FBO place prop lock on for you??

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
so I flew into KCGS for the first time. Did my FRZ clearances and was well worth it as it’s only a few min from my sisters place. The line guy comes up to help me push back and tie up and then places a prop lock on the plane? Anybody ever run into that before?? It was a first for me. Is there that much airplane theft that they feel that is necessary???

First off, no way!
Second, who has the keys?

I wasn’t charged a fee. Was there less then 4 hours. I fueled up at home anticipating a high fuel price there so didn’t buy any fuel but will next time as it’s cheaper then at home lol.
I should have just protested But it caught me so off guard.
Figured it was for my own good.

KBED,uses prop locks on all planes.

It is a requirement for the planes in FRZ airports to have a prop lock. I also landed at KCGS two years ago and brought with me a heavy cable and motorcycle lock. They appreciated that as they have limited numbers of prop locks, but they do offer them free. KCGS is a great airport and I can't speak highly enough of the staff there.

KCGS offered you a required service and did not you charge for it.

It ain't for your own good. . .I'm based at KCGS - TSA and other alphabet agencies live in fear of a C172 being used as an instrument of mass destruction, and being only a couple of minutes from downtown DC, the prop lock is one of the asinine security theater measures. The airport figures most visitors won't have a prop lock, so they supply one to make the Feds happy. You can put it on yourself, though the line folks are quite careful about not dinging props and paint.

At least at KCGS they lock up the PII of the cleared pilots based there - several of the other SFRA and FRZ airports leave it in unlocked filing cabinets behind the counters. Fuel prices at CGS are consistently on the lower side.

It ain't for your own good. . .I'm based at KCGS - TSA and other alphabet agencies live in fear of a C172 being used as an instrument of mass destruction, and being only a couple of minutes from downtown DC, the prop lock is one of the asinine security theater measures.

And then they wonder why some of us are so down on Thousands Standing Around and other such wastes of our tax money.

Is there that much airplane theft that they feel that is necessary???
I suspect there are way more well-connected local residence who are afraid of scary airplanes and are more than happy to be comforted by these sorts of security theater antics.

It ain't for your own good. . .I'm based at KCGS - TSA and other alphabet agencies live in fear of a C172 being used as an instrument of mass destruction, and being only a couple of minutes from downtown DC, the prop lock is one of the asinine security theater measures. The airport figures most visitors won't have a prop lock, so they supply one to make the Feds happy. You can put it on yourself, though the line folks are quite careful about not dinging props and paint.

At least at KCGS they lock up the PII of the cleared pilots based there - several of the other SFRA and FRZ airports leave it in unlocked filing cabinets behind the counters. Fuel prices at CGS are consistently on the lower side.
That makes more sense. I didn’t really mind and had to take a leak so bad didn’t stick around to ask questions lol.
It was a weird little airport to get into. Approaching from the north it is hard to pick it out. The runway environment is hidden by those taller trees. Coming over those buildings to 15 was different and I floated it a bit.

Back