Best way to test a questionable (ANR) headset?

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
I have some extra headsets that I would like to unload. Four of them are Sennheiser ANR units. Two of them are GA and two are heli. Just addressing the GA headsets, I have used them in the past both with and without the ANR enabled and there has always been a question as to whether they were interfering or interacting with the a/c avionics so as to add some unwanted noise. The thing is this was always in old a/c so I do not know if the problem was in the a/c or in the headsets or maybe in the interaction. For this reason, I stopped using them and bought two new DC passives.

I would like to sell them if I can figure out a way to definitively assess their condition. I would like to do it without spending $$, if possible. Any ideas?

edit: FWIW, they are Sennheiser HMEC 300 units.

You got a hand held radio you can plug them into?

I had an old ANR set that would kill batteries quickly and when they got low it would blast this horrible noise at high volume in your ears.

You got a hand held radio you can plug them into?

I had an old ANR set that would kill batteries quickly and when they got low it would blast this horrible noise at high volume in your ears.

Ouch :)

I do have a handheld but the thing is, they do sent and receive. I have not used them in a few years and I should probably refresh my memory but both me and my pax noticed something amiss with them. Not sure it would show up on a handheld. Maybe I need to pay an avionics shop if they have the capability and it is not too expensive.

Just fess up about the issue in the ad, say it might have been the old airplane and sell them as is. Why would you want to burden some poor sap with a potential problem?

Just fess up about the issue in the ad, say it might have been the old airplane and sell them as is. Why would you want to burden some poor sap with a potential problem?
Your two sentences seem to say the opposite things.

Can you definitively say the problem is with the headsets?

Put them on EBay for $100 as is, last known condition working. Upgraded to better performing headset.

If that were my plan, I would not be asking how to test them nor willing to pay an avionics shop a reasonable fee (say $25 each) to test them.

Your two sentences seem to say the opposite things.

I'm not an English major Salty, but I thought it was pretty clear. I'm saying tell a buyer up front he had a problem with them, what the problem was, and that it may or may not have been the airplane he was flying at the time. It sounds like he wants a quick test, then say nothing about the issues he's had with them. Who knows if a quick test will identify the issue. Let the buyer decide if it's worth the risk.

If that were my plan, I would not be asking how to test them nor willing to pay an avionics shop a reasonable fee (say $25 each) to test them.

Alfadog, I'm thinking a cheap test, may or may not identify if there is something wrong with them. You obviously thought there was an issue with them because you bought new headsets. I'd be up front, but that's the way I am, YMMV.

...It sounds like he wants a quick test, then say nothing about the issues he's had with them...

Well, that's certainly a heck of an assumption there. And I don't bother defending myself against that sort of thing.

Back to the subject at hand, if I can't figure out a decent way to test them then I might send them back to Sennheiser.

Well, that's certainly a heck of an assumption there. And I don't bother defending myself against that sort of thing.

Back to the subject at hand, if I can't figure out a decent way to test them then I might send them back to Sennheiser.

Sorry, I misunderstood that you were going to tell the buyer you had an issue with them, you could have just said that before and I would apologized and been done with it.

I'm not an English major Salty, but I thought it was pretty clear. I'm saying tell a buyer up front he had a problem with them, what the problem was, and that it may or may not have been the airplane he was flying at the time. It sounds like he wants a quick test, then say nothing about the issues he's had with them. Who knows if a quick test will identify the issue. Let the buyer decide if it's worth the risk.

Alfadog, I'm thinking a cheap test, may or may not identify if there is something wrong with them. You obviously thought there was an issue with them because you bought new headsets. I'd be up front, but that's the way I am, YMMV.
Ok, it just seems to me that not verifying they are in working order is still saddling the buyer with the problem.

Sorry, I misunderstood that you were going to tell the buyer you had an issue with them, you could have just said that before and I would apologized and been done with it.

I did say that I am looking to "definitively assess their condition". Not just stick them in an airplane and see what they sound like. I'm looking for some advice from folks here more knowledgeable about headsets than I am. Which does not take a lot.

Take them for a test flight in a 'not old A/C.'

seems easy enough.

Otherwise, send them to the manufacturer and let them tell you their health,

Ok, it just seems to me that not verifying they are in working order is still saddling the buyer with the problem.

Not if you tell them up front, which was my point. I would say, "Hey, I bought these, used them and had these issues, just want you to know up front." If I had them checked, then I would add, "I had them checked, so and so said they are fine, but just want you to know." If I didn't have them checked, I would tell the guy. Then he has no excuse to come back to me if he has the issue and my conscience is clear. Apparently this was Alfa's plan, so I stand corrected, kudos to him.

I did say that I am looking to "definitively assess their condition". Not just stick them in an airplane and see what they sound like. I'm looking for some advice from folks here more knowledgeable about headsets than I am. Which does not take a lot.

I think calling Sennheiser might be the way to go, tell them the issue. They may take care of it for you.

I think he wants to figure the issue out before he sells them, so the buyer doesn't have to.

Ouch :)

I do have a handheld but the thing is, they do sent and receive. I have not used them in a few years and I should probably refresh my memory but both me and my pax noticed something amiss with them. Not sure it would show up on a handheld. Maybe I need to pay an avionics shop if they have the capability and it is not too expensive.

Did you both notice and issue with the ANR off? If the ANR is off and there is an issue there's a chance it wasn't the headset. A passive headset has much less of a chance of making noise.

If it only happened with the ANR on, then you should be able to turn on the headsets, not plug them into anything and see what happens after a couple of hours. If you hear any noise it's definitely the headset. If you haven't tried that, it's worth a shot.

Back