the upgrade will be $2999.00 plus an estimate of 6 hours of shop time, + $600.00 for the upgrade. For the Pro Max that hasn't been released yet and the installation manual hasn't been released, so we have no idea exactly what will be required for install.
OR
Upgrade the software and backup battery for $300.00.

I'm leaning towards the $300.00 option with the old Aspen. I've still got a back up vacuum system. My other avionics are old anyway.
I keep being told the new Pro Max is "more reliable" but how can that be "true" if it hasn't been released yet??

6 hours shop time? Someone is screwing you over on that. $600 for the upgrade?? Dunno who's charging that but your shop maybe pulling one over on you. Aspen only charges an additional $500 for the upgrade if you prefer not to wait the 10 days in their factory for the upgrade, that $500 buys you an immediate turn around as they will send one of their shelf and use yours as a core.

You can save the 500 if you don't mind waiting the 10 days. Aspen had promised its a direct swap, no wiring changes needed (unless you want to add the audio output to your panel ... Then it's a single wire run )

The issue with the aspen upgrade is they cannot tell you why all needs to be replaced yet. They are hoping for a straight replacement but they state that they do not know what will all be needed for them installation.

The issue with the aspen upgrade is they cannot tell you why all needs to be replaced yet. They are hoping for a straight replacement but they state that they do not know what will all be needed for them installation.

Sounds like a doctor telling you the worst case scenarios of a surgery or medicine or an FBO ur looking to get a checkout from telling u it could take three hours etc..... they don’t know what’s installed in every single panel and what they’ll need to do so they clarify it.

6 hours shop time? Someone is screwing you over on that. $600 for the upgrade?? Dunno who's charging that but your shop maybe pulling one over on you. Aspen only charges an additional $500 for the upgrade if you prefer not to wait the 10 days in their factory for the upgrade, that $500 buys you an immediate turn around as they will send one of their shelf and use yours as a core.

You can save the 500 if you don't mind waiting the 10 days. Aspen had promised its a direct swap, no wiring changes needed (unless you want to add the audio output to your panel ... Then it's a single wire run )

Yes for a 500 dollar fee you can skip the 10 day down time for the "upgrade".
My shop said 6 hours / 600 dollars maybe for installation but they don't know what the installation will be because the installation documents have not been released yet. So a worst case guess, I'm guessing. Maybe it will be a direct swap with only some set up time. Who knows???
I could call Aspen and ask them but they are not on the hook for the install no matter what happens.

I think I'll stick with my 2009 Aspen PFD1000, update the software and put a new battery in it.

Sounds like a doctor telling you the worst case scenarios of a surgery or medicine or an FBO ur looking to get a checkout from telling u it could take three hours etc..... they don’t know what’s installed in every single panel and what they’ll need to do so they clarify it.

You understand I am referring to what ASPEN says about the install of their own equipment, not someones individual plane needs or their shop.

Aspen is pushing for a direct swap but it has not been approved. So Aspen is not sure what else you will need to install, remove or do to make the upgrade to MAX. IT could require a new wire as we just saw with Garmin, additional parts, replacement of other equipment etc. Aspen has no clue what else will be needed.

I've changed my mind. I think I'll spend the $3000 for the upgrade. I'll wait as long as possible to actually do it and see how the new ones are doing in-flight and regarding install. I can always cancel if there are problems. I'm guessing a year wait...

So I’m about to do this upgrade. It’s scheduled the end of January. I’m not sure I want to do it at 3k$ I put in a new backup battery and my 10 year old Aspen is doing great. I’ll probably do it for the AHRS.... I love my old Aspen.

Has anyone done the upgrade or do you have the PRO Max?
Give me the good and the bad....

Back